• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New CGC Shipping Restrictions???
2 2

166 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

If you have an issue with CGC, I strongly suggest you call AND write management.  I spoke with a CS rep regarding a separate issue and based on what I was told, it seems that they don't receive all that many complaints.  The majority of requests are related to accounting or information about submission status.  I'm also not sure how much they patrol the boards and take what is said here into account.  (Granted, a CS rep is probably less likely to surf the web searching for issues.  I'm sure some other internal employees does that).

That said, it might behoove the board to go the GotG cast route: have someone write up a well thought out letter detailing the issues and perhaps provide some suggestions.  At the bottom of the letter, have all boardies sign with their name on account and/or board name like a petition.  Have each boardie email the same signed letter to CGC and request it be sent to a manager.

A. It's too late now, since it's after the change was not announced. They can't go back in time and announce it.

B. You'd be surprised how quickly things are noticed. These are "their" boards.

C.I now know for the next time;)

I suppose with books other than walkthroughs you should have a few days to figure out where you are going to be the following week. Once the book says graded, it's time to cancel all vacations;)

Registered is a good alternative. At least you can tell the PO to hold the package and do it (online). 

Edited by skypinkblu

44 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

A. It's too late now, since it's after the change was not announced. They can't go back in time and announce it.

B. You'd be surprised how quickly things are noticed. These are "their" boards.

C.I now know for the next time;)

A.  It's too late to announce the change, but maybe if enough people voice opposition to this position, maybe they'll go back to the old way and re-think their strategy.

B.  These may be their boards, but other than to keep things clean, prevent spamming, prevent discussion about other grading companies, it's possible they don't pay too much attention to the topics.  I mean, there are a lot of useless topics that we bring up that don't relate to them, so it's understandable.  But in the case in which I called CS, the lady seemed surprised as though she was hearing what I was bringing to her attention for the first time, despite the fact that it's something I've seen mentioned a few times on these boards.  So I'm not really sure how much of what is said/suggeted here makes it to Sarasota.

A HUGE HUGE THANK YOU TO THE OP.

I have a submission that just switched to scheduled for grading. If I didn't see this thread I would have been in a world of hurt. I work Monday to Friday during normal delivery times and have no way of getting someone to be home. I always use to switch delivery destination once shipped but thankfully I was able to email cgc and have them switch the mailing address for me.

Thanks again.

If I'm not mistaken everything had to be shipped registered mail not too long again.  So CGC offering fedex ground with your own account in a plus although I think this redirecting block is a little too much. I have a batch of books I'm working up to get ready to send their way and this is nice to know. With that it mind I check with my local fedex office and they told me to just ship it to them with my name on the package and we would be good to go. SO that advice earlier in this thread is (thumbsu. Still not sure why they would need to do something like this that even has to make you "work around it".

Oh and for those thinking CBCS might be looking better. Go to their website it looks like it did 2 years ago with still no registry or census or cases that are tamper evident. The pasture is not always greener on the other side.

Somewhat unrelated but i'm having a nightmare right now trying to get my USPS registered mail package from CGC.  USPS Registered Mail is not only slow but the tracking is a joke, and the mail carriers often don't even know where the package is even if you investigate.  they attempted delivery almost a week ago and I scheduled a redelivery and waited all day/night that day and the next & they never redelivered and of course the tracking never updates after that....I had to send my mom to the post office and no luck, been calling them for days and people keep saying they will call me back, they literally don't know where my package is even though it's been in my town for ALMOST A WEEK since the original delivery attempt....basically if you don't have someone at home at all time then you are screwed because once the first delivery attempt fails then good luck...this happens every other time to me.  and my local usps is NOT open saturdays and I can't go during their meager business hours.  whole thing sucks

18 minutes ago, nrad1968 said:

Somewhat unrelated but i'm having a nightmare right now trying to get my USPS registered mail package from CGC.  USPS Registered Mail is not only slow but the tracking is a joke, and the mail carriers often don't even know where the package is even if you investigate.  they attempted delivery almost a week ago and I scheduled a redelivery and waited all day/night that day and the next & they never redelivered and of course the tracking never updates after that....I had to send my mom to the post office and no luck, been calling them for days and people keep saying they will call me back, they literally don't know where my package is even though it's been in my town for ALMOST A WEEK since the original delivery attempt....basically if you don't have someone at home at all time then you are screwed because once the first delivery attempt fails then good luck...this happens every other time to me.  and my local usps is NOT open saturdays and I can't go during their meager business hours.  whole thing sucks

