• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Silver Surfer Collecting Thread
11 11

326 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2021 at 3:34 AM, namisgr said:
On 11/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sure, but why would it be?

It's the greatest Bronze Age comic book published in the history of humankind.  :headbang:     ( :wink: )

On 11/12/2021 at 3:28 AM, bronze johnny said:

Avengers 93 is a “collector’s book.” 

Yes, from a strict collectoer's point of view, it's definitely pretty hard to beat 52 pages of squarebound cover though to cover of Adams goodness featuring the classic Kree-Skull War storyline.  :luhv:  :takeit:  :takeit: 

On 11/11/2021 at 9:32 PM, lou_fine said:

Avengers 93 was the top BA book in terms of valuation by a long shot and that entire Adams/Smith run from #93 through #100 (excluding #97) was right there at the top of ever true collector's want list.

Was just scrolling through the HA Sunday Auction offerings set to end later today and noticed that they have an entire HG set of theAdams/Smith  Avengers 93 through 100 up for auction.  :whatthe:  :luhv:

Go figure that the Avengers 97 without either the Adams or Smith artwork would be the issue going for the most money by far at this current point in time at a bid of $410, with the others in CGC 9.6 barely fetching premiums to top of 9.2 guide, if even any premium at all.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/14/2021 at 11:51 AM, alexgross.com said:

i hope anyone bidding on this HA book knows what they're getting- a pinched corner on what is clearly no longer a 9.2 copy of one of my favorite books ever. 

Well, looks much more like a tiny pimple as compared to some of the mouse chewed bitten-off cover to cover corners that CGC is pretty much giving a free pass to for the Promise Collection books submitted to them by Heritage for grading.  :devil: 

On 1/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, alexgross.com said:

whenever i see a nice presenting copy of surfer 1 or 3 with white pages, i usually try to go for it. 

here are my four copies of ss3 with white pages. the 7.0 is my most recent pickup. there was another 9.4 that sold on heritage last month but it was too rich for my blood this time around. 

ss3-montage.jpg

I was told by a knowledgeable auction dealer in the UK, many years ago, #3 was made with mixed paper stock, which is why it's so rare to see the white page designation on this book.

On 1/7/2022 at 4:31 AM, Microchip said:

I was told by a knowledgeable auction dealer in the UK, many years ago, #3 was made with mixed paper stock, which is why it's so rare to see the white page designation on this book.

i've seen a few other copies of #3 with white pages, but for sure it's been the least common surfer book in my experience with white pages. number 1 is also pretty tough to find with them. but number 4 is quite common with the white pages as are most other issues. 

i wonder if the paper stock it was mixed with was DC 1960s paper stock. their sixties books almost never have white pages. 

On 1/8/2022 at 2:43 PM, alexgross.com said:

i've seen a few other copies of #3 with white pages, but for sure it's been the least common surfer book in my experience with white pages. number 1 is also pretty tough to find with them. but number 4 is quite common with the white pages as are most other issues. 

i wonder if the paper stock it was mixed with was DC 1960s paper stock. their sixties books almost never have white pages. 

It would have to have been a semi regular thing.  But as a printer, you'd be trying to get a book printed a single batch of paper stock.   I'll ask my artist gf.  

I was showing her my platinum Sandman #50's a while back, and she explained pre-digital printing era, the silver star's on the cover, and the other bits were really tricky to get right in the printing process.  There was a strong margin for error with what they were trying to achieve on the cover.   This being a 90's book, the 60's, and 70's certainly would have had their own issues we would not be intimately aware of.