• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a year too long for my book to be delivered from Paradise Comics?
7 7

852 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Twistty1 said:

Yes I was having my books pressed... The problem was that I dropped them off with Doug in April, as he told me they were going out the next week. When I called back several months later to inquire I found out that they had not been shipped until June. Doug was no longer there and the new emps had absolutely no info to go on. They were not able to bring anything up on the computer because for some odd reason the owner (Peter) would not allow them access, only he could get the info. I just found it odd that the employees would not be able to get that info with so many customers asking about their books. I finally threatened legal action and they broke down and gave me peters cell number. After several texts he cc'd me on a couple of emails with cgc. Then the books showed up about a month later..

It's a shame because I had been going there for over 17 years and enjoyed chatting with Doug about books from time to time. 

Yes I enjoyed talking with Doug as well about books and the industry and just having a laugh .... its too bad

I have a hard time believing that Pete would use the money for anything other than what it was supposed to be used for, that being said, it could just be me being naive. But, I could not get an answer as to why the books were not shipped for over a month after they were supposed to be shipped out. Something must be happening there as I just don't get why their submissions are taking months longer than anywhere else, I just don't know what it is.

Edited by Twistty1

45 minutes ago, Twistty1 said:

I have a hard time believing that Pete would use the money for anything other than what it was supposed to be used for, that being said, it could just be me being naive. But, I could not get an answer as to why the books were not shipped for over a month after they were supposed to be shipped out. Something must be happening there as I just don't get why their submissions are taking months longer than anywhere else, I just don't know what it is.

I think you are being naive.  Those renovations cost a lot of money.  I saw the before and after.

On 4/5/2018 at 12:55 PM, Zevgoli said:

Email from Peter:

Hi Howard here is the status of your invoices 

1519644 &1519639 Howard Baylis (need these. He has put in a complaint with the better business bureau. 
IN PROCESS (ONE IS AT CCS, ONE AT CGC) Cgc should ship on 4/12

Thanks Peter

I love how Peter always adds that the customer has  threatened or made a complaint in his email to cgc.. My forwarded emails said the same thing "he's threatening legal action." I had several books with them that were worth in excess of 6000 dollars, so I was going out of my mind wondering about their whereabouts. 

I just find this whole thing very puzzling. Makes me wonder about the reason Doug left after being there 20 plus years. To be honest, my only dealings with them over the last few years has been to simply send in books to cgc, I find their prices and stock didn't fit my needs any longer. 

On 4/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, mackenzie999 said:

Chances are they have a presence on social media. I'd make sure all this info, including a link to this thread, appears on their Facebook and other pages.

They're on instagram, and I've posted asking about my books and demanding to know why no one had the decency to call me back. I believe his wife is in charge of the IG account and she was not pleased to say the least... She had some choice words for me... at that point I lost my mind with blind rage and told her how I really felt... lol 

18 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Just saw this on Facebook. This whole thing with them is brutal. They use to be the store I would go to to get local con CGC Sig Series, but not anymore, not after how I  was treated.  The nerve though to advertise they are taking submissions when they likely have a lot more customers than we know of who have been waiting far too long for their books.

Paradise Ottawa.jpg

Oh yeah...Anyone know of any other CGC facilitators who may be going?

15 hours ago, Twistty1 said:

Conversely, I have an easy time believing that customer money was used for everything other than what it was supposed to be used for.  I go back to @Zevgoli 's issue with his SDCC books.  All signatures were obtained at the con, and yet books are still outstanding 8 months (and counting later)?  That may have been par for the course a few years ago when CGC's grading staff was overwhelmed and everyone's books were taking multiple months to wind through the system, but these days its absolutely absurd. 

Almost as absurd as Paradise hauling the completed books back to Canada from San Diego, only to ship them to Florida much later, probably under Express or even Walk Through out of necessity to try and placate complaints, costing them much more out of pocket than if they had just simply dropped the completed books off at CGC's table, under their normal tier, before departing SDCC.  They're even bad at being bad at business.

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Conversely, I have an easy time believing that customer money was used for everything other than what it was supposed to be used for.  I go back to @Zevgoli 's issue with his SDCC books.  All signatures were obtained at the con, and yet books are still outstanding 8 months (and counting later)?  That may have been par for the course a few years ago when CGC's grading staff was overwhelmed and everyone's books were taking multiple months to wind through the system, but these days its absolutely absurd. 

