• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,618 posts in this topic

One of my new toys has been the online users list. If I sort it, I can see about how many people are signed on with their IDs.  30 people to a page, we have been averaging between 4 and 6 pages since the software change, but tons of "guests" are also online. Some of those are "bots" I'm sure, but some seem to be viewing things that people would look at. 

I check once or twice a week when I remember to look, sometimes more often. It's been pretty consistent this whole year. However, this has not been the only time I've seen more than 1/2 of the # of people who are signed in posting in this kind of thread. If I had more time I'd check the names against the lists, but I'm not that curious;) 

47 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Maybe Liz should just post more threads, he gets a lot of people to show up;) :foryou:

:blush: 

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

In my opinion, the first major change in the posting habits on these forums happened when Nik passed away. Nik had no problem calling people out on their shenanigans. He also put on the best grading contest the boards ever had every year. 

Like anything else in life, things tend to lose their luster, and with the influx of so many who are just interested in making a buck real discussions with comic content have been diluted over time. 

I think some of the changes are just part of the normal life-cycle of a message board/forum, but Nik’s passing has always been my yardstick, too. There was a definite shift after that point.

9 hours ago, makeminemego said:

I left for about 16 months after being a fairly regular poster and GSB sales thread seller on the old site.  Just came back a couple of weeks ago (my post count reset to 0 for some reason, but maybe that happens after going away for a while?). 

Anyhow, while I'm happy to be visiting the boards again, the place is pretty quiet.  Not a dying mall Sears kind of silent, but pretty danged quiet.  How or why that has happened is anybody's guess, I suppose.

Good to see you around again Casey. (thumbsu 

I'm just here for the likes and provocative pictures of @lizards2.  

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

So true.   The percentage of people who actually read the stuff in between the covers is pretty low here.   The reason I am in this hobby, is I like reading the stories, and looking at the various art styles.  Most of the people on the Modern boards are more about getting that lemming-hyped variant, putting it in a sealed case, and oogling over the latest sales price on ebay.   Well LA-DEE-FRIGGIN-DAA!

ladi.jpg

Would it help to create  a sub forum of some sort based around story discussions? It might feel a little like the movies sub forum. I could see focusing it a few different ways:

1. Threads about the story line of anything newly released
  2. Threads about any story line that you are currently reading right now
  3. Other?

18 hours ago, comicquant said:

But judging is subjective.  

Yes, you're right it is. Cancel all competitions.

17 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

This. I tried the other week on a Modern book that I'm enjoying, and it just got no responses at all. Dead in the water. Admittedly, it was the new Youngblood, which has got some understandable baggage, but getting nothing at all is a real turn-off, especially as a newer member. It's just a shrug and a 'why bother, I tried, I'll take it elsewhere'. 

Don't feel bad MechaF. 99% of posts go unnoticed. I know, I counted. :foryou:

15 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Whose basement do you think i've been shackled in,fed nothing but weenie stuffed pickles?

I'll give you a hint....

He's back!  :applause:

Right, that's the pleasantries out of the way.Punish him liz.

@lizards2

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Instead of endlessly complaining about other people, the answer is the same as it has ever been, for everyone: make better, more logical, more rational, more reasonable, more coherent arguments, and don't be so easily offended so often by so many. Those who claim that other people are intolerant, who "constantly argue", who "always think they're right", and who are "bullies", are almost always, if not always, the ones most guilty of those things themselves. 

If one finds themselves constantly upset when confronted by those with different opinions, perhaps the intolerant one isn't those other people...

You tell em Rock :headbang:

13 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

Seems like half the members want peace and nice nice and the other half wants anarky . :bigsmile:

Now thatt spelin is real anarchy at werk :headbang:

12 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

nothing brings this place together like a good villain bordering on the verge of a FDQ exit unfortunately they are no longer here or are they hm

I agree Janector. When is greggy leaving?

12 hours ago, speedcake said:

This thread is 15 pages long. Who says the forum is dead?! 

Then again, I'm trying to complete an Uncanny and amazing spider-man complete run at the same time. Disregard anything I say at all times.

Don't feel bad speedcake. 99% of things people say go unnoticed. I know, I counted. :foryou:

11 hours ago, deadleg said:

It seems like every 6 months or so, a thread like this pops up in comics general. 

Blame lizard brain deadleg. He started it all with his usual broken record 'everything is terrible' routine. He needs to stop sweating the small stuff and flippin well grow up!

9 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Comix4fun joined in 2002 and has over 40,000 posts and he's still classified as a "member". 

Edit:  In fact, I just checked the leader boards and Roy (VintageComics) has been a member since 2004, has the highest post count with 89,000 posts and he still isn't classified as a "seasoned veteran". lol

2.PNG.6b6e86027725263b826d75989825fc33.PNG  hm  1.PNG.68202a1404a2904ba72f0770c00a94e8.PNG  hm

4 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

I actually read your post on the new Youngblood, but didn't have much to add since I only read the 1st issue. So you aren't completely alone.

A tip for these scenarios Jimbo; leave a like. Then the author knows at least one person read their post. Assuming you liked it, obviously.

hm

Maybe we should have another 'like' choice - "I read your post, but was indifferent to it". Something like that?

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

;)

5a832071e0970_DrWhoWink.gif.61254ceedc81700d9a25a50b7be6701e.gif

;)

;)

Well, I have to say I was pleased to see the level of support for lizards thread here, with the majority seeming to agree that things do appear to be tailing off, and even agreeing on many of the possible reasons that were put forward.

I say again, this place is great, but could be so much greater with a little focus on housekeeping and some effort on improving the basics, especially with newcomers in mind. 

Well done liz - you brought the place alive :headbang:

10 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Would it help to create  a sub forum of some sort based around story discussions? It might feel a little like the movies sub forum. I could see focusing it a few different ways:

3. Other?

That already exists in the Modern section for each title.

I joined in 2005 and would visit here at least 5 times a day and my post count is still just 4211. Comix4fun joined in 2002 and has a post count of 40,3018. Roy Vintagecomics joined in 2004 and has a count post of 89,027. My question is what the heck do you post about to get this many post. They must respond to even their own post lol WOW!!!

Edited by kidcolt

I agree with most of the comments in this thread.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the fact that, in the beginning, Steve B. Was really a presence on the boards. 

He created threads, and posted in threads started by others.

He was always putting together the dinners and get-togethers at shows, which, for me really added to the sense of community here. People would post pics of those so everyone could see what other boardies look like IRL. 

We could butt heads in threads (he got really mad at me for hammering the ‘Wizard First’ idea), then happily talk comics at the board dinners.

Nothing against current management, but I couldn’t even tell you who they are.

That said, I still find a ton of value and fun here, and feel like I post more than ever (though my post count never seems to go up lol).

16 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I suggest we post the following whenever a poster has hit their "like limit"

24gdrx.gif

A long time ago, in a thread far, far away.....

9 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

A long time ago, in a thread far, far away.....

Have they been limiting likes since last April? 

20 minutes ago, Architecht said:

3. Other?

Perhaps it would be more beneficial to the modern threads devoted to certain series and the creator appreciation threads if the constant value updates and variant links were housed elsewhere. Rather than the actual conversations about the creators or series themselves that the threads are devoted to. 

Just seams a bit backwards since the bulk of issues within the modern threads stem from value updates and individuals posting links to sales of variants they are invested in. 

On that note I’ll throw out the suggestion of eliminating any future posts of links to any current sales of any kind in threads not devoted to a sale of some type. It is certainly frowned upon to post your own sales thread link in threads, so I’m not sure why it’s allowed for individuals to post links for shop variant sales knowing how common it’s done to hype a book for profit. 

If we can have a section to promote eBay sales I see no reason why we can’t have a section for individuals to promote shop variant sales elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

3. Other?

Can we get a sub forum on teat milking

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Have they been limiting likes since last April? 

I think so, yes. I battled away with Arch on it for a time but just ended up making myself unpopular. I thought I had some good points really, but no one joined me in the fight so I gave up. There's some history here, if you're bored for 10 minutes:

I still think it's silly that 99.9% of us have to live with a cap, which was brought in to stop a handful of people running riot. If you turned off the Leaderboard, which as I understand it is the only visible manifestation of like volumes, then there would be no need for a cap. 

But I'm going over old ground here, we have Arch's position on it and that's that.

54 minutes ago, Architecht said:

3. Other?

No. 

Excessive micro-management and aggressive control of what, where, when, how, and why people post is why this thread exists in the first place.

Utopia is fantasy; it does not exist in the real world, and trying to force it is what drives and has driven people away.