• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metropolis is Suing Voldemort
5 5

761 posts in this topic

Jaydog states -Something like 90% of start ups fail in the first three years of operation

The US Small Business Administration states this-  About two-thirds of businesses with employees survive at least 2 years and about half survive at least 5 years. As one would expect, after the first few relatively volatile years, survival rates flatten out. (Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Business Employment Dynamics.)

Which one to believe? I'll leave that up to the readers.

Sadly, his erroneous statement about business failure  may be the most accurate thing in his whole post.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Jaydog states -Something like 90% of start ups fail in the first three years of operation

The US Small Business Administration states this-  About two-thirds of businesses with employees survive at least 2 years and about half survive at least 5 years. As one would expect, after the first few relatively volatile years, survival rates flatten out. (Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Business Employment Dynamics.)

Which one to believe? I'll leave that up to the readers.

Sadly, his erroneous statement about business failure  may be the most accurate thing in his whole post.

Dude whatever the overall failure rate of all businesses is, is irrelevant.  You seem to think dabbling in minutiae somehow changes the reality of what happened.  Perhaps you should take your cheerleading and desperate attempts at rationalization over to the Voldy boards.  

Oh wait, nobody posts over there.  

Fact is, Voldy failed. 

Deal with it or don't. I don't care because, thankfully, I never bought any of their horrible, cut rate, tamper-susceptible slabs.  

-J.

PS:  Oh yeah, and this from Forbes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/ericwagner/2013/09/12/five-reasons-8-out-of-10-businesses-fail/amp/

(I wonder if anybody at Voldy even bothered to read any articles like this beforehand)

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Unfortunately, if you are trying to run a company that "looks" as big as CGC, but only operating on ~5% of the revenues

-J.

Your continued insistance on making things up as you go along renders any discussion useless.  At least you finally left out the terms 'insolvent' and 'bankrupt'.

On 5/8/2018 at 4:35 AM, BeachBum said:

I just went over to Harry Potter Land's forum to see if there was more info and looks like they already locked a thread on it "recommending that no new threads on this topic appear"

I am immensely disappointed in the draconian way that board is moderated, and to say I am exceptionally disappointed in moderators who are also members here would be an understatement (not that they care. They clearly do not.)

It's like they've never heard of the Streisand Effect.

It was an area that was an easy, simple improvement over what exists...a slam dunk. Instead, it's far worse. Silencing criticism and banning critics is the worst possible way imaginable that a company could do business. The way to deal with criticism is head-on, by addressing the criticism directly, determining if it's valid, and NON-defensively responding to it.

If someone criticizes the way you do things, that's a perfect opportunity to make your case and explain why either the criticism is valid, and we're working on it...or the criticism is NOT valid, and here's why. Tossing out the criticism, and threatening (and banning) the critics makes you look like you have something to hide. And yet, that's precisely what they have done, and continue to do.

Immensely, incredibly disappointing.

On 5/9/2018 at 7:54 AM, The Resurrection said:

Simple answer, the registry. People are competitive in nature, therefore allowing them to compete with each others collections drives them to grade more books. I could probably sit and start getting into other issues like when were the books graded (one company has a decade jump start). You could argue that the majority of flippers use CGC due to familiarity within the market. Also, out of the "sold" listing how many will say CGC but are a PGX or brand X? Because we both KNOW people love to use the "like CGC" or "not CGC".

The registry, the census, workable forums...I hope against hope that someone, anyone, has been keeping records since Day 1.

They did a fantastic thing in recognizing the difference between Direct market and newsstands (though calling them "variants" is a mistake)...but one great decision isn't enough.

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Close. 

Marvel WAS nearly bankrupt when it sold off its marquee characters' rights in the past.

It was an "asset sale" to remedy their "insolvency".

This sir, is what a moving goal post looks like.

He's talking about the recent sale to Disney.

You are talking about Marvel's financial troubles decades ago when they sold off all the character movie right to raise money.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Unfortunately for Voldy, with a barely there market share and hardly any track record, there could be no coming back.  