You are correct, if you miss the original delivery on a Registered mail it's good luck after that. You are correct, tracking is a joke, actually there is no real tracking.  You are correct, the delivery for Registered mail is slow, very slow. You also didn't mention how expensive it is. So why do you continue to choose Registered mail ? :baiting:

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You are correct, if you miss the original delivery on a Registered mail it's good luck after that. You are correct, tracking is a joke, actually there is no real tracking.  You are correct, the delivery for Registered mail is slow, very slow. You also didn't mention how expensive it is. So why do you continue to choose Registered mail ? :baiting:

I thought that was the only choice, at least CGC made it seem that way, the forms say something about $100 insurance limit for FedEx/UPS.  I don't have a FedEX account if that makes a difference.  

Edited by nrad1968

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Is it hard to set up a UPS/FedEx account?  I figured I don't have enough packages to warrant going this route.

4 minutes ago, nrad1968 said:

I thought that was the only choice, at least CGC made it seem that way, the forms say something about $100 insurance limit for FedEx/UPS.  I don't have a FedEX account if that makes a difference.  

If I recall, it is the only choice unless you have a UPS or FedEx account.  Personally, I'd much rather create some sort of USPS account and have it shipped 2 day Priority Mail.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

If I recall, it is the only choice unless you have a UPS or FedEx account.  Personally, I'd much rather create some sort of USPS account and have it shipped 2 day Priority Mail.

It's been many years since I set up my Fedex account but I did it online, I don't recall it being difficult. Yes, you have to put your Fedex account number on the CGC form. CGC will not charge you for shipping or insurance. It is billed to your Fedex account. Fedex Ground from Florida gets to me in two days, always promptly delivered in the same time window around 10:AM. USPS has Priority but not necessarily 2 day Priority, sometimes it 3 days and it's delivered in a 3 to 4 hour window, for me late afternoon. In summary I get my packages from Fedex 2nd day 10:00AM. USPS Priority, at best 2nd day late afternoon. 

15 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Is it hard to set up a UPS/FedEx account?  I figured I don't have enough packages to warrant going this route.

Another small bonus of information. If you use Registered mail, CGC bills you up front, possibly months before you get the book. Using Fedex on the CGC form, you are billed by Fedex the day after delivery. 

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Another small bonus of information. If you use Registered mail, CGC bills you up front, possibly months before you get the book. Using Fedex on the CGC form, you are billed by Fedex the day after delivery. 

Appreciate it, feeling pretty stupid now...USPS is such a joke, and the people are just the best and brightest you know?  I sent my poor mom the other day to our local USPS to see if she could get the package..,and they refused to even check if it was there!  

14 minutes ago, nrad1968 said:

Appreciate it, feeling pretty stupid now...USPS is such a joke, and the people are just the best and brightest you know?  I sent my poor mom the other day to our local USPS to see if she could get the package..,and they refused to even check if it was there!  

Yet one more tidbit of information. Depending on the size and value of your collection, you may want to consider private insurance. Most of us that have comic insurance use a company called CIS, Collectibles Insurance Services. If you have a policy with them, they cover you on shipping for up to 200(? maybe 250) and a LOT more than that if you use Fedex with signature. This means you don't have to buy insurance from the carrier. It helps !

There is a way to get FedEx and UPS to deliver to PO Boxes.

At least, that's how the main branch of the USPS in Burbank, CA (91505) manages.

The way to do it is to have the physical address of the branch that contains your PO Box and address it like this:

Fred Savage

2140 N Hollywood Way Unit 12121

Burbank, CA 91505

...with "Unit 12121" being your PO Box number. Then, FedEx and UPS delivers to the PO, and the PO delivers to your box. It's a nice little service.

I don't know if that's the case around the country. but it's worth looking into.

OR...you can get a box at a "mail store" that also has a physical address.

I use USPS Registered Mail because 1. It's insured for the full amount I declare; 2. despite the claims above, it's under lock and key the entire way; 3. the postal inspectors take Registered Mail very seriously, and stamp it out when there's a problem.

I've never had an issue with Registered mail, and I've sent and received hundreds of them over the years.

If your individual PO is hassling you, talk to the Postmaster.