• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May auction
5 5

342 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Tough to know, but I think they might well soar way past that total.  It would take some cogitating by Heritage and the family to decide how to bring them to market.  Listing them all in one Signature Auction would certainly be epic, but it might be tough for the hobby to digest those books in one gulp. 

You could run a sales thread in anticipation :whistle: 

4 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:
8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Tough to know, but I think they might well soar way past that total.  It would take some cogitating by Heritage and the family to decide how to bring them to market.  Listing them all in one Signature Auction would certainly be epic, but it might be tough for the hobby to digest those books in one gulp. 

You could run a sales thread in anticipation :whistle: 

I think it would have to include my house, wife, and kids.  You know, come to think of it .... hm

19 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Harvey Kurtzman is my shield against any such trolling :wishluck:

We'll take that into consideration.  He is a genius.

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
7 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

As the seller, I can say it was a screaming bargain! :)

It is a very tough book. I only let it go because it was my undercopy. 

when it rains, it pours.  There's a very decent looking 4.5 in tomorrow's HA Sunday night that no doubt will go for less. 

Harry Anderson's romance work is sublime, the guy could really tell a story.  And try getting a hold of the next issue, Love Journal #11, faggetaboudit.  But #10 is a great place to start!  Congrats, Sqeggs, on the nice price, but especially on having a better copy still at home!  :golfclap:

6 hours ago, adamstrange said:
7 hours ago, rob_react said:

At some point people trolled me because I no longer owned a Church book. I'm now troll proof :sumo:

Congratulations!

Now we can mock you mercilessly for owning a patsy Walker. :baiting:

lol

1 hour ago, rob_react said:

The Church Timelys + the Allentown Cap #1 (which is probably worth 10 times what he paid for it now) might be 12 million by themselves. 

I talked to John about the availability  of his Cap 1 a few years back at SDCC, he told me he turned down 1 million for it, and that was several years ago, I think he told he paid $285K for it or something like that...John's collection at one point is going to market, the issue is how,  on the very big books its tough to beat HA with there catalogs and the best website out there, look for a test roll out, of some books, if they auction successfully then more will follow, ten times would be 2.85 Million, don't think it will get to that level, I would guess 1/1.5M plus BP

Edited by Mmehdy

43 minutes ago, tth2 said:

That's way too conservative.

As I do, I started thinking about it and, yes, I was way too conservative. Which is pretty nuts. The Cap 1-10 and Marvel Mystery 1-10 are such a huge baseline. 

33 minutes ago, rob_react said:

As I do, I started thinking about it and, yes, I was way too conservative. Which is pretty nuts. The Cap 1-10 and Marvel Mystery 1-10 are such a huge baseline. 

I think he had 280+ Church superhero Timelys.  They add up.

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

I talked to John about the availability  of his Cap 1 a few years back at SDCC, he told me he turned down 1 million for it, and that was several years ago, I think he told he paid $285K for it or something like that...John's collection at one point is going to market, the issue is how,  on the very big books its tough to beat HA with there catalogs and the best website out there, look for a test roll out, of some books, if they auction successfully then more will follow, ten times would be 2.85 Million, don't think it will get to that level, I would guess 1/1.5M plus BP

I think the 9.8 Allentown cap 1 easily breaks 2 mil. Probably 2.5 mil. Maybe the 10x @2.85

i asked John once a few years ago what he had his collection insured for. He was a bit coy but didn’t deny it was more than 25 mil

thats a lot of coin 

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Ok this is strange.

I am being sent an invoice by Heritage for a book I did bid on but I watched it on the live session and I *know* I was outbid.

Is this normal?

You could try clicking on the listing for the book to see if it indicates you won. If it does, you probably need to call them to inquire. Haven’t heard of this happening. 

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You could try clicking on the listing for the book to see if it indicates you won. If it does, you probably need to call them to inquire. Haven’t heard of this happening. 

I’ve been contacted by HA one time cause I was under bidder and the explained the winner was a flake. I felt like I was shilled and because it was much higher than I was winnng it, I opted not to accept the second chance offer.

14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I have done that and it says I am the winner. 

15 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I have done that and it says I am the winner. 

Let me be the first to congratulate you! :headbang:

Seriously, though, I would be thrilled if one of my underbids turned up today as a winner.  Sadly, I just confirmed that is not that case. :sorry:

9 minutes ago, Timely said:

There are slightly over 400 Timely superhero issues from 1939-1955. John probably has 375 of them. He told me he was only missing a handful

Are they free of color touch and glue for the most part? Sadly, many of the Church copies have amateur resto. I'm not sure who's responsible, but it must be someone who owned a number of different runs.

8 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:
20 minutes ago, Timely said:

There are slightly over 400 Timely superhero issues from 1939-1955. John probably has 375 of them. He told me he was only missing a handful

Are they free of color touch and glue for the most part? Sadly, many of the Church copies have amateur resto. I'm not sure who's responsible, but it must be someone who owned a number of different runs.

I don't think that was true of many (any?) of the Church copies that Heritage just finished auctioning.  Not necessarily relevant, of course, to what may have happened to some of the Timely superhero books.