• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

832 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2023 at 11:23 AM, Bosco685 said:

Odd how there wasn't all this excitement to adjust box office results when #BeatAvatar was being pushed during the Avengers: Endgame rush to be the top film.

Adjusted for inflation, Avatar is one place ahead of Endgame on the all-time list.

Why do you have to assume that I have some bizarre agenda to my thoughts?

On 1/22/2023 at 12:56 PM, sledgehammer said:

Adjusted for inflation, Avatar is one place ahead of Endgame on the all-time list.

Oh, I don't know. Read your last few posts.

:baiting:

Ok, does anyone else that reads this think it means something other than $1.16 billion, out of the $2 billion TOTAL??

:popcorn:

Director James Cameron has pushed for moviegoers to watch “Avatar: The Way of Water” on the big screen and in 3D — as he did with its 2009 predecessor. That is the format for which it was intended. The box office numbers shows that the majority of those who have bought a ticket have listened.

According to data from Comscore and 3D format company RealD, 61% of all tickets sold worldwide for “Avatar 2” so far have been for 3D screenings, amounting to $1.16 billion in global revenue.

On 1/22/2023 at 11:59 AM, Bosco685 said:
On 1/22/2023 at 11:56 AM, sledgehammer said:

Oh, I don't know. Read your last few posts.

I guess in this case we can leave the "me" out of what they usually say about "assuming".

:fear:

On 1/22/2023 at 1:02 PM, sledgehammer said:

Ok, does anyone else that reads this think it means something other than $1.16 billion, out of the $2 billion TOTAL??

Director James Cameron has pushed for moviegoers to watch “Avatar: The Way of Water” on the big screen and in 3D — as he did with its 2009 predecessor. That is the format for which it was intended. The box office numbers shows that the majority of those who have bought a ticket have listened.

According to data from Comscore and 3D format company RealD, 61% of all tickets sold worldwide for “Avatar 2” so far have been for 3D screenings, amounting to $1.16 billion in global revenue.

This is a demonstration of "why of course I'm not attempting to detract from the film the thread is about"

(:

Seriously. I have no issue with you. But come on. It is beyond obvious.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:29 PM, Bosco685 said:

This is a demonstration of "why of course I'm not attempting to detract from the film the thread is about"

(:

Seriously. I have no issue with you. But come on. It is beyond obvious.

Sure.

You go ahead and get to work on finding evidence that I don't acknowledge coherent thoughts.

Do me a favor tho, stop with the nonsensical retribution emoji attack, and don't quote me anymore.

K? Thx.

(thumbsu

On 1/22/2023 at 12:41 PM, sledgehammer said:

The link you provided to boxofficemojo is only the domestic ticket sales.

You also stated "adjusted ticket sales". Nothing about ticket sales is adjusted.

:makepoint:

You really are taking this very personal. Why?

Domestic is the only one that box office aggregators can guesstimate. Oh - and the 'nothing about ticket sales is adjusted'.

ticket_sales.thumb.PNG.56edb7694a55ad9f2da440c0a9d689fd.PNG

The whole adjusted inflation rates is based on adjusted ticket sales. Or did you not realize this?

:makepoint:

On 1/22/2023 at 1:40 PM, sledgehammer said:

Sure.

You go ahead and get to work on finding evidence that I don't acknowledge coherent thoughts.

Do me a favor tho, stop with the nonsensical retribution emoji attack, and don't quote me anymore.

K? Thx.

(thumbsu

Oh, but when you do it that is okay?

Thanks. Meanwhile, glad I could provide the clarity you had missed.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:02 AM, sledgehammer said:

It's not well worded, so I can see where someone might think $1.16 billion is the TOTAL and 61 percent of that is the 3D box office.  It doesn't help that $1.16 billion is not 61 percent of $2 billion.

On 1/22/2023 at 1:51 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It's not well worded, so I can see where someone might think $1.16 billion is the TOTAL and 61 percent of that is the 3D box office.  It doesn't help that $1.16 billion is not 61 percent of $2 billion.

Comscore is the industry tracking aggregator the analysts pull from.

But also remember this is an article written two days ago (20th) based on box office from three days ago.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:51 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It's close (@58%). But also, I don't know for a fact that international 3D tickets cost more.

I don't subscribe to the link he posted, so I can't read anything else that he misinterpreted, beyond the first few sentences.

