• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2022 at 4:39 PM, drotto said:

Marvel is hitting a wall.  Hardcore fans see it the first weekend and repeat viewings are down.  Casual fans are either being more selective, or are not seeing the movies at all.  This movie is going from a guaranteed smash hit to making a small profit (in relative terms) based on it's $250 million production budget. This is going to finish under the first film by $500 million at least.  Not saying these are still not big numbers, they clearly are.  They are however disappointing numbers based on the MCU's previous performance,  Black Panther's previous performance, and the massive budgets these movies are getting. Plus, this movies does not have the international numbers to prop it up.  The international numbers in general are going to be way down with the World Cup starting this weekend.

My gut says the numbers may be worse then this once the weekend is done. Marvel is not in trouble yet per say, but it is clearly not the juggernaut it was.

We'll see what the full weekend brings. Even with the Box Office Guru, who is a huge MCU fanatic, he noted the big drop.

But we saw with these 2022 films no matter the quality. moviegoers rushed to see them. So we could see Saturday and Sunday go big.

My thoughts on Wakanda Forever. It was good but very long , with not enough points of excitement that would make me go back to it often. Honestly, I could have done without all the white people, it could have simply been about 2 dueling nations without getting the rest of the world involved, which in turn needed more cutting back to and a longer run time. LOVED Namor. He's purposefully larger than life in the comics to a point of parody almost, which makes him a harder character to adapt. And I think they pulled a monumental feat with this adaptation.  He was charismatic but still very much an antagonist, which feels very classic silver age but in the MCU. It was a perfect adaptation of the character within the MCU and showed what he could specifically bring to it that no one else could.  Also, and this is purely subjective, I was si damn glad that they showed off Angela Basset and Lupita Nyong'o's curves in this films and did not shy away from their incredible beauty, something I felt the first film did. I know there's been some talk that this film may have too much "estrogen" but, true to form, Namor provides all the testosterone a film would ever need. I felt the balance there worked well. Oh another issue I has was with the CGI for Ironheart's final amor. It was way too smooth, giving it almost a 2D feel, which may have been intentional to go with the anime vibes of the suit. But it didn't look like she was in the suit in the shots where she removes the faceplate.

Im the end the film is long but there's goid stuff. Loved the women and loved the man, Imperious Rex!

I was also wondering how this plays out long term as far as audience size goes.  A few people have run the numbers and based on inflation and the lower box office, BP2 will end its run with about 60% of the actual views that the original had.  So the monetary numbers are still solid, but the overall audience is down.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:31 AM, drotto said:

I was also wondering how this plays out long term as far as audience size goes.  A few people have run the numbers and based on inflation and the lower box office, BP2 will end its run with about 60% of the actual views that the original had.  So the monetary numbers are still solid, but the overall audience is down.

Can’t speak for other fans but I’m getting burned out on MCU. There’s still a few odds and ends like Werewolf by Night I enjoy but being a really big Sub-Mariner fan the character in BP 2 only resembles him in name. Could easily have been a new character. The changes they seem to be doing lately are a bit to extreme now from the original source material for me. That and the stories are boring lately.