• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,752 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2021 at 5:24 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Nice post Reggie. I think it's the opposite side (to Notre-Dame) that Ross depicted - the stepped side with the path going under the bridge as in this photo:

photo-1519787802087-largejpg.jpg.d209a86487f5b8527d3eff77632f36bc.jpg

In that, I see the buildings that Ross depicts, and how the elevated perspective in his drawing might bring them into play.  

Yes, the side Ross depicts is opposite the Cathedral, as you state.  My photo is the same side you post as well.    The buildings though are not a good match to what Ross used, so I think he imported a few.  

On 11/30/2021 at 4:19 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, the side Ross depicts is opposite the Cathedral, as you state.  My photo is the same side you post as well.    The buildings though are not a good match to what Ross used, so I think he imported a few.  

I forgive him.

On 11/30/2021 at 4:21 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Looks like a younger you, looking for the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man.  :baiting:

I've never owned a brown suit in my life!

Dances a bit like I used to, though. 

On 11/28/2021 at 11:17 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Here's another comparison of Ross Andru's work on Amazing Spider-Man to his real life inspirations. From issue ASM 143, the action is set in Paris, as JJJ has been kidnapped by the Notorious Cyclone (me, chuckling out loud as I type that). Joe Robertson is led on a wild goose chase by the kidnappers, ending down by the Seine River, with Spidey in hot pursuit.

This is a really good match, but not 100%, which is probably why I didn't post this before. I think Ross added the buildings closer to the river than perhaps any really were. I also think he added buildings that weren't located in this specific location, but none that I can match to a real one.

In this panel, the steps are spot on, with the large stone at the top matching, as well as the light location. The bridge trusses match pretty well, but the actual bridge, Pont au Double, was more ornate than the one Ross drew. This bridge leads directly to the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, which is where future scenes from this two-part story are set.

I've read two different versions about the art from these two issues:

Ross took a vacation with his wife to France and wanted to use his pictures for the setting of a story.

Ross simple used art books for the buildings and bridges to place Spider-man in France.

I like the first version better.

image.thumb.png.89f1a56029b3008e33e9a71767be0eec.png

So cool each time you find a then an now photo😷🎶🎶

On 12/1/2021 at 9:50 AM, FoggyNelson said:

So cool each time you find a then an now photo😷🎶🎶

Thanks Foggy.  I think there are just a handful left to find and I'm not sure I have the energy for another Mindworm home type search.

If anyone is up for a good challenge, the two I think that are still out there are:

1)  Gerry Conway's 1970s apartment building on the Upper West Manhattan area.  He discusses Ross putting some scenes from his roof into Amazing Spider-Man.  The problem with this one is a)  I can't find the apartment building.  b) He doesn't discuss the issue the scene is in.

2)  The Parisian buildings Ross puts into ASM 143 & 144.  I'm convinced he used real buildings, just not in the right locations relative to real life.

There are probably a few more here and there, but for the most part, I think I found the majority.  

I didn't see many in Marvel Team Up.  I do see some in Ross's DC work and have posted a few as well.

How about something totally different?

Before their successful run on Amazing Spider-Man, Ross Andru and Mike Esposito teamed up on several projects together (seeing as they knew each other since high school and were best friends). Here is a little mentioned project from 1971 put out by Skywald Publishing entitled Hell-Rider. I'll be honest and say I have never read it either.

Looks a little grittier than the Flash, Wonder-Woman, Metal Men, or Spider-Man.

May be an illustration of 1 person and motorcycle

On 12/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Who can find this incredibly small error in this panel by Ross Andru from Amazing Spider-Man 143?  

image.png.06f3c0889bc0d2432a8a320679c4c2dd.png

east and west should be opposite?

On 12/5/2021 at 10:09 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I completely missed that, but there is also something else wrong with Ross's weather vane.

@ADAMANTIUM you're still in the game.

No arrow?