• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Silver Surfer Collecting Thread
12 12

327 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Microchip said:

One of the hottest books going at the moment, but this latest copy up for sale is going to ask the buyer to look squarely at the grade, and fall in love that above all else.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 11.22.41 am.png

Personally I think a 9.8 with this kind of miscut is a very sub-optimal investment.  Where is this copy being listed?

14 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Personally I think a 9.8 with this kind of miscut is a very sub-optimal investment.  Where is this copy being listed?

The Clink.   I just sold the same book there, so I'm going to follow the result.     

In terms of fugly miscuts I've seen, this is all the way up there.   And a part of me thinks it's worse on a square bound book.

Who here focusses on all of the Silver age appearances of the Silver surfer, over just the series?    I'm curious to know how the other Fantastic Four issues rate after, other than 48/49/50, before we get to the series.     There's a lot of issues, in FF, Tales to Astonish, and the FF annual.

Also back in the day, I saw a lot of old catalogues had Tales to Astonish 92 as the 3rd/4th most expensive book for Silver Surfer, after FF 48/49/50.   Does anyone know what the story was?

On 7/21/2021 at 9:37 AM, Microchip said:

Who here focusses on all of the Silver age appearances of the Silver surfer, over just the series?    I'm curious to know how the other Fantastic Four issues rate after, other than 48/49/50, before we get to the series.     There's a lot of issues, in FF, Tales to Astonish, and the FF annual.

Also back in the day, I saw a lot of old catalogues had Tales to Astonish 92 as the 3rd/4th most expensive book for Silver Surfer, after FF 48/49/50.   Does anyone know what the story was?

It was his first appearance outside FF and a memorable scrap with Hulk. 

I remember before his third volume in 87 started all his appearances commanded a premium but I guess not so much now, maybe a little, I dunno. 

On 7/21/2021 at 4:37 AM, Microchip said:

Tales to Astonish 92 is the Surfer's first x-over but only in cameo and has Submariner on the cover. The next issue,  Tales to Astonish 93 is the Surfer's first full x-over and fully features the Surfer dragging the Hulk through flames on his surfboard  - it's an awesome cover by Marie Severin.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:19 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Tales to Astonish 92 is the Surfer's first x-over but only in cameo and has Submariner on the cover. The next issue,  Tales to Astonish 93 is the Surfer's first full x-over and fully features the Surfer dragging the Hulk through flames on his surfboard  - it's an awesome cover by Marie Severin.

So I've got to assume the whole cameo vs full appearance thing wasn't such a distinction back in the day.   The cameo's counted for a lot more (shrug)

I need to find one of the price list's I've seen and point this out.   92 wasn't just ore than 93, but whole bunch of big books.   The SS first series wasn't a big deal for a long time price wise, but that's not saying much for the era. 

Spoiler

On 8/1/2021 at 3:03 AM, Microchip said:

So I've got to assume the whole cameo vs full appearance thing wasn't such a distinction back in the day.   The cameo's counted for a lot more (shrug)

I need to find one of the price list's I've seen and point this out.   92 wasn't just ore than 93, but whole bunch of big books.   The SS first series wasn't a big deal for a long time price wise, but that's not saying much for the era. 

Hide contents

The Surfer series has been undervalued for a very long time. I'm surprised that TTA 92 was valued more than 93 though.

On 8/1/2021 at 7:08 AM, Cushing Fan said:

The Surfer series has been undervalued for a very long time. I'm surprised that TTA 92 was valued more than 93 though.

I'm not sure that it was.  I checked my copy of Overstreet published 30 years ago, and it breaks out both TTA 92 and 93 from the surrounding issues.  They were valued at $35 in NM, compared to $28 for neighboring issues.  It does appear true that, at that time, the hobby hadn't decided that 92 was the less valuable cameo than the full appearance in 93, but I don't know that it was ever valued more.

Edited by namisgr

On 8/1/2021 at 10:06 PM, namisgr said:

I'm not sure that it was.  I checked my copy of Overstreet published 30 years ago, and it breaks out both TTA 92 and 93 from the surrounding issues.  They were valued at $35 in NM, compared to $28 for neighboring issues.  It does appear true that, at that time, the hobby hadn't decided that 92 was the less valuable cameo than the full appearance in 93, but I don't know that it was ever valued more.

There was a price list image in the GA section (iirc) floating around recently that showed #92 well above a lot of significant books.  But it was from a particular dealer at the time, so it presented his "pricing", as opposed to say Bob Overstreet, or Jerry Balis etc.  

It would be curious to see pricing for big books back in the day, price matched against their same era purchasing power, e.g. a new car.   Old price lists look seductively reasonably priced compared to today, but a several hundred dollars was big money back in the day.

On 5/27/2021 at 1:03 PM, mcduckz said:

After this week's CLink sales, could not resist pulling these out of the vault to oogle at them for a few minutes.  

Well, if you feel this way about the CGC 9.6 Surfer 4 sale on CL for $17,250; then I imagine you must be absolutely ecstatice with the $90K result for a CGC 9.8 copy of Heritage only a few short weeks after this CL sale:  :whee:  :banana:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-silver-surfer-4-marvel-1969-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7244-91017.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F5%2F24075928%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by lou_fine

Then again, I guess it's really a case of to each their own...........especially when you see a CGC 9.2 graded copy of Silver Surfer 9 sell for only a piddly $384 (well maybe not so piddly since one sold for only $264 back in February) this past Monday on Heritage:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-silver-surfer-9-marvel-1969-cgc-nm-92-white-pages/a/122132-13712.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|7#

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, The Silver Surfer #9 (Marvel, 1969) CGC NM- 9.2 White pages....

Especially when you compared it to a CGC 9.8 graded copy that sold for a rather stratosperic $42K earlier this year.  All I can say is that there's definitely a big huge mathematical difference between $384 and $42K, while there's clearly not the same relative difference between a CGC 9.2 and a CGC 9.8 graded book that's been determined based solely upon a subjective opinion, albeit a so-called professional one at that.  (shrug)

Either way, more power to the bidders if they are willing to bid that much higher for a CGC label.  :golfclap: