• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,021 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Why were the women's heads replaced on several of these cards?  That's NOT Mary Philbin's face/head on the card in the lower right!! :sumo:

Get this bilge out of here!!

It may be as simple that she didn't give permission to use her image.

10 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It may be as simple that she didn't give permission to use her image.

It's possible but I would be very surprised if this were the case.  Besides, she's not the only woman to lose her head in this card series.  Anyone know definitively why these changes were made?

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

It's possible but I would be very surprised if this were the case.  Besides, she's not the only woman to lose her head in this card series.  Anyone know definitively why these changes were made?

2 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Actually all the female actresses heads were replaced with models, maybe they wanted this run to be a MODEL set.:bigsmile: 

Probably just to appeal to the taste of 1970's teenage boys experiencing a touch of  "prickly heat".

17 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Ah the good old days before all this PC anger. I kept a door opened for a girl coming in after me to a shop and the LOOK I got chilled me to the bone. 

How strange. I'm sure you're like myself, and hold a door for anyone, male or female. 

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

Sweetie cigarettes or as you said Candy sticks, yes these did have some great artwork and of course we all had our own favourites.(thumbsu  

images (5).jpg

images (2).jpg

images.jpg

images (3).jpg

images (1).jpg

images (4).jpg

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

They're nice! much harder to acquire a full set as they only had one card per packet, which was the same for the cards given away with ZOOM! lollies. (Mmmmmm)

Meanwhile, here's some of Supes' cards 

â FULL SET 50 RARE TRADING CARDS DC SUPERMAN 1967 PRIMROSE CONFECTIONARY VGC

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

They're nice! much harder to acquire a full set as they only had one card per packet, which was the same for the cards given away with ZOOM! lollies. (Mmmmmm)

Meanwhile, here's some of Supes' cards 

â FULL SET 50 RARE TRADING CARDS DC SUPERMAN 1967 PRIMROSE CONFECTIONARY VGC

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

much harder to acquire a full set as they only had one card per packet, which was the same for the cards given away with ZOOM! lollies. (Mmmmmm)

That was the fun part getting Diabetes first and the cards second, seriously I had many a fun time swapping and strange enough it improved my memory no end ..Um what was I talking about? I also collected the Cadet cards some of them were brilliant., those Superman cards are nice thanks for posting. 

those cards are cool @tv horror i used to collect sports and non sports cards and never saw the Dr Who cards before , that show was never very big here in the States ... i have tried watching it a few times but couldn't get into it

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

those cards are cool @tv horror i used to collect sports and non sports cards and never saw the Dr Who cards before , that show was never very big here in the States ... i have tried watching it a few times but couldn't get into it

We also had the Man from U.N.C.L.E cards and again they are a nice set.

369280946_images(4).jpg.01f72b127c6a3eb9e3871671d5084f0a.jpg1629141900_images(6).jpg.a5c31938f1b054dc5b3c7080b5ac09e3.jpg

images (3).jpg

download (4).jpg

download.jpg

images.jpg

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

images (1).jpg

images (5).jpg

images (2).jpg

download (3).jpg

4 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

LOL i have seen those but they are so much smaller than US issued cards ,... your gum was probably half the size also ?? i think you guys got cheated with the smaller cards

Actually this was a standard size for what we call cigarette cards here in the U.K because with certain brands they gave these cards as gifts. There was birds flags animals history space movie stars in sets amd were very popular and are still highly collectable. The u.n.c.le set came free with what you would call candy sticks, in fact if you look closely you'll see they were sold as sweetie cigarettes on the packets. I have a few horror related "real cigarettes" cards starting with Lon Chaney on a 1923 card.

download (5).jpg

download (2).jpg

603e1e98a97b91cc5a2aa435cb4e2e46.jpg

f77d563c21b21d17b06e382a45e91c61.jpg

download (1).jpg

download (3).jpg

download.jpg

images.jpg

download (4).jpg

Edited by tv horror

8 hours ago, tv horror said:

The Dr Who cards with the zoom lollies featured Patrick Troughton as the second Doctor and again the artwork was outstanding. This was followed by the Daleks lolly and finally the Tom Baker era.

images (3).jpg

download.jpg

images (5).jpg

images (4).jpg

download (1).jpg

images.jpg

download (2).jpg

images (1).jpg

This vid shows the full set, but the interesting bit is right at the beginning where it shows the cinema ad. The faux "Troughton Dr." seems to be influencede more by Lon Chaney's depiction of Mr. Hyde.

Edited by Gnasher