On 1/22/2023 at 2:16 PM, sledgehammer said:

It's close (@58%). But also, I don't know for a fact that international 3D tickets cost more.

I don't subscribe to the link he posted, so I can't read anything else that he misinterpreted, beyond the first few sentences.

Again, you are taking it very personal.

Read above why the numbers differ, which doesn't take site access.

Anything else?

On 1/22/2023 at 11:46 AM, sledgehammer said:
On 1/22/2023 at 11:23 AM, Bosco685 said:

‘Avatar 2’ Has Made Over $1 Billion From 3D Screenings Alone

So the ticket sales rates are based on 2-D results. BOM would have to guesstimate 3-D theater distribution at a point in time.

First of all, ticket sales and ticket prices are 2 different things.

They take revenue, divide it by the average ticket price, and extrapolate the quantitative number, "tickets sold".

Second, boxofficemojo only does this in the "all time box office" adjusted for inflation tabulation, which Avatar 2 does not yet appear.

So your statement is unintelligible, and almost certainly false.

Maybe I'm wrong. All you have to show me is a reference to tickets sold on boxofficemojo for Avatar 2.

Go ahead, you can do it.

On 1/22/2023 at 2:35 PM, sledgehammer said:

First of all, ticket sales and ticket prices are 2 different things.

They take revenue, divide it by the average ticket price, and extrapolate the quantitative number, "tickets sold".

Second, boxofficemojo only does this in the "all time box office" adjusted for inflation tabulation, which Avatar 2 does not yet appear.

So your statement is unintelligible, and almost certainly false.

Maybe I'm wrong. All you have to show me is a reference to tickets sold on boxofficemojo for Avatar 2.

Go ahead, you can do it.

Unfortunately, you misunderstood how box office aggregators attempt to statistically determine inflation-adjusted results going back to the earliest days of Hollywood. Including the focus on the Domestic market because 1) That was the key market going into the 1980s, and 2) Ticket results were only captured by certain studios and again within the Domestic market.

On 1/22/2023 at 2:38 PM, sledgehammer said:

you can do iit.gif

Another demonstration how personal you are taking this. Though it was clear for a little bit even before today your attempt was to convey $2B nowadays is not that big a deal. Not sure what that gained. But the reaction to today's chat you were referencing details you didn't clearly understand has become evident. And all you had to do is reference the link I gave you for BOM.

BOX OFFICE MOJO - Top Lifetime Adjusted Grosses

Now what you do is go to that link, and at the top of the page BOM outlines the inflation-adjusted methodology and the limitations due to the Hollywood ticket sales limitations. Along with outlining how it used adjusted ticket prices which it then multiples against ESTIMATED TOTAL TICKETS SOLD to guesstimate the reference points it provides.

BOM_IBO01.PNG.07af469ba93475a942685304b3a795c5.PNG

So rather than playing games and pretending I was not clear on these things, or that I misinterpreted data, do more reading. I've helped you with a credible source.

Or is this where I post the funny GIFs to enhance the situation how little you knew about these details? Let me know.

On 1/16/2023 at 11:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

Avatar_BO_230116.thumb.PNG.13d5afb90dac99867f4c075379b6b58b.PNG

1/16/23: $1.903B * 61% = $1.16B  - The Wrap article was referencing 1/16 worldwide box office results when that article was written.

elementary-watson.gif.3a1fe904d8a30f4faec3f1eb3a2b6eb4.gif

Edited by Bosco685

On 1/22/2023 at 2:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

1/16/23: $1.903B * 61% = $1.16B  - The Wrap article was referencing 1/16 worldwide box office results when that article was written.

elementary-watson.gif.3a1fe904d8a30f4faec3f1eb3a2b6eb4.gif

Of course it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pullhair:

So what were you talking about when you said this, in reference to it??

"So the ticket sales rates are based on 2-D results. BOM would have to guesstimate 3-D theater distribution at a point in time."

LMFAO.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:48 PM, sledgehammer said:

Of course it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pullhair:

So what were you talking about when you said this, in reference to it??

"So the ticket sales rates are based on 2-D results. BOM would have to guesstimate 3-D theater distribution at a point in time."

LMFAO.

Again, see how personal you have taken this and tried to dismiss real numbers from reporting sites that track the industry? And I could actually point to the day they referenced this past week, so not sure why you are attempting to discredit logic. Other than due to some misunderstood hurt feelings.

Was it a film Cameron produced or directed that offended you? (shrug)