That pearl clutching 'could' is about as good as any black and white drama I've ever seen.

You really should have underlined it to make it stand out.

Enter, Beckett to pick up the crumbs to see what they could salvage. 

Libel.

Their best bet moving forward would be to completely scrap the "Voldy" name, create some distance between them and the numerous management and administrative mis-steps that caused the company to fail, and re-brand and learn from the mistakes from the past.

SMH

10 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I did not ignore jaybuck's pieces of information.  I did however disgree with what I believe to be his unjustified rosy interpretation of events.  

Something like 90% of start ups fail in the first three years of operation.  There has been absolutely nothing to show that Voldy was succeeding.  Their market share is negligible, barely higher than PGX, which operates with a fraction of the overhead.  

Voldy's problem was that it wanted to enter the marketplace projecting the facade that it was as large and therefore credible as CGC.  It came into it with too many "investors", and too much overhead in order create that illusion.   Rather than EARNING that credibility, they tried to buy it.  They cut sweetheart deals with as many large scale dealers as possible in order to get as many books into their slabs upfront to get their name "out there".  I suspect that this lawsuit filed by Metro has something to do with that.  I also suspect part of the reason Voldy went belly up was to get out of those pre existing contracts.  

Unfortunately, if you are trying to run a company that "looks" as big as CGC, but only operating on ~5% of the revenues, yes you will fail, and you will fail quickly.  Seriously, this isn't rocket science and I know I'm not saying anything that most people don't already know.  They just don't want anybody to talk about it because they feel it will (further) devalue their Voldy slabs. Which it may or may not.  

Of course if they were really worried about that they could just send their books to CGC, or better yet, crack them out and enjoy them in a Mylar and full back.  

-J.

You always fake attempts at discrediting with big words, red herrings and irrelevant Google links.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about but constantly set up smoke and mirrors so that nobody can prove you wrong.

It's so transparent that everyone can see it except for you.

The reason you won't tell anyone who you actually are (or what you do for a living - still waiting) is because you know that it can open you up to libel suits.

Weak sauce.

9 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

You seem to think dabbling in minutiae somehow changes the reality of what happened.

You seem to think that repeating things makes them fact when you have presented none.

I truly believe you are delusional and should seek help. :foryou:

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You seem to think that repeating things makes them fact when you have presented none.

I truly believe you are delusional and should seek help. :foryou:

Umm - you might want to seek help for your website Roy -

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 11.15.42 AM.png

17 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Aw man if Voldy goes kaput this board will be flooded with all their loyal members. All 3 of them.

Does that mean Copper Age Kids will come back?

Personal attacks and commentary is never appropriate in any debate about anything. 

It is "ad hominem", and it is thoroughly and entirely inappropriate, from everyone, all the time. 

As accurate as the assessment may be and often is, as satisfying as it may be to say it in public, it has no place in a civil society. No one here is in a position to be making judgment calls about other individuals, and doing so makes this place far less pleasant and welcoming. 

That goes for everyone, myself included. Make your case, make it as well as you can, and leave the personal commentary elsewhere. If you want to tear someone else apart, there are plenty of other places to do that.

2 hours ago, BeachBum said:

Umm - you might want to seek help for your website Roy -

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 11.15.42 AM.png

I had a malware attack.

The site's been cleaned and cleared by Google.

You might need to clean your cache or cookies to see it now as that might be an old cookie showing you that warning.

Thanks for the PM. :wink:

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Personal attacks and commentary is never appropriate in any debate about anything. 

It is "ad hominem", and it is thoroughly and entirely inappropriate, from everyone, all the time. 

As accurate as the assessment may be and often is, as satisfying as it may be to say it in public, it has no place in a civil society. No one here is in a position to be making judgment calls about other individuals, and doing so makes this place far less pleasant and welcoming. 

That goes for everyone, myself included. Make your case, make it as well as you can, and leave the personal commentary elsewhere. If you want to tear someone else apart, there are plenty of other places to do that.

If someone is tripping over their own feet and they don't realize it and you point it out it's not a personal attack.