• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,724 posts in this topic

On 11/24/2021 at 5:57 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Yin Yang symbol? Kind of resembles it? It was discussed on Instagram.

I'll say no, but does have some elements of it.  

I love this cover, but not the colors.  How cool it would be with a blue background like ASM 148?  That orange is not working for me.

With ASM 161, these two issues marked the start of my collecting prowess, having never missed another issue (save 165) until issue 603 or so forth.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:31 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I'll say no, but does have some elements of it.  

I love this cover, but not the colors.  How cool it would be with a blue background like ASM 148?  That orange is not working for me.

With ASM 161, these two issues marked the start of my collecting prowess, having never missed another issue (save 165) until issue 603 or so forth.

Does the tram run that late for a full moon setting in blue? Lol

I like the colors, it’s like a sunrise/sunset type of orange gloominess.

As for 161, might have to pick one up as well. It does have that small cameo of Punisher at the end hm

While we are talking about ASM161, I found a few more real life images for this issue and have updated my comparisons accordingly.

The first image is dated much later than the original image comparison I shared, but that kiosk with the green roof was in this image which I thought was really cool.

The second comparison below was one of the first I did and kind of set me on my way of comparing Ross's work to his real life references 3 years ago.  What's new is the image in the lower right corner.  For years I asked myself what the heck was Ross drawing next to the Queensboro bridge on the side of the Tram car.  Now I know it was a tree and a building.  I thought one of those two was a cloud.  

image.thumb.png.82c8b23e58d990aa2f8e7b9ba63d83f6.png

image.thumb.png.f72deb125163dcbb426bdcd42c722c33.png

On 11/25/2021 at 4:36 PM, Spider-Variant said:

While we are talking about ASM161, I found a few more real life images for this issue and have updated my comparisons accordingly.

The first image is dated much later than the original image comparison I shared, but that kiosk with the green roof was in this image which I thought was really cool.

The second comparison below was one of the first I did and kind of set me on my way of comparing Ross's work to his real life references 3 years ago.  What's new is the image in the lower right corner.  For years I asked myself what the heck was Ross drawing next to the Queensboro bridge on the side of the Tram car.  Now I know it was a tree and a building.  I thought one of those two was a cloud.  

I still need this issue for sure! Sounds like a good time!

On 11/25/2021 at 5:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I still need this issue for sure! Sounds like a good time!

Looking back, I feel like this issue may have been the peak for Ross on the title.  Mike Esposito says as much as well.

This issue was also the first I bought in the continental USA, having started my collecting adventures in the state of Hawaii, where my Dad was stationed in the US Army.  Seems like yesterday I was picking this comic up at the PX.

On 11/25/2021 at 5:06 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Looking back, I feel like this issue may have been the peak for Ross on the title.  Mike Esposito says as much as well.

This issue was also the first I bought in the continental USA, having started my collecting adventures in the state of Hawaii, where my Dad was stationed in the US Army.  Seems like yesterday I was picking this comic up at the PX.

Awesome! I'm sure there were mark jewelers insert of this issue for sure!

I have a run of punisher appearances with mark jewelers, yet it stopped when I got to giant size spider-man #4, with the square bound. 

Still an awesome cover :)

Glad it means a lot, and you can share. Andru with Esposito is a good call!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/25/2021 at 6:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome! I'm sure there were mark jewelers insert of this issue for sure!

I have a run of punisher appearances with mark jewelers, yet it stopped when I got to giant size spider-man #4, with the square bound. 

Still an awesome cover :)

Glad it means a lot, and you can share. Andru with Esposito is a good call!

You know it's funny, even though I grew up on Army bases, I don't recall running into any Mark Jewelers inserts.  Weird.  

On 11/25/2021 at 5:26 PM, Spider-Variant said:

You know it's funny, even though I grew up on Army bases, I don't recall running into any Mark Jewelers inserts.  Weird.  

That too is interesting and food for thought, gobble gobble on this, Thanksgiving!

Lol :takeit:

On 11/25/2021 at 5:36 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Great finds

On 11/25/2021 at 2:36 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Awesome find. This stuff is very intriguing. It makes you love the art that much more.

Here's another comparison of Ross Andru's work on Amazing Spider-Man to his real life inspirations. From issue ASM 143, the action is set in Paris, as JJJ has been kidnapped by the Notorious Cyclone (me, chuckling out loud as I type that). Joe Robertson is led on a wild goose chase by the kidnappers, ending down by the Seine River, with Spidey in hot pursuit.

This is a really good match, but not 100%, which is probably why I didn't post this before. I think Ross added the buildings closer to the river than perhaps any really were. I also think he added buildings that weren't located in this specific location, but none that I can match to a real one.

In this panel, the steps are spot on, with the large stone at the top matching, as well as the light location. The bridge trusses match pretty well, but the actual bridge, Pont au Double, was more ornate than the one Ross drew. This bridge leads directly to the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, which is where future scenes from this two-part story are set.

I've read two different versions about the art from these two issues:

Ross took a vacation with his wife to France and wanted to use his pictures for the setting of a story.

Ross simple used art books for the buildings and bridges to place Spider-man in France.

I like the first version better.

image.thumb.png.89f1a56029b3008e33e9a71767be0eec.png

On 11/28/2021 at 8:17 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Here's another comparison of Ross Andru's work on Amazing Spider-Man to his real life inspirations. From issue ASM 143, the action is set in Paris, as JJJ has been kidnapped by the Notorious Cyclone (me, chuckling out loud as I type that). Joe Robertson is led on a wild goose chase by the kidnappers, ending down by the Seine River, with Spidey in hot pursuit.

This is a really good match, but not 100%, which is probably why I didn't post this before. I think Ross added the buildings closer to the river than perhaps any really were. I also think he added buildings that weren't located in this specific location, but none that I can match to a real one.

In this panel, the steps are spot on, with the large stone at the top matching, as well as the light location. The bridge trusses match pretty well, but the actual bridge, Pont au Double, was more ornate than the one Ross drew. This bridge leads directly to the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, which is where future scenes from this two-part story are set.

I've read two different versions about the art from these two issues:

Ross took a vacation with his wife to France and wanted to use his pictures for the setting of a story.

Ross simple used art books for the buildings and bridges to place Spider-man in France.

I like the first version better.

image.thumb.png.89f1a56029b3008e33e9a71767be0eec.png

Ross’ version has more detail and a better setting to the scene. If the building was added by him, it was a great idea. 

On 11/29/2021 at 4:17 AM, Spider-Variant said:

This bridge leads directly to the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, which is where future scenes from this two-part story are set.

Nice post Reggie. I think it's the opposite side (to Notre-Dame) that Ross depicted - the stepped side with the path going under the bridge as in this photo:

photo-1519787802087-largejpg.jpg.d209a86487f5b8527d3eff77632f36bc.jpg

In that, I see the buildings that Ross depicts, and how the elevated perspective in his drawing might bring them into play.