• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May auction
5 5

342 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Ltpink2002 said:

No other winners besides Mr Bedrock?

MrBedrock bid on, and won, nothing today.

100% success rate!

46 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it is the most easily found "rivet" cover Planet Comics.

Interesting. Is that based on GPA census numbers? I'd never really thought about it before, but it kinda makes sense, while running those rivet covers through my mind.

16 minutes ago, bc said:

So what's our hobby's annual revenue? This only includes the sales of back-issues (collecting); not including grading/pressing/restoration services, preservation supplies, sales of new content in a digital or analog format and, of course, the movies.

Figure comics are purchased for two basic reasons:

1. Placed in private collections (full sales amount would directly go to the bottom line). Example: I buy a book for for $3,500 and place it in my private collection for an extended period. That would equate to a $3,500 annual realized revenue.

2. Purchased as dealer/speculator/flipper stock to be resold later for a profit (cost would go to bottom line). Dealer bought a book for $3,000 and sold it later to me for $3,500. Realized revenue to the hobby until sold would be $3,000. 

Is this a $10 million annual revenue hobby? $25 million? $50 million? More? Just seems like some crazy money when you think about how many auctions, eBay/online sites, LCS, convention & private sales happen annually. 

-bc

I’d love to see the % of books that actually stay in collections for at least 5 years.

18 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Interesting. Is that based on GPA census numbers? I'd never really thought about it before, but it kinda makes sense, while running those rivet covers through my mind.

I have no census numbers to refer to ( if someone does it would be interesting to see ) but I can say this from my experience of searching for Planet Comics over several years: I can always find a copy of 16 for sale. Within minutes of searching I can find a copy.

Just now, within 2 minutes I found 3 for sale.

Edited by Artboy99

3 hours ago, jhm said:

Amazing auction. So many great additions for me today. Super thankful to the folks that let 'em go. My big-red-button hitting finger is exhausted!

BUT... I spent more than I wanted to. I think this means it's time to start parting with some of the GA books I don't mind taking out of the collection. I'll be hitting the up the sales board probably some time next week for the first time.

:cloud9: My favorite take today...

spirit22.jpeg.7756bdad545f7662fb23c5fb338f428c.jpeg

Yowza!! You landed one of the best books in the auction. (worship)

I remember Veryzl having what seemed to me to be optimistic prices on his convention stock of Church books.  Given some of the prices realized today, though, the prices apparently weren't as optimistic as I had thought they were.

2 hours ago, clarkkentdds said:

I thought prices were soft all around... Especially compared to the shocking prices Pedigree got for those Batman/ Detectives in last months auction. hm

if only the science 1 had been soft.

37 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
51 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I have no census numbers to refer to ( if someone does it would be interesting to see ) but I can say this from my experience of searching for Planet Comics over several years: I can always find a copy of 16 for sale. Within minutes of searching I can find a copy.

Just now, within 2 minutes I found 3 for sale.

Planet Comics 16 -- 29 copies on the census

Planet Comics 15 -- 15 copies on the census

Planet Comics 17 -- 18 copies on the census

So issue 16 would seem to be more readily available than at least the two surrounding issues. 

3 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:
2 hours ago, clarkkentdds said:

I thought prices were soft all around... Especially compared to the shocking prices Pedigree got for those Batman/ Detectives in last months auction. hm

If your head was slightly softer, you might have won it! 

4 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

I thought it woulda went higher.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised that it only went about $1K higher than it did in 2011.  My memory for these things is shaky, but I think that book is significantly hotter today than it was in 2011. 

1 hour ago, bc said:

So what's our hobby's annual revenue? This only includes the sales of back-issues (collecting); not including grading/pressing/restoration services, preservation supplies, sales of new content in a digital or analog format and, of course, the movies.

Figure comics are purchased for two basic reasons:

1. Placed in private collections (full sales amount would directly go to the bottom line). Example: I buy a book for for $3,500 and place it in my private collection for an extended period. That would equate to a $3,500 annual realized revenue.

2. Purchased as dealer/speculator/flipper stock to be resold later for a profit (cost would go to bottom line). Dealer bought a book for $3,000 and sold it later to me for $3,500. Realized revenue to the hobby until sold would be $3,000. 

Is this a $10 million annual revenue hobby? $25 million? $50 million? More? Just seems like some crazy money when you think about how many auctions, eBay/online sites, LCS, convention & private sales happen annually. 

-bc

When you factor in  Ha's weekly auctions which was  was around 25 million or more with weekly auctions at 500K a week an I believe that 2017 was a record year for them , , But this was flat out amazing over 8.36 million in day, that is buying power, it will be interesting to see the final total...maybe tommow's original art will be a bargain prices, we have seen GREAT success in the WHALE auction concept. It was over 6 million for just 90 lots and it spills over, look for CC or CL to copy the Ha's lead in creating "whale" auctions...which put those pieces in a "highlight 3D catalog

Edited by Mmehdy

30 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

I think it depends on the general genre of books a person collects as I think the prices were all extremely strong.

Examples:

Dark Mysteries 19 CGC 8.5 ( my opinion is it is a rather weak 8.5 with that top right crease ) sold for $9560 with premium.

Chamber of Chills #19 (Harvey, 1953) CGC VF+ 8.5 sold for $11352

Neither of those is "soft".

27 minutes ago, tth2 said:

That's insane.

In a "soft" auction, anything can happen. :insane: