• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metropolis is Suing Voldemort
5 5

761 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, zosocane said:

The reason for the $15,000 threshold is to show that the amount in controversy for the claim exceeds the max limit for a case to be handled by a Florida small claims court.  The suit alleged damages in excess of $15,000, so that means that a regular Florida trial court (i.e., a circuit court) can hear the case.  Metro's lawyer didn't file the lawsuit in federal court under diversity of citizenship, which has a minimum amount in controversy threshold of $75,000 if the parties are from different states, which tells me the amount Metro is seeking is somewhere in between $15K and $75K.  But, who knows.

It's possible, but it's also likely that Metro's attorney preferred being in state court rather than federal.   So it's not necessarily true that it's less than 75,000.  

37 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

It's possible, but it's also likely that Metro's attorney preferred being in state court rather than federal.   So it's not necessarily true that it's less than 75,000.  

We will see if you are right about that. You will be hearing from MY Lawyer, J. Noble Daggett.:jaws:

16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Its bad publicity for a company looking to gain market share anyway you look at it.

FWIW I don't put much stock or credibility in the claims, and while a few members here have provided some interesting analysis, on the face of it, the motivation looks FAR worse on the company filing the suit.

4 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

FWIW I don't put much stock or credibility in the claims, and while a few members here have provided some interesting analysis, on the face of it, the motivation looks FAR worse on the company filing the suit.

Unless you've got inside knowledge about the business relationship in question, it seems a bit irresponsible to comment on its credibility in public.  After all, if Metropolis believes that another company is contractually obligated to provide it with services and that company has stopped providing them, it has every right to have the courts determine whether the contract has been violated and they've suffered recoverable monetary damages.

Just now, namisgr said:

Unless you've got inside knowledge about the business relationship in question, it seems a bit irresponsible to comment on its credibility in public.  After all, if Metropolis believes that another company is contractually obligated to provide it with services and that company has stopped providing them, it has every right to have the courts determine whether the contract has been violated and they've suffered recoverable monetary damages.

That's certainly one way of looking at it. And while I'm with you on not speculating without knowing what exactly the situation is, it's the way they are going about it, particulary in the context of the other members comment of "bad publiclity" that I'm remarking on.

16 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Also, why are people jumping to conclusions based on eBay offerings? The grading companies don't care how much of their product is on eBay, they care how many comics are being sent to their offices. That's the real market share.

The only way we can put numbers to all three companies is by checking the largest market for them.  If there were a slab census for the other two companies, we could compare to CGC Census.  PGX had a census at one time, but the fact that they were giving out PGX 9.9 as if it was candy on Halloween is probably why they pulled it down.

29 minutes ago, valiantman said:

PGX had a census at one time, but the fact that they were giving out PGX 9.9 as if it was candy on Halloween is probably why they pulled it down.

Little known "fact", write the salutation "Trick or Treat!" on your PGX invoice and you will get 9.9s.

1 minute ago, GACollectibles said:
32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

PGX had a census at one time, but the fact that they were giving out PGX 9.9 as if it was candy on Halloween is probably why they pulled it down.

Little known "fact", write the salutation "Trick or Treat!" on your PGX invoice and you will get 9.9s.

Your joke gets a 1.8 but the way you wear a shortsleeve flannel gets 9.9s all day.

11 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
14 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:
45 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Your joke gets a 1.8 but the way you wear a shortsleeve flannel gets 9.9s all day.

It's "flanelle" with a French accent.

No mention of my daisy dukes?

34 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

I thought you just had to knock on the door and say "Howdy, my Oregon neighbor!" and then you get to run the PGX slabbing machine while Dan helps his mom make lemonade upstairs. :kidaround:

On 5/9/2018 at 10:35 AM, 1Cool said:

Interesting experiment - Type in CGC into E-Bay search and get 125,672 available and then click on sold button and get 80,584 or 64.1% sold vs available.  The other guy gives you 14,725 available and 6,207 sold or a 42.1% sold to available ratio.  The sheer numbers can be much higher based on the length of time one company has been around compared to the other but the sold/available ratio should be fairly equal if both companies are equally desirable in the market.  They are not even close.

