• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a year too long for my book to be delivered from Paradise Comics?
7 7

852 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

So, am I missing something or has no one called or visited the store and demanded the CGC invoice number for their books yet?

The problem with visiting the store is making sure you see Peter the owner.  He is not there everyday and when he is there he is not usually there for long.  Seeing anyone else is a waste of time.

1 minute ago, Zevgoli said:

The problem with visiting the store is making sure you see Peter the owner.  He is not there everyday and when he is there he is not usually there for long.  Seeing anyone else is a waste of time.

So he's the owner but doesn't spend any time there?  And he's the only one with access to the information his customers need? 

You're being far too patient. 

1 hour ago, pjray55 said:

Sounds a bit like a Ponzi scheme.

Collecting money from many promising a service or good.  Use that money for other interests and fulfill only a small percentage of those contracts,  Over time you are then unable to satisfy the demands of those you have obligations to nor do you have the financial means to make it right until the pressure becomes so great and there is no plausible way out of the mess that has been created and the bubble bursts..

Patience is not a virtue if this is in fact what is going on.  You don't want to be the one with nooks in their possession or at CGC under their account when that bubble does in fact burst. 

There was a pic posted previously from their social media account with a large number of books "supposedly" on their way to CGC.  If financial trouble are the root of this there are going to be a lot of people left exposed. 

Think about it.  If these books have been in their possession for 8-12 months and every month they continue to take in money AND books for submission to CGC this could be a significant amount of money and market value in books that we are talking about here.

Hoping for a resolution for all those involved. 

Sounds a whole heck of a lot like a Ponzi scheme.  I would bet if @ComicArtAddict called CGC and asked for a received date on his invoice, it will probably be something like March 25th, 2018.  I get the feeling that Paradise is trying to satiate the customers that are repeatedly complaining by finally sending their books to CGC under either the Express or Walkthrough tier.  "Ta da, look we sorted it all out with CGC!  If we hadn't put the heat on, they wouldn't have sent your books back till 2036!  Aren't us Paradisers awesome?"

All the while hoping that the remaining customers with idle books who have stayed silent so far will continue to stay silent, and no money (the customers' own money intended for CGC fees mind you) will have to be spent on them.

10 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Sounds a whole heck of a lot like a Ponzi scheme.  I would bet if @ComicArtAddict called CGC and asked for a received date on his invoice, it will probably be something like March 25th, 2018.  I get the feeling that Paradise is trying to satiate the customers that are repeatedly complaining by finally sending their books to CGC under either the Express or Walkthrough tier.  "Ta da, look we sorted it all out with CGC!  If we hadn't put the heat on, they wouldn't have sent your books back till 2036!  Aren't us Paradisers awesome?"

All the while hoping that the remaining customers with idle books who have stayed silent so far will continue to stay silent, and no money (the customers' own money intended for CGC fees mind you) will have to be spent on them.

Paradise will probably not survive. I sincerely hope everyone gets their books.

16 minutes ago, Turtle said:

So he's the owner but doesn't spend any time there?  And he's the only one with access to the information his customers need? 

You're being far too patient. 

I think Peter is the only one there who can actually do something.  I don’t have any faith in Jeff the manager.  I could probably get the status of my books but that is all I would get from him.  Another thing is that I live an hour away from the store so just to keep popping in is not a viable option unless I see Peter.

21 minutes ago, Zevgoli said:

I think Peter is the only one there who can actually do something.  I don’t have any faith in Jeff the manager.  I could probably get the status of my books but that is all I would get from him.  Another thing is that I live an hour away from the store so just to keep popping in is not a viable option unless I see Peter.

Again, I have no idea why the store MANAGER would also not have joint access to the system to check up on customer CGC invoices. It makes ZERO sense.  I mean shouldn't it be easy? Log onto the system and just type in or look for the invoice number (I have no idea how dealer/store system works). With technology today, I cannot fathom why this is so difficult.

I understand getting frustrated with customers who may constantly ask where their book is at every week when it has only been a month or two, but when you have a customer saying it has been nearly a year since they subbed their book and ask where it is and the manager tells you he has no way of looking that up, that only the owner and/or owners partner can and all they keep saying is "we expect a CGC shipment soon"...

Something is very, very wrong...Also funny how once "pressured" the books are magically "located"...

