• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

I did let a Gold No. 1 go a while back and got $1500 it.

I can't even sell my gold #1 for 300 bucks. Go figure.

I've had trouble trying to sell mine, too. But, I'll sit on each and every one of them until I can sell them for more than what I paid.

I paid more than $300 for one of my golds and I paid less than $100 for some of the others. I got a lot more out of the last one I let go than what I paid for it (I think I gave somewhere around $75 for it and got $1500 — not a bad little profit).

I held onto that MM art, too, when no one wanted it, and got a lot more than what I'd paid for it. Some of my favorite pieces of art are in my collection all because of that MM art I bought for $1450 (total). That might sound like a lot, but, when you break it down, one Starlin cover, one Totleben cover preliminary, one Totleben page, eight Totleben sketches, three Deodato pages, it's not that much. I gave $1000 for the Starlin cover and got $4500 in trade for it.

Miracleman sells great but my 9.0 signature series copy signed by neil gaiman won't even sell for 70 bucks. I mean I always hear how well it sells. It is a great series. and I would kill for some Miracleman art ( I even have 1 sketch of miracleman) but I don't see issues selling for a whole lot unless it is a full set or the 3d 2d comic.

The thing is, those signature series comics were done by an outside company many, many years after Eclipse folded. So, what you have is a comic with a signature on it that's about the same as if you took your own copy to a show, got someone associated with the comic to sign it and called it a signature series. It's not the real thing, as if it were signed by creators through a deal with Eclipse, such as the case of the Golds and Blues.

What you don't understand is My MM 17 is a CGC signature series 9.0. Not something some rip off company did. It is one of a kind. It is an authentic signature. All my SS books sell well I even sold 2 of my neil gaiman SS books. But this one will not sell.

Miracleman sells great but my 9.0 signature series copy signed by neil gaiman won't even sell for 70 bucks. I mean I always hear how well it sells. It is a great series. and I would kill for some Miracleman art ( I even have 1 sketch of miracleman) but I don't see issues selling for a whole lot unless it is a full set or the 3d 2d comic.

The thing is, those signature series comics were done by an outside company many, many years after Eclipse folded. So, what you have is a comic with a signature on it that's about the same as if you took your own copy to a show, got someone associated with the comic to sign it and called it a signature series. It's not the real thing, as if it were signed by creators through a deal with Eclipse, such as the case of the Golds and Blues.

What you don't understand is My MM 17 is a CGC signature series 9.0. Not something some rip off company did. It is one of a kind. It is an authentic signature. All my SS books sell well I even sold 2 of my neil gaiman SS books. But this one will not sell.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying...

Sure, it's an official signature series 9.0. But, it's not something done through Eclipse, therefore it's not an OFFICIAL ECLIPSE signature series copy (there were no Eclipse signature series comics, other than the MM Gold and Blue). It's a comic signed by a creator after the fact. The golds and blues were sold at the Eclipse booth at the San Diego Comicon the year MM came out and then sold through Eclipse itself. The books were officially endorsed and sold by Eclipse. The current signature series comics are nice, but if you were to take a signed comic, submit it to CGC, it'd get a knock down in grade because of the signature. But, if CGC has it signed, it becomes a signature series comic. Ha! What a double standard.

What may actually hurt the comic is that it's a 9.0 and that's not a very high grade when there are higher graded copies out there.

I wouldn't give you $70 for the comic, even though it's a "signature series 9.0."

I wanted Miracleman to read, not to stick away in a box, hoping I can get back the $70 I spent to buy it (which I paid the $70 in hopes that it'd be worth a fortune later on and I could make a profit.).

Many HG issues don't sell for much more than $10-20, but they always sell and that's why people always mention how this series does well. You have to keep in mind that this series sells really well, but really only among a community of collectors "in the know". If Miracleman ever became more mainstream these issues would be worth much more.

As to the new figure...

sadly on the Newsarama story I have been either blasted or loved...

not to tough to find my post as it is the first...jonjesper

I stated it looked like Rob Liefeld with a Day Glo jacket ala Grant Morrison X-Men run...

horrible figure...so sad

Edited by jonjesper

As to the new figure...

sadly on the Newsarama story I have been either blasted or loved...

not to tough to find my post as it is the first...jonjesper

I stated it looked like Rob Liefeld with a Day Glo jacket ala Grant Morrison X-Men run...

horrible figure...so sad

It really does...this figure is totally pathetic. When will McFarlane ever get tired of being sued?

