• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New CGC Shipping Restrictions???
2 2

166 posts in this topic

I tied to have my package held and was told by FedEx that the carrier (CGC) put shipping restrictions, so it cannot be redirected or held. It must be delivered to the address on the package and signed. FedEx told me to contact the shipper (CGC) and they can modify the instructions.

So I called CGC and they said that they will not (company policy) modify the shipping once shipped. So now I have to take the day off just to sign for the package.

CGC told me that they had problems with packages being redirected, then picked up by someone other than the owner (since it seems anyone can sign, no ID required ... hummm).

No good solution here. Stuck taking the day off to get my package. In the future I will have them sent to work where someone is there that can sign for them.

3 minutes ago, brian's comics said:

CGC told me that they had problems with packages being redirected, then picked up by someone other than the owner (since it seems anyone can sign, no ID required ... hummm).

No good solution here. Stuck taking the day off to get my package. In the future I will have them sent to work where someone is there that can sign for them.

If this is the case, they should be on the shipper's case for not adhering to the signature/ID policy.  Ridiculous to punish the customer for doing nothing wrong.

The problem is definitely caused by very poor service from the shippers. I have had nothing but problems with both FedEx and UPS. It would be nice if one of the following could be done =>

1) if CGC expanded to more cities (franchise?) so I could drop of my comics locally and pick up locally. This would get rid of the shipping problem, provide faster service, and save me time and money and aggravation.

2) if CGC opened hubs where you could drop off you books and pick them up when finished. CGC could have its own trucks picking up and dropping off. Then they could charge a shipping fee and keep the money themselves.  

11 minutes ago, brian's comics said:

The problem is definitely caused by very poor service from the shippers. I have had nothing but problems with both FedEx and UPS. It would be nice if one of the following could be done =>

1) if CGC expanded to more cities (franchise?) so I could drop of my comics locally and pick up locally. This would get rid of the shipping problem, provide faster service, and save me time and money and aggravation.

2) if CGC opened hubs where you could drop off you books and pick them up when finished. CGC could have its own trucks picking up and dropping off. Then they could charge a shipping fee and keep the money themselves.  

And how do you think the integrity of the grading will be if CGC had franchises ? I'm sorry but both these suggestions are really 'out there'. You want CGC to be another Amazon.

Like I said earlier, no good solution. Of course my previous solutions are "out there" and have problems. McDonalds thought the same thing when they started branching. And while they sometimes have quality problems, so did the orig. location.

Of course, if you don't like the shipping restrictions (and I do not) there are other grading companies to turn to. Seem drastic when I like the CGC cases best.

Maybe a simple solution is to have the customer SELECT their shipping options. Like the following:

Require signature?

Allow re-address?

Allow costumer pick up?

Accept shipping risk?

Since I am paying for the shipping, and its my books, I should be able to select the shipping options. If they are not secure options, then I should be able to accept a disclaimer that releases CGC from shipping responsibility.

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, brian's comics said:

I tied to have my package held and was told by FedEx that the carrier (CGC) put shipping restrictions, so it cannot be redirected or held. It must be delivered to the address on the package and signed. FedEx told me to contact the shipper (CGC) and they can modify the instructions.

So I called CGC and they said that they will not (company policy) modify the shipping once shipped. So now I have to take the day off just to sign for the package.

Why is this CGC's problem? That's on Fed Ex. CGC's liability for your order ends when they hand it off to the carrier. If the carrier messes up, your package gets lost or stolen that's between you and the carrier.

Also, if the carrier can't be trusted to let just anyone pick up a package without ID, then why should we trust them to deliver to the correct address and/or obtain a signature? Also, why is it okay to have the package shipped to the carrier facility (i.e. Fed Ex Office) directly. Doesn't this offer the same "danger" that CGC is trying to avoid?

1 hour ago, brian's comics said:

3 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

Why is this CGC's problem? That's on Fed Ex. CGC's liability for your order ends when they hand it off to the carrier. If the carrier messes up, your package gets lost or stolen that's between you and the carrier.

Also, if the carrier can't be trusted to let just anyone pick up a package without ID, then why should we trust them to deliver to the correct address and/or obtain a signature? Also, why is it okay to have the package shipped to the carrier facility (i.e. Fed Ex Office) directly. Doesn't this offer the same "danger" that CGC is trying to avoid?

Also, also - I'd like to hear more about the incidents where packages have been redirected and stolen. My first question is how is the thief getting the tracking number (which you need to redirect the package)? Doesn't that information only belong to CGC, the customer, and the carrier? Are employees of Fed Ex and UPS stealing these packages? If so, one would think they could do this without the package having to be redirected. And if it's not employees of the carrier, then that implies an "inside job." If that's the case, CGC should be investigating that rather than punishing its customers with this ridiculous shipping restriction.

58 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

Normally I would agree but CGC didn't inform their customers of this change.

Even if they did, it's not reasonable to assume a typical homeowner is going to be there when fed ex is every time.

I can't accept packages where I work. 

It's an inconvenience to me to set up another permanent shipping address because sometimes it works out I am home but now I have to go out of my way to get a package? 

Being able to select when I need to reroute the delivery or keep it set to my house should be the customer's option.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:21 AM, I like pie said:

To follow up, I was still out of town on Friday on the first delivery attempt. When I got back Saturday there wasn't a fed ex slip, which I thought was odd, but the next delivery attempt was set for today and I could be home to get it. I'm outside working on my car and see a fed ex truck drive right by. I look at the tracking info and it says they attempted to delivery today and no one was here. I call Fed Ex to see if they can send the driver back. Maybe he was going to the wrong address. They say he came and no answer and a second notice was left and it will be shipped back to CGC if a third attempt doesn't work.

I ask if I can have it held at the local fed ex kinkos for pick up and, of course, they say CGC set restrictions for that. They are attempting to contact the driver to send him back today. Now I have to stay here the rest of the day in case he comes back.

What a mess.:eyeroll:

Day three follow up. It was on the truck for delivery all day and the status just changed to:

1Capture.PNG

Now I have to pick it up at the fed ex shipping center tonight because I'm not off again until next Monday.

Edited by I like pie

14 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Day three follow up. It was on the truck for delivery all day and the status just changed to:

1Capture.PNG

Now I have to pick it up at the fed ex shipping center tonight because I'm not off again until next Monday.

I'm almost certain this has something to do with these shipping restrictions. Not only do customers not have the option to redirect to pick up, but Fed Ex isn't even delivering on the days they are supposed to. 

3 hours ago, I like pie said:

I'm on my second day staying at home waiting for Fed Ex.

There's a stripper out there somewhere that won't make it through college now. 

Strippers make so much money they usually don't finish or go to college anyway  

14 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

I'm almost certain this has something to do with these shipping restrictions. Not only do customers not have the option to redirect to pick up, but Fed Ex isn't even delivering on the days they are supposed to. 

UPS does the same thing, Home all day, check the tracking only to have it say "No one home, another delivery will be made"  I live about 20 mins away from the UPS center and just have the package held for customer pick up. 

17 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

Last week, my package came a day early...which actually worked out better, but we had no idea they were changing the date till that morning. I was thinking it just had to do with the time it took to get there, not the restrictions.

I tried to have fedex hold it at their location so I could pick it up. No can do. Had to have them try to deliver 3 times then go pick it up at same location.... One of the reasons I liked Fedex was usually got my books in 2 or 3 days instead of the 2 weeks for USPS RM.