43 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Again, I have no idea why the store MANAGER would also not have joint access to the system to check up on customer CGC invoices. It makes ZERO sense.  I mean shouldn't it be easy? Log onto the system and just type in or look for the invoice number (I have no idea how dealer/store system works). With technology today, I cannot fathom why this is so difficult.

I understand getting frustrated with customers who may constantly ask where their book is at every week when it has only been a month or two, but when you have a customer saying it has been nearly a year since they subbed their book and ask where it is and the manager tells you he has no way of looking that up, that only the owner and/or owners partner can and all they keep saying is "we expect a CGC shipment soon"...

Something is very, very wrong...Also funny how once "pressured" the books are magically "located"...

Agreed. This is feeling way too much like a Ponzi scheme to me. 

If the customers affected are hesitating to speak up and/or take action for fear of “upsetting” Paradise Comics, I think at this point that’s the wrong play. 

I don’t want to see anyone, no matter how passive they are about this, loose their money and books. 

But frankly, I think this Paradise Ponzi is coming pretty close to reaching the tipping point of no return...if it isn’t there already.  Hate to say it, but I think it’s pretty much going to be a given that some people are going to loose their stuff. Now it’s just a question of who. 

I think the people who have the best chance of getting their books are the ones who kick and scream the loudest...and as soon as possible because I think the window of opportunity is closing fast. 

I understand wanting to be reasonable and not go FDQ at the drop of a hat. But that time is past. 

If you think being the “nice guy” is way to go about this you’re most likely going to be one of the ones left empty-handed. 

1 minute ago, Zevgoli said:

I heard back from Peter.  He will check the invoices tomorrow.  BTW I don’t think he lives above the store.

I am going to guess that it goes something like this...

"I have the invoice here and have checked with cgc; they are on top of it now and you should have your book shortly, hopefully by next blahblahday."

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

"I have the invoice here and have checked with cgc; they are on top of it now and you should have your book shortly, hopefully by next blahblahday."

This will be like William Macy in Fargo, faxing illegible car documents as part of his crime.

14 minutes ago, Bird said:

I certainly hope this is the case.

2 hours ago, Zevgoli said:

Peter probably told Jeff to keep his mouth shut. You can blame anyone you want, but Peter IS the bad guy here. "Hi, i'm Peter Dixon, and back in 2000, I was a good guy." I helped CGC with the Signature Series" blah blah blah.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:52 AM, Paradise_Comics said:

Hello everyone. I have been dealing with CGC since 2000 and helped launch the Signature Series label in 2002. With the completion of store renovations and staff turnover this past year there has been some disorganization on our part. We are working with CGC to rectify this and have everyone's comics returned in a timely manner. CGC has been fantastic in helping move things along. We have revamped our staffing situation and have things running much more smoothly and are working hard to ensure this situation never reoccurs.

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

What a load of c r a p.

Edited by icefires

4 hours ago, Zevgoli said:

Doug was the man when there was any issues before he left ... he would call cgc and then call me back with an update that day assuring me books were on their way and I’d usually have them within a week ... peter has a bunch of kids running the place  now... I heard some are co-op students working for nothin 

29062983-A016-40D6-AC11-B0E3511EE500.jpeg

Edited by Paddy_McShillihan

5 hours ago, mattn792 said:

lol well CGC hasn't located my book yet and Peter makes it sound in the email like CGC has it. So ya I wouldn't be surprised if the arrival date of my book was today or in the next couple days. CGC is supposed to contact me when they have an update. So it is one of the questions I'm going to ask.

Anyone who has a book getting CGC'd by them that thinks it should have been back by now should definitely call CGC and see if they have a status. Website for Paradise is down again. Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

1 minute ago, ComicArtAddict said:

lol well CGC hasn't located my book yet and Peter makes it sound in the email like CGC has it. So ya I wouldn't be surprised if the arrival date of my book was today or in the next couple days. CGC is supposed to contact me when they have an update. So it is one of the questions I'm going to ask.

Anyone who has a book getting CGC'd by them that thinks it should have been back by now should definitely call CGC and see if they have a status. Website for Paradise is down again. Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

I emailed CGC twice; once yesterday and once today. Still no response from them. I'm expecting/hoping an email to come tomorrow. Why does this kind of stuff always happen to me :(