Hey Ewan, where do you see the A1 Sketchbook variant values going if word gets out about this book? Sure there's only 500 copies, but the book isn' t really a MM book. It has him and bates on the cover, but it's not a comic perse. As a result, there's no key story or anything of any significant substance to the book other than the cover. Thoughts?

Oh yeah and for anybody who cares, I just snapped up a NM copy of MM #23 (very tough to find with that purple cover) to replace my VF copy. I'm really psyched about that.

I don't see the A1 shooting up. Just wanted the hardcore fans to be aware! Though, the £100+ pounds I sold the 9.8 for was beyond ANY expectations.

Actually, I think it is a "true" MM book. Not part of the series, true - but significant as it's the first real re-appreance of MM since issue 24 (and none of this MacFarlane cak neither!).

No.23 is a great cover. Anyone got a 9.6 or higher? Sell it to me! laugh.gif

WTF is that? I mean who?

Its supposed to be McFarlane's "Man of Miracles" figure (based on the "Man of Miracles" app. in the Image 10th Anniversary HC and in Spawn #150). Its for real as far as I can tell. Here's a link to its page on the Spawn website :

http://spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=2952 .

This is just sad. Surely there has to be legal ramifications to this. It seems as if he can make this figure though (which I would assume would be in regular stores like the Spawn figures - i.e. Traget/Walmart and the like), Todd is flaunting the rights. Where's the legal action from the Gaiman camp? Is there any possible recourse? If this makes it onto typical store shelves, it would seem (at least in the public eye), that MM would be seen as a McFarlane property.

I'm disgusted. I would rather see MM shelved permanently (with no future of being reprinted,etc.) than to return like this. It hurts to say this, but that's how I feel. It seems like McFarlane is bastardizing a character we care about just for the heck of it. I'm ticked - I should probably go to bed and just be mad in the morning. Talk to you guys tommorow - Keith

Agreed. It's looks like total sh**e. The stupid hair offends me the most. The jacket a close second. It's like MM has been taken back to 1991 and drawn by Liefield and cronies. mad.gif Just utter crass, vile and tacky rubbish. And without being rude guys, the worst form of "Americanisation" / "Hollywoodisation" to what is essentially a very-English character...!

(Now I appreciate MM was based on Marvelman who was based on Captain Marvel, who was based on Superman... ... but you know what I mean...)

What I never understood was how could McFarlane do the first statue? And how did Bowen do the second?

What's the story of this "Man of Miracles" anyway?

I actually thoughT the cameo of Mike Moran in Hellspawn 6 seemed promising... but not this!

Many HG issues don't sell for much more than $10-20, but they always sell and that's why people always mention how this series does well. You have to keep in mind that this series sells really well, but really only among a community of collectors "in the know". If Miracleman ever became more mainstream these issues would be worth much more.

As well as MM being my key collecting interest, I also sell a load of MM and related stuff as I upgrade (I'm selling the TPBs on ebay now - see ewan_b) or simply decide to sell.

As far as my experience has shown, all issue sell but 15, 23 and 24 sell much, much better than the rest. With perhaps the rest of the Totleben run and no.9 someway behind. A full run 1-24 always does well.

The MM Apocrypha & Family don't do well. Neither do many of the related books.

So the key thing is, MM sells because people want to READ IT. This is an important distinction! No.15 is no scarcer than 14 or 16 but sells for a preimuim because it's such a fantastic story.

As mentioned earlier, I sold a 23 signed by Gaiman for £40 / $90. Actually, it's probably the 9.0 that puts people off I'm afraid.

I also spent nearly $800 on 9.8s of 15, 17 and 20 last year. So you buy, you enjoy, you sell! Good fun all round!

Just sold my Miracleman Gold #1 for $500 on eBay. It was graded 8.5 by CGC, but I took it out of the slab to scan the signature.

Just thought you guys might want to know.

