• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought book off eBay
1 1

281 posts in this topic

Hi,  I just bought an amazing Spider-Man 29 off eBay for 17 dollars (plus 5 for shipping). There were pictures but couldn’t tell much, but the listing said it was a nice copy. When I got the book it was in brutal shape.  I think the front cover was detached because there were staples all along the binding. Also there was a long strip of tape on top of the staples along the binding. There were also rips on the top and bottom of the cover. I contacted the seller to see if he accepted returns and he said he didn’t and asked what the issue was. I told him the book was in really rough shape and he said it was a nice copy. He said I should’ve been able to tell the shape if it from the pictures . Ultimately he said he’d accept a return or if I wanted he would refund me five bucks and I could keep the book. That is what I chose to do. What do you think?

If you don't like the book, return it for a full refund. Ebay will side with you if you are saying the book is not as described (extra staples to put back a detached cover....really???) and in the future beware of listings with crappy pictures. You just have to decide if the $17 is worth your time a trouble to repack and return.  

I think that you got your moneys worth. $17 sounds like a readers copy and now you have $5 back...

It really depends on how YOU feel about it. If your going to buy not to read, may I suggest you buy already graded and slabbed copies...

6 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Dude certainly stretched the definition of “nice”, but the pics clearly showed that this book was in chit shape.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Dude certainly stretched the definition of “nice”, but the pics clearly showed that this book was in chit shape.

Guaranteed Carp!

Just now, Yodisd said:

Kinda hard to see but there’s tape all along the binding 

6 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Didn’t pay attention to pics like should’ve, was going off the part he said nice copy

1 minute ago, Yodisd said:

Didn’t pay attention to pics like should’ve, was going off the part he said nice copy

eBay will be a harsh lesson unless you start paying attention. 

2 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

yeah, those pics show the defects pretty well. I would consider it a lesson learned.  At least you got the "god" copy!

In other news, a woman from Chipping Norton was appalled yesterday to find poo on three sheets of a used toilet roll she had purchased from eBay. "I could see what looked like poo stains in the picture, but the listing said 'good used condition' so I went ahead and bought it. I'm furious!"

that appears to be "60c" as in 60 cents price when someone tried to resell it?

A nice copy to one person can mean something very different to others. Maybe his other books are pure garbage. Ultimately though-- not examining the pictures closely is on the buyer. "Nice copy" is by no means any grade assigned, just a subjective term. 

You must have bought this looking at it on your phone because those pictures clearly show a lot of defects.

Still, you were expecting a "nice" copy at $17?  Nice is subjective but even at the low end of what I might call nice GP shows a 4.0 going for about $50, while a 6-7.0 goes for around $100.   I don't think you got a deal by any means but this isn't the seller's fault.   You can take the $5 and call it a day but don't be shocked if the seller blocks you because you got what you paid for.

If it were me, I'd forget the whole thing and just chalk it up to not using a  phone to look at pics on possible purchases.  I don't expect a seller to make up for my own mistakes, but that's me.

There is nothing nice about this book, but your expectations and what you got are wildly different. I cant see how you 
thought it was a nice copy even with bad pictures.

If there was no grade in the auction then I would send the book back if nothing else to teach the seller to grade books
right and not just send crappy pictures and ask you to guess. Anything less then that tells the seller its okay to sell 
like that. 2c

The one thing that annoys me with some sellers is when they share cropped images. But, that's the only thing he did wrong, really (besides saying it was nice. But maybe he thought it was). Even with the images being cropped, you can see all the flaws, including the tape and extra staples, and even the missing back cover.

8 minutes ago, spracknetch23 said:

The one thing that annoys me with some sellers is when they share cropped images. But, that's the only thing he did wrong, really (besides saying it was nice. But maybe he thought it was). Even with the images being cropped, you can see all the flaws, including the tape and extra staples, and even the missing back cover.

I almost PM'ed a seller here today to say "please put a little paper on the edges so that the scanner catches the whole book". Just toss a little paper on the corners!