• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

I remember an interview with Alan where he said he was told that no one owned the rights to Marvelman when he started the series. He found out later that Mick Anglo had always owned the rights. He has completely soured on superhero comics because of the way the original creators were treated by Marvel/DC/etc.

The final (for now at least) Lying in the Gutters column was published yesterday, and Rich Johnston has some disconcerting news about the latest twist in the Marvelman rights saga... :slapfight:

John Campbell and his brother of Emotiv Records in Glasgow formed a relationship with Mick Anglo, and currently represent his rights in the matter.

And Moore recently stated that he was happy for his work to be used to help Mick Anglo out in that respect, whether that be in reprints, a cartoon series or whatever.

It's this "whatever" that is causing some concern, however.

One proposal, to circumvent a number of rights issues, would be to take Moore's original scripts for the series and offer them to other artists to draw, And as the current state of play have none of the Marvelman/Miracleman artists owning any rights to the series as a whole, this proposed "remake" would see them without a penny in royalties.

And this wouldn't cover the Neil Gaiman/Mark Buckingham issues either.

Expect to see a number of possibilities, and versions of the series in the near future. though not necessarily the version you actually want. As Steve Bissette said, if you want this series, find the cheapest way to buy the issues of the original series - and do it now.

So what does this mean? :(Sorry if I'm that thick headed.

Basically, no one clearly owns all the rights to the Miracleman stories as published by Warrior and then Eclipse in the 1980s. The entire 1980s project may have been an exercise in unauthorized use of characters not actually owned by the publishers! There are competing claims to the character, and thus competing claims to those scripts featuring the character and that artwork featuring the character.

If the report is true, then Marvelman creator Mick Anglo has the clearest claim to the character (maybe named Marvelman, maybe Miracleman, not sure on that point). Reportedly Alan Moore has sided with Anglo. So the likely quickest way we'll ever see the series return to publication in any form would be Anglo having all of Alan Moore's original scripts re-drawn by other artists, and thus not the series as it originally was printed 25 years ago.

Basically, no one clearly owns all the rights to the Miracleman stories as published by Warrior and then Eclipse in the 1980s. The entire 1980s project may have been an exercise in unauthorized use of characters not actually owned by the publishers! There are competing claims to the character, and thus competing claims to those scripts featuring the character and that artwork featuring the character.

If the report is true, then Marvelman creator Mick Anglo has the clearest claim to the character (maybe named Marvelman, maybe Miracleman, not sure on that point). Reportedly Alan Moore has sided with Anglo. So the likely quickest way we'll ever see the series return to publication in any form would be Anglo having all of Alan Moore's original scripts re-drawn by other artists, and thus not the series as it originally was printed 25 years ago.

AHHH-HAA! Thanks for clearing that up for me. :grin:

A one-year bump on this thread. Anybody had any luck pinning down copies of Marvel Super Heroes 388 or The Daredevils #7 in high grade? I've been running around getting OA, but I've kept my eyes pealed for these all the same.

Finally picked up a Miracleman #1 Blue with certificate. - Keith

Edited by pkveronese

Hey Everybody,

I just received some Totleben Miracleman art, including an alternate cover concept for Miracleman #12. Here's a link:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=6771

Here is one of the pieces, a sketch of the final panel of Miracleman #13:

mm13w.jpg

Have a great weekend! - Keith Veronese

Latinsensation had loads of incredible books listed over the past few days, but I think the challenge of his shipping costs may have thrown off higher bids.

Either that, or having 150 (+) slabs may wear down bidders' wallets early before they got to the later auctions.

So here is a little gem that very few Miracleman collectors even know about. I sure didn't until a few months ago. It took me a few weeks to research it.

Read the back cover and it will give all the information.

Miracleman appears on the cover only and is drawn by Mark Buckingham. Back cover also contains references to Miracleman and Eclipse Comics.

scan0267-6.jpg

scan0266-6.jpg

I just read the article and I still don't understand how Neil Gaiman is part owner of Medieval Spawn and Angela? Isn't Medieval Spawn a derivative of Spawn? I can only guess this was not "work for hire". It's strange to see Todd McFarlane losing the suit for the 2 other female angel characters and the Dark Spawn character since they are derivatives of these other 2 characters.

I can only guess this is karma at work here.

Quick question about the Golden Age TPB.

I have just picked up the McKean cover copy for £6.50 (ten dollars) is this the second print, or UK copy or what?

I thought this was the first printing but I'm not sure now my commic software says its the 2nd print.

Either way its a bargain for me.

I have just picked up the McKean cover copy for £6.50 (ten dollars) is this the second print, or UK copy or what?

I thought this was the first printing but I'm not sure now my commic software says its the 2nd print.

Miracleman the Golden Age TPB.

1st print.

1st.jpg

2nd print

2nd.jpg

Thats a great price Neil, where did you get it.

Miracleman the Golden Age TPB.

1st print.

1st.jpg

2nd print

2nd.jpg

Thats a great price Neil, where did you get it.

It's the other way around ...

This is the 1st print with a publication date of 1992:

2nd.jpg

This is the 2nd print with a publication date of 1993:

1st.jpg

(shrug)

Value both of your opinions.

My copy does indeed say ©1993 and also ©1992 for the introduction.

So this does look like the second print/UK copy.

There are many over here that see this copy as the first print, especially in ebay listings.

Thanks for input.

Need more activity in this thread.