• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

Looks like a Miracleman #15 has been pressed (or simply re-graded) from a 9.8 into a 9.9 (one less 9.8 in the census and a 9.9 is there now sitting at the top of the pile!!). The lucky submitter is as good as guaranteed to get top of the registry set if they have the rest of them. Maybe it will come up for sale but not many will be able to afford it, including me I suspect. I am now officially jealous!

It's my book :gossip:

and it isn't pressed :devil:

I am absurdly jealous, but congratulations are also in order - did you think it was going to come back a 9.9 when you subbed the book?

:sick: erk... sorry everyone, now very embarrassed I was just joking - a bit of British defeatist humour! Michael, you're still no.1 don't worry. Sorry!

A 9.9 no.15 would be amazing and perhaps it is a pressed one?

I think after the flux of sig series 9.8s more 9.9s will begin to surface...

How much do you reckon a 9.9 15 would go for?

ironically I did submit a 15 that I thought would be a 9.9 - as perfect a my 12 but got JUST another worthless 9.8.... :acclaim:

Many congratulations Ewan and apologies for my suggestion it was pressed (just saw one less 9.8 and a 9.9 appear; 1+1=3 :) ). I think that makes you joint top in the set so you just need one more s/s to take the lead back to Albion! Mark Buckingham has been signing quite a few recently and Totleben is also signing again in September so it should be an interesting battle for the set this year but that 9.9 will be unbeatable in the long run.

Well done but if you want to sell it for a reasonable sum.... :takeit: or maybe swap it for something interesting?

Registry - I can't beat Michael now without spending £100s on sig series books - so my solace is that I've been no.1 two years previously (though with vastly inferior sets) it's moved on so much in recent years

I recall when a straight 9.8 set was beyond the realms of possibility as 9.8s of certain numbers didn't exist - no.8 and no.23 if I recall...

Like Olympic records, grading highs will continue to be beaten - well if CGC continue run the Olympics that is.... ;)

But again, why is the JJ set obscured?

If JJ has it, it isn't in his set yet (don't think his score has changed by that much since it has been obscured).

If the owner isn't one of the registry set contenders then maybe it will come up for sale. The head sketch #15's are the most expensive MM's so far and they market for over $1,000 (although they probably cost half that to put together: 9.8 + sketch/grading fees). I would say a #15 9.9 would go for a whole lot more but very hard to tell how much given there is only one, it's the top collected book in the set and there are lots of potential buyers out there.

I just submitted 3 x #15's, 1 x #17 and 1 x #24 but wont see them for a while as I only paid for "very slow" CGC grading. Don't think there are any 9.9's in there but you never know.

hm have to think about that, a #1 9.8 Alan Moore, very tempting.... marriage or comic...difficult decision...

Alternatively I could get a #1 Gold NM- copy for around $850 and flatten it into a 9.8 using a friend's trouser press.

Tell the Misses it's for "future" investment ;)

I suspect telling the kids their holiday in Florida is cancelled due to an "investment opportunity" would lead to some expensive litigation, a serious head injury and a sudden inability to have further children due to an inexplicable and violent upward movement of my wife's knee... (:

lol

Just in case nobody else noticed...

The 9.9 Miracleman #15 is up for sale at ComicLinks August auction. No... it's not mine. I just found it there and thought it could be interesting for someone.

I am curious how this will end. But surely out of my price range or at least out of the range I am willing to spend.

ComicLink - MM#15 CGC 9.9

it's a stunner alright - has that "perfectness" edge over 9.8s I've seen - a bit like a MM no.12 I know about but can't possibly mention on this section of the boards... ;)

So what do we reckon the no.15 will go for?

My view is a $2,000 book

Do we reckon its been pressed?

it's a stunner alright - has that "perfectness" edge over 9.8s I've seen - a bit like a MM no.12 I know about but can't possibly mention on this section of the boards... ;)

So what do we reckon the no.15 will go for?

My view is a $2,000 book

Do we reckon its been pressed?

No way of knowing, but my guess would be no. Maybe spot ironed to make sure the corners were flawless, but I can't see taking a book that had to be incredible "before" any hypothetical pressing and having it done. Stranger things have happened, though.

That is just a gorgeous copy.

I can see your temptation but PLEASE don't buy it, I'm BEGGING you, don't do it; at the moment there is just a faint possibility, a small slim chance, that one of us lesser mortals might catch you in the registry, one day in a far off future. If you took away that chance I don't know what we would do....we would be in a state of despair, broken, demoralised, without purpose and our sets would fall into disrepair :( . Put your temptation back into that dark place and lift the lives of your fellow boardies and give us renewed hope. :whee:

PS: Don't let JJ buy it either!