• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This cover is horrible, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar!
5 5

598 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2023 at 5:51 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Being just shy of 60, I can vouch for this.

I recall the pinpoint accuracy of my youth.

The continued transmogrification of this thread in new and exciting directions is startling. And we have @Get Marwood & I to thank for this literary gift.

Edited by Kramerica
I cant spel

On 7/4/2023 at 3:11 PM, Kramerica said:

The continued transmogrification of this thread in new and exciting directions is startling. And we have @Get Marwood & I to thank for this literary gift.

You’re right. I’m now in a different mood where it seems a bit too crass.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/4/2023 at 3:53 PM, Kramerica said:

Let's steer it back into acceptable territory

IMG_4700.thumb.JPEG.3257e061a6e48f15dfdbaccdbd56610c.JPEG

I concur.

On 7/4/2023 at 3:53 PM, Kramerica said:

Let's steer it back into acceptable territory

IMG_4700.thumb.JPEG.3257e061a6e48f15dfdbaccdbd56610c.JPEG

Interesting cover, but somewhat muddled in the background when you look at it from a distance.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:30 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I think Miller’s artistic deterioration is quite tragic. From what I’ve read on the boards he doesn’t seem in good health.

This kind of commentary is almost as tedious as Lee/Kirby discussions. Miller has been drawing like this for decades. Granted, his style has become much more abstract and simplified, but Elektra Lives Again was 33 years ago. I believe what most consider Miller's peak was more due to Janson's inks and/or Varley's coloring because they softened his harsher edges. Compositionally, he's still better than most of his peers.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:40 PM, stock_rotation said:

This kind of commentary is almost as tedious as Lee/Kirby discussions. Miller has been drawing like this for decades. Granted, his style has become much more abstract and simplified, but Elektra Lives Again was 33 years ago. I believe what most consider Miller's peak was more due to Janson's inks and/or Varley's coloring because they softened his harsher edges. Compositionally, he's still better than most of his peers.

Pardon me.

I still think the style he’s used since DK 2 at least is terrible, as are many of his covers since then.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/4/2023 at 11:40 AM, stock_rotation said:

To me, Miller hit his peak with RONIN.

he was never good with anatomy, but he made up for it with his storytelling abilities 

On 7/4/2023 at 12:08 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Pardon me.

I still think the style he’s used since DK 2 at least is terrible, as are many of his covers since then.

Sorry I wasn't clearer; that wasn't an attack on you personally. I was addressing the internet's general person_without_enough_empathyiness towards Miller's art. 

And I wasn't clear on my reference, either; Elektra Lives Again came out in 1990.

Ninja Zombies! - Frank Miller and Lynn Varley's Elektra Lives Again -  YouTube

On 7/4/2023 at 10:37 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

This cover has always bothered me....

55412E49-4A8B-47A5-A624-0A54B90E3F16.jpeg.5c4d2523af7d2935b0a3154e0a974d63.jpeg

Mediocre. Still far, far better than Howard Chaykin’s famous short-armed Wolverine panel.

On 7/4/2023 at 5:53 PM, stock_rotation said:

Sorry I wasn't clearer; that wasn't an attack on you personally. I was addressing the internet's general person_without_enough_empathyiness towards Miller's art. 

And I wasn't clear on my reference, either; Elektra Lives Again came out in 1990.

Ninja Zombies! - Frank Miller and Lynn Varley's Elektra Lives Again -  YouTube

I agree with what you said about Janson smoothing out Miller’s art, as I really like his Daredevil and Dark Knight Returns, as well as Ronin in between, which had an interesting, European, Heavy Metal quality to it.

But, this is the point at which I stopped following his work, as I found the art in this graphic novel to be a bit abrasive and scrappy-looking in comparison to the earlier, slicker BA  / CA  Daredevil material.  Really disliked it.

But, as you said, his style evolved and it’s inevitable that this will risk polarising the audience. Same for any creator.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/5/2023 at 8:32 AM, darkstar said:

4243543543.thumb.jpg.39446e122cb66019a453114b6f4d7b43.jpg

567576.gif.1754c641a10dc51088fa92c19cad744b.gif

54364444444.thumb.png.8b0e8e0b33cba9c70fb17dc760ef6003.png

4565.gif.80162e47419d5d4edde5d3ca408e0f7d.gif

But that says 18?