When I check eBay, I make sure of a few things.  When I search CGC, I also type in -cbcs, - pgx, and -it.  That typically gets rid of the CBCS, PGX books, and raw books.  That's 89468 CGC books at the moment.  Click the sold box and the number is now 51751.  57.8% sold

With a similar CBCS search, there are 8334 available and 2492 sold. 29.9% sold.

A similar PGX search shows us 2016 available and 667 books sold. 33.1% sold.

It certainly gives us a look at market cap, but I don't think there's really much question about that anyway.

Market Cap:

CGC 89.6%

CBCS 8.3%

PGX 2%

20 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

When I check eBay, I make sure of a few things.  When I search CGC, I also type in -cbcs, - pgx, and -it.  That typically gets rid of the CBCS, PGX books, and raw books.  That's 89468 CGC books at the moment.  Click the sold box and the number is now 51751.  57.8% sold

With a similar CBCS search, there are 8334 available and 2492 sold. 29.9% sold.

A similar PGX search shows us 2016 available and 667 books sold. 33.1% sold.

It certainly gives us a look at market cap, but I don't think there's really much question about that anyway.

Market Cap:

CGC 89.6%

CBCS 8.3%

PGX 2%

Just a reminder that the total number of books slabbed by each company is cumulative, and a company that's been in business only a small fraction of the time as CGC would have slabbed far fewer books overall on that basis independent of their relative slabbing rates per unit time.  If one divides those percentages for the top two companies by the number of years in business, one gets data for the relative proportion of yearly slabs of the two companies being offered on E-Bay.

Edited by namisgr

5 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Just a reminder that those numbers are cumulative, and a company that's been in business only a small fraction of the time as CGC would have slabbed far fewer books overall on that basis independent of their relative slabbing rates per unit time.  If one divides those numbers for the top two companies by the number of years in business, one gets data for the relative proportion of yearly slabs of the two companies being offered on E-Bay.

I don't think the percentage sold of a company has anything to do with the total number of books available or the length of time the company is in business.  The quality of books graded by one company may sway the percent sold numbers since one company may have all the easy to sell key books.  But with CBCS being around for 4 years you would think they would have done their share of key books and hot, easy to sell books.  The total numbers of books sold can possibly be compared to the length of time both are open but the fact that one company has approximately twice the percent sold compared to the other clearly shows one is easier to sell and in more demand.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I don't think the percentage sold of a company has anything to do with the total number of books available or the length of time the company is in business.  

Agreed on the percentage sold.  I was commenting on comparing the total number of books listed on E-Bay for sale slabbed by each company.

Edited by namisgr

I'm also shocked by the number of PGX books up for sale right now.  2,016 slabs available of a company which has been around for 15 years?  I know not all books graded get put up on E-Bay but wow - that is a low number of slabs up for sale.

Edited by 1Cool

43 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'm also shocked by the number of PGX books up for sale right now.  2,016 slabs available of a company which has been around for 15 years?  I know not all books graded get put up on E-Bay but wow - that is a low number of slabs up for sale.

Proof of PGXs superiority. Their loyal fans are so happy they keep their slabs. Look how many CGC books get sold immediately after being stabbed. Even their much ballyhooed new slab doesn't entice most CGC clients to keep their books.

Imagine if 90% of new Teslas were immediately put up for resale. That wouldn't speak well of the company or its products.

Based on ten seconds work ,using numbers offered by somebody somewhere, the inescapable logic is PGX  has the most satisfied base, while CBG customers seem to be always churning the products, obviously not wanting to be stuck with much product.

17 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Proof of PGXs superiority. Their loyal fans are so happy they keep their slabs. Look how many CGC books get sold immediately after being stabbed. Even their much ballyhooed new slab doesn't entice most CGC clients to keep their books.

Imagine if 90% of new Teslas were immediately put up for resale. That wouldn't speak well of the company or its products.

Based on ten seconds work ,using numbers offered by somebody somewhere, the inescapable logic is PGX  has the most satisfied base, while CBG customers seem to be always churning the products, obviously not wanting to be stuck with much product.

That is definitely one way to look at the info.  One of the key reasons for getting books slabbed is for resale value.  Some like the shiny case and the peace of mind but a vast majority seem to spend the money for the case with a big number in the upper corner is to resell said book.