• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Signature Auction Aug 2-4
2 2

233 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Doctor Strange 55 is probably one of the most influential single Marvel issues by any artist in the last 35 years. So many of the talented creators working today have pointed to this issue as their spark of inspiration. It's in the top 5 single issues of several artists. And for Golden it's at the top of the heap, along with Avengers Ann 10 and his early 'Nam work (along with a few others) that really cemented him a force of creative nature. 

It is? First I’ve heard of this. 

11 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Well, if you are considering a bid .... you may have just cost yourself a few dollars. Good luck!

It's ok, I figure anyone bidding above 9500 would be the particular choir I was already preaching to. 

40 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Doctor Strange 55 is probably one of the most influential single Marvel issues by any artist in the last 35 years. So many of the talented creators working today have pointed to this issue as their spark of inspiration. It's in the top 5 single issues of several artists. And for Golden it's at the top of the heap, along with Avengers Ann 10 and his early 'Nam work (along with a few others) that really cemented him a force of creative nature. 

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It is? First I’ve heard of this. 

I hope it's not and people stop bidding, but I fear it is...

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I hope it's not and people stop bidding, but I fear it is...

Chris is absolutely correct.  This issue is a milestone and a classic artistically, independent of it only being a Dr. Strange title.  I'm really surprised some people don't know this, but maybe it's not considered a "key" issue on the comic collecting side of things?  Not sure, as I haven't collected comics in decades.  Regardless, almost any price paid for a nice page from this issue would not surprise on the upside.  It's that important and influential an issue (at least artistically).

Edited by stinkininkin

37 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Chris is absolutely correct.  This issue is a milestone and a classic artistically, independent of it only being a Dr. Strange title.  I'm really surprised some people don't know this, but maybe it's not considered a "key" issue on the comic collecting side of things?  Not sure, as I haven't collected comics in decades.  Regardless, almost any price paid for a nice page from this issue would not surprise on the upside.  It's that important and influential an issue (at least artistically).

You hit the nail on the head, Scott.  I was definitely into Spidey and X-Men during the early 80's, but I didn't know anybody that collected Dr. Strange.  We all considered him to be a 4th tier hero not worthy of our time so I can totally see how this issue was overlooked.

I collected Doc all the way from 80s on and know artists love the issue but I can tell you that it isn't a valuable comic in any sense of the word. I had the Golden portfolio in my off campus apartment in 86, bought it in Cheap Thrills record store in New Brunswick NJ! (reaches over about six feet to the left and grabs it)

DjeSUQjW4AIUWqD.jpg

9 hours ago, comix4fun said:
9 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Talk about a ringing endorsement. You should get a commission on the sale after that amazing description!

I hesitated to say anything because I'd love to own this. lol 

I was assuming you were the consignor! :baiting:

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

That's a shame, as the Rogers/Golden/Smith run on Dr Strange is right there in the top 5 things Marvel did during that time.

Aside from Detective, Rogers' very short run on Doc Strange (#48-53) is, without a doubt, the best work he ever did. Every page is, as the Detective run, a feast for the eyes. 

That aside, there are a few pieces I'm bidding on...we'll see how it turns out.

10 hours ago, tth2 said:

I was assuming you were the consignor! :baiting:

lol Naw, I just can't hide my honest opinion....to my detriment sometimes.