Thanks for the update. Did you have a BIN set and popped? Or was it bid up to $500? (I haven't searched eBay yet tongue.gif)

Hey guys,

I'm in the NEW Yahoo Miracleman group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marvelman_miracleman , and in the relatively new google Miracleman group, http://groups.google.com/group/Miracleman , and the members of those lists have put together (and are still adding too smile.gif) a comprehensive Miracleman appearance list. One of the members found a relatively obscure appearance in which Miracleman appears in the background of Storm: Chronicles of Pandarve Book 4 (this was a book by Don Larsen, one of the Silver Age Marvelman artists). There is a scan of this image on the yahoo group site. So, if you want to keep up with stuff like this (and possibly help out with the checklist), join the groups! - Keith

Just sold my Miracleman Gold #1 for $500 on eBay. It was graded 8.5 by CGC, but I took it out of the slab to scan the signature.

Just thought you guys might want to know.

Thanks for the update. Did you have a BIN set and popped? Or was it bid up to $500? (I haven't searched eBay yet tongue.gif)

That's a fair price (it's a bit over-priced in OS) - so well done. laugh.gif

Actually, it probably sold for more because you took it out of the slab!

My recent ebay sales include (nearly double the amounts for $)

Miracleman Book 1 in VF/NM £31.00

Miracleman Book 2 in NM- £47.66

Miracleman Book 3 in VF+ £60.00

Miracleman Book 4 in MINT £25.68

Comics international x 2 Miracleman £10.51

Miracleman 5 CGC 9.6 £14.73 (poor!)

Miracleman 16 CGC 9.6 top census £56.00 (better!)

Miracleman 9 & 14 NM £8.71

And I just bought two more CGC 9.8s - no.1 for $96 and no.3 for $35! laugh.gif

I've about 10 going off for grading soon too. Will let you know the outcome!

miraclem1.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm in the NEW Yahoo Miracleman group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marvelman_miracleman , and in the relatively new google Miracleman group, http://groups.google.com/group/Miracleman , and the members of those lists have put together (and are still adding too smile.gif) a comprehensive Miracleman appearance list. One of the members found a relatively obscure appearance in which Miracleman appears in the background of Storm: Chronicles of Pandarve Book 4 (this was a book by Don Larsen, one of the Silver Age Marvelman artists). There is a scan of this image on the yahoo group site. So, if you want to keep up with stuff like this (and possibly help out with the checklist), join the groups! - Keith

Keith, can you show that list here please?

Additionally, what the f*** is going on with all this Jon Junner stuff and Dez Skinn, can you give a summary as I've lost the will to live...

Hey guys,

Keith, can you show that list here please?

Additionally, what the f*** is going on with all this Jon Junner stuff and Dez Skinn, can you give a summary as I've lost the will to live...

I'll post the list later on tonight when I can dig it up. Also, I've given up on the old Yahoo group with the Junner and Skinn stuff. I don't read the stuf anymore and I terminated my membership earlier this week.

Hey guys just a question since you all are big MM collector's too: Can anybody think of some other MM or MM related books worth adding to my collection? Here's what I have:

MM 1-24

MM 3-D

Apocrypha 1-3

MM Family 1,2

A1 Sketchbook (2 copies on the way in the mail as we speak)

I've heard that A1 #1 has a warpsmith story by Moore and that Neil Gaiman wrote a MM story in Total Eclipse #4. Any other books I should keep an eye out for?

Guys

This is my Miracleman collection as it stands laugh.gif - not to boast - but it's pretty reflective of what exists out there (after a lot of research!) -

Eclipse Miracleman 1-24 (Copies bought as released, except 17 - including the UK variant of no.1 - has Dez Skinn Quality advert on back cover)

Eclipse Miracleman 1-6, 8, 10, 12-17, 20, 24 in CGC 9.0 to 9.8. (No.s 2, 13, 15, 16, 17 and 20 are highest census copies). I'm trying to get every copy graded above 9.0.

Atomeka A1 Sketchbook, Unsigned Leach cover CGC 9.8 x 2

Atomeka A1 no.1 1989, VF lovely Warpsmiths cover & story, under-rated

Atomeka A1 Sketchbook, MINT x 2, WS cover by Leach

Eclipse Miracleman TPBs Books 1-5. I don't have any of the Hard-backs or the US version of The Golden Age (there was a UK and US cover). VF to MINT (my Apoc is factory sealed still).

Eclipse Miracleman 3D, NM

Eclipse Miracleman 2D 893whatthe.gif - no, I haven't got a copy - this is the holy grail of all MM issues. Chris and I think less than 10 exist - see info earlier in this thread. Super-rare and impossible to identify!

