• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2022 at 4:10 PM, Jaydogrules said:

...with heaters.   

Heaters.  🤮

-J.

I donno, how else are you supposed to quick dry something? Fifty bags of rice? Call Dr. Strange? I suppose asking Namor to towel off was out of the question...

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 11/25/2022 at 12:24 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I simply don't think changing the location and origin of Namor's kingdom is that big of a deal.

That's fine, and I don't think you need to change your mind if that's how you see it, but apparently Marvel thought it was a big enough deal that they had to change it.

I think that's a shame because the idea of Atlantis and its citizens and the history offered far more creative writing than, "Vibranium did it to them," and it would have pleased all or at least most fans. I doubt any real fan felt the need for a change, and I suspect anyone who did didn't even know who Namor was prior to the $uperhero film boom.

On 11/25/2022 at 12:24 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

The specific history details of Namor's home have never really been that big of a deal in the comics. They're underwater warriors and they're blue, that's what's important.

These are opinions.

The Atlantis mythology has been fascinating to a great many for centuries and keeping to that origin may even have tempted some of those people into a theater. But they're likely outnumbered by the very vocal people who need these changes to be made in order to enjoy a Marvel film as most of us have been able to do prior to phase 4.

Edited by MR SigS

On 11/25/2022 at 3:28 PM, MR SigS said:

That's fine, and I don't think you need to change your mind if that's how you see it, but apparently Marvel thought it was a big enough deal that they had to change it.

I think that's a shame because the idea of Atlantis and its citizens and the history offered far more creative writing than, "Vibranium did it to them," and it would have pleased all or at least most fans. I doubt any real fan felt the need for a change, and I suspect anyone who did didn't even know who Namor was prior to the $uperhero film boom.

These are opinions.

The Atlantis mythology has been fascinating to a great many for centuries and keeping to that origin may even have tempted some of those people into a theater. But they're likely outnumbered by the very vocal people who need these changes to be made in order to enjoy a Marvel film as most of us have been able to do prior to phase 4.

You mean like the “vocal people” who made up less than 10% of Twitters base but made 92% of the tweets? Those vocal people?

From this past summer:

“Now, however, it seems that Marvel Studios, Disney’s most profitable movie house, might be hitting “a bit of a slump.” According to a new Wall Street Journal report, Feige’s super hero films — while still incredibly popular — have lost hundreds of millions of dollars recently when compared to their earlier predecessors.“

And unless someone’s been living under a rock.

From Fortune:

“LEADERSHIP ·DISNEY

Poor earnings, power struggles and politics: the forces that pushed Disney to replace CEO Bob Chapek after just 2 years

BYNICHOLAS GORDON

November 21, 2022, 2:52 AM PST”

I’ve been a Disney shareholder since the 1990’s and aside from my own disappointments with their product and Marvel Studios since they started their latest phase as such all I care about is them making money not what the product is. But as a fan I’m thinking I’m not alone in my disappointments recently either. If these “vocal people” were the majority why the slide across the board in profits?

• Administrator

I do not want to see any more racial slurs posted, or anything that clearly offends a race/ethnic group.  I have gone back far enough in this thread to see a pattern of that from one poster, who I have banned from this topic.  If it continues, others will be banned from the topic, have 3 points added to their account or both.  

On 11/26/2022 at 8:45 AM, paperheart said:

image.png.ae2bc76cdcd78209f2549114ffde1e2c.png

If it matches Thor:Rag's 1.5x Thanksgiving weekend tail, will reach $470M US

So with international.... about an $850M finish.  

Half a billion less on a $50M larger budget compared to the first one.

Not great, and yet still more than it deserves.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 11/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Sequels have a built in factor too with their grosses of people who liked the last one and jump into the next one based on that. I’m guessing if there’s a 3 down the road it’ll have to sell itself harder next time. This one got a boost as well for the passing of its lead much like the Fast and Furious follow up did after Paul Walkers passing. All it did for me was miss Chadwick Boseman who did such an excellent job in the role. I think it would have been better to wait and recast the role down the road. 

On 11/26/2022 at 11:07 AM, N e r V said:

Sequels have a built in factor too with their grosses of people who liked the last one and jump into the next one based on that. I’m guessing if there’s a 3 down the road it’ll have to sell itself harder next time. This one got a boost as well for the passing of its lead much like the Fast and Furious follow up did after Paul Walkers passing. All it did for me was miss Chadwick Boseman who did such an excellent job in the role. I think it would have been better to wait and recast the role down the road. 

Agreed 100%.

But if the franchise does survive, they have set up a somewhat workable backdoor recast that preserves the name of the character at least (though it would have been easier to simply recast via the multiverse device).  

At the end I think the #notchallanoticket movement did hurt it noticeably.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 11/26/2022 at 1:49 PM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Plus, many were convinced this was a billion dollar film, and it made $700 million domestic the first time around. So, $470's is a significant decrease. Significantly down on expectations. Other than Gardians 3, and Spider-Man not seeing any billion dollar films in the pipeline.  The MCU is still profitable, but seems to be slowing.