Almost as absurd as Paradise hauling the completed books back to Canada from San Diego, only to ship them to Florida much later, probably under Express or even Walk Through out of necessity to try and placate complaints, costing them much more out of pocket than if they had just simply dropped the completed books off at CGC's table, under their normal tier, before departing SDCC.  They're even bad at being bad at business

I always wonder about this.  I've seen it with multiple facilitators (especially certain Stan Lee facilitators).  I filled the mother-effing paper work.  I gave you the money.  CGC IS ALSO AT THIS CON.  Why are you hauling my books back and forth when you could just give it to CGC right now?????  And why does it get to CGC 2-3 months later???? And why didn't you tell me this when I was PAYING FOR (#&$*@#($&)%)@#(*$ing FAST TRACK????  AND WHY DOES CGC ALLOW THIS????  They think this hasn't cost them money, but I promise it has.

25 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Almost as absurd as Paradise hauling the completed books back to Canada from San Diego, only to ship them to Florida much later, probably under Express or even Walk Through out of necessity to try and placate complaints, costing them much more out of pocket than if they had just simply dropped the completed books off at CGC's table, under their normal tier, before departing SDCC.  They're even bad at being bad at business.

I’m not sure that Paradise took the books back to Canada.  When I called CGC a few weeks ago to inquire about my two invoices he said that the books are there but awaiting payment from Paradise.  So CGC have had the books all along.

1 minute ago, Zevgoli said:

I’m not sure that Paradise took the books back to Canada.  When I called CGC a few weeks ago to inquire about my two invoices he said that the books are there but awaiting payment from Paradise.  So CGC have had the books all along.

Interesting, did CGC say how long they've had them for?  It is mildly surprising that they would agree to store unpaid books for so many months.  That would seem like added liability and storage cost on their end, and I'm guessing they would prefer not to have either on their ledger.  hm

6 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
13 minutes ago, Zevgoli said:

Interesting, did CGC say how long they've had them for?  It is mildly surprising that they would agree to store unpaid books for so many months.  That would seem like added liability and storage cost on their end, and I'm guessing they would prefer not to have either on their ledger.  hm

but it would also cost quite a bit of money to ship and insure books all the way back to Canada.  And especially when dealing with a shady operation, you don't want to be left on the hook for losing the books either.  Its a tough situation.  And MAYBE Paradise was slowly paying when they could, just not fast enough, obviously.

15 hours ago, Zevgoli said:

I think you are being naive.  Those renovations cost a lot of money.  I saw the before and after.

Isn't it possible this could be an issue with renovations and a change in management?  Everything gets boxed up and moved for the renovation and perhaps the books get misplaced or things get confused and they're not sure who owns what.  And there might not have been a orderly transition from the old manager to the new manager and things went sideways.  Money could certainly be the problem but there are other possible explanations.  Either way it's not good.

5 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Isn't it possible this could be an issue with renovations and a change in management?  Everything gets boxed up and moved for the renovation and perhaps the books get misplaced or things get confused and they're not sure who owns what.  And there might not have been a orderly transition from the old manager to the new manager and things went sideways.  Money could certainly be the problem but there are other possible explanations.  Either way it's not good.

I don’t buy that the reno is the fault of all the delays in terms of stock going missing or misplaced.  The store never closed during them so nothing was packed or put away from their regular stock.  I stand by that the cost of the reno did factor into the paying or I should say non paying of the books.  In retrospect Doug’s leaving makes perfect sense as I figure he was tired of what was going on with the CGC books.

14 minutes ago, revat said:

but it would also cost quite a bit of money to ship and insure books all the way back to Canada. 

- Does anyone know CGC's policy on deadbeat books?  I can't imagine they incur the cost of returning them to the sender.

And especially when dealing with a shady operation, you don't want to be left on the hook for losing the books either.  Its a tough situation.  And MAYBE Paradise was slowly paying when they could, just not fast enough, obviously.

- I agree that Paradise was probably trickling payments in.  All those books with no payment would probably lead to a "bleep or get off the pot" moment from CGC eventually.

1 minute ago, Gaard said:

Why can't Paradise just offer an explanation?!?

Hey, you take your logic elsewhere!  This is a situation that clearly calls for inconsistent and misleading statements from the business in question, leaving customers and sympathetic board members to engage in endless conjecture.

49 minutes ago, Zevgoli said:

Why is this the first time I'm seeing this?  I mean, the fact that CGC hasn't received payment yet is pretty much the smoking gun isn't it?