Eclipse Apocrypha 1-3, NM

Eclipse Miracleman Family 1, 2 NM - getting scarce in high grade

Eclipse Total Eclipse 1-5 VF-NM - impossible in super high-grade. MM is on the cover of 2, 4 and 5. No.4 contains the 1st Gaiman MM - the 10 page, "The Screaming". Copies are on Mile High.

Eclipse Alex Pressbutton 2 NM, reprints Warpsmiths "Cold War, Cold Warrior"

Image Hellspawn 6 NM, Mike Moran cameo

Image Spawn / MM Litho - retailer incentive, NM, some were signed by McFarlane - quite common on ebay, great art I think

Image Spawn / MM figures, MINT, San Diego 2003

Image MM Statue, MINT, 2003, big version of the above, there's a copy of previews with this as a cover I remember

Bowen Designs, MM Statue - don't have this yet

Marvel UK - MSH 387 FN, 388 (not got), Daredevils 7 VF

Marvel X-Men Archives 2 and 4. Reprints the UK issues above. NM

Quality Warrior 1-26

Quality Marvelman Special

Quality MM, YM, KM badges from 1985

Eclipse "On Sale Here" Poster, cover to MM 1 and DNAgents no.1, VF

Eclipse Issue 2 cover poster

Eclipse Extra 16, 4 page promo with Beckum MM cover, NM

Eclipse MM Square Badge - Beckum art - see back cover of 5 (I think), MINT

Eclipse 10th Anniversary Poster, MINT

Eclipse MM T-shirt, MM logo on chest

Eclipse MM The Golden Age Postcard, 1993 San Diego con

Eclipse MM The Golden Age Coin - one on ebay now, MINT

Known Fanzines - don't have all of these by any means

Advanced Comics 57 - has MM 25 solicitation - rare!

Advanced Comics 64 - has MM Triumphant solicitation - rare!

Comics international 128 - MM cover & inside feature, FN

Comics International 147 - Warpsmiths cover by Leach, VF

Fantasy Express 5 - has Moore as MM cover by Alan Davis - rare!

Fusion 2 & 4 - have Kid Miracleman covers (I believe) rare!

Speakeasy - 50something - has original MM cover by Leach - rare, had this years ago but lost it tongue.gif

Speakeasy 68 - MM cover by Totleben - original sketch, NM - there is a least one copy on Mile High now - go get it!

Arken Sword 17/18 - has extensive Alan Davis interview - and a unique MM / Captain Britain half-page strip! Superb! VF

Amazing Heroes 85, NM, MM cover by Davis

Amazing Heroes 142, MM on cover, Eclipse 10th Anniversary

Foreign

Super Comics - Italian squarebound series reprinting Book 1 on high quality paper. I have no.20 so far. Still investigating this.

MM was also published by companies in Spain & Brazil.

There is also a French & Portuguese hard-cover versions of Book 1. The French one is quite common on ebay.

And that's everything I know of...

But... I haven't got any original art! frown.gif

I've had this tucked away, always loved the cover. The #16 is on the above list but I didn't see this one.

eclipseextra44.jpg

Edited by GACollectibles

I finally finished my 1-24 run today! 24 was by far the hardest to find a decent copy at a fair price. I have all the other Eclipse books as well (Family, Apocrypha, 3d, Total Eclipse). I am not interested in any of the Spawn/Image stuff but was wondering if the Atomeka stuff or speakeasy are worth tracking down?

The final (for now at least) Lying in the Gutters column was published yesterday, and Rich Johnston has some disconcerting news about the latest twist in the Marvelman rights saga... :slapfight:

John Campbell and his brother of Emotiv Records in Glasgow formed a relationship with Mick Anglo, and currently represent his rights in the matter.

And Moore recently stated that he was happy for his work to be used to help Mick Anglo out in that respect, whether that be in reprints, a cartoon series or whatever.

It's this "whatever" that is causing some concern, however.

One proposal, to circumvent a number of rights issues, would be to take Moore's original scripts for the series and offer them to other artists to draw, And as the current state of play have none of the Marvelman/Miracleman artists owning any rights to the series as a whole, this proposed "remake" would see them without a penny in royalties.

And this wouldn't cover the Neil Gaiman/Mark Buckingham issues either.

Expect to see a number of possibilities, and versions of the series in the near future. though not necessarily the version you actually want. As Steve Bissette said, if you want this series, find the cheapest way to buy the issues of the original series - and do it now.