• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ebay farce of the day. Photo of Detective 27s on a shelf... $5000.00

230 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Frankly, you should be taking a victory lap for bringing to everyone's attention the first photo of a D27 in the wild that anyone's ever seen.  I, for one, am ready to give you serious kudos for that.  It is a very neat picture!  (I agree with you completely it is over priced.)   Not sure why you are claiming that your discovery is nothing special.  It is special.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned somewhere in this thread, but the seller is David Welch, a very well-known Pez historian. I used to collect Pez in the early 90s. His book Collecting Pez was that hobby's equivalent of the Gerber Photo-Journals.

And the memory recreation starts instantly-you do not even have to go back more than 10 minutes.  Ask any police officer getting witness statements you will get a wide range of memories-it was a white guy with a gun. It was 2 black guys with knives.  It was a mexican guy with no weapon.  Each person is sure of their memory.

1 minute ago, kav said:

And the memory recreation starts instantly-you do not even have to go back more than 10 minutes.  Ask any police officer getting witness statements you will get a wide range of memories-it was a white guy with a gun. It was 2 black guys with knives.  It was a mexican guy with no weapon.  Each person is sure of their memory.

What in the fork are you talking about!?

These are the kinds of specific details that writers of memoir, history, and journalism yearn for when combing through memories to tell true stories. But such work has always come with the caveat that human memory is fallible. Now, scientists have an idea of just how unreliable it actually can be. New research released this week has found that even people with phenomenal memory are susceptible to having “false memories,” suggesting that “memory distortions are basic and widespread in humans, and it may be unlikely that anyone is immune,” according to the authors of the study published inProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/11/how-many-of-your-memories-are-fake/281558/

4 minutes ago, kav said:

These are the kinds of specific details that writers of memoir, history, and journalism yearn for when combing through memories to tell true stories. But such work has always come with the caveat that human memory is fallible. Now, scientists have an idea of just how unreliable it actually can be. New research released this week has found that even people with phenomenal memory are susceptible to having “false memories,” suggesting that “memory distortions are basic and widespread in humans, and it may be unlikely that anyone is immune,” according to the authors of the study published inProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/11/how-many-of-your-memories-are-fake/281558/

Fake news.

My memory is infallible.

However, I've never admitted to being a human...

Edited by TwoPiece
Lack of humanity.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Fake news.

My memory is infallible.

:pullhair:

-even if you video things that wont help-you'll start misremembering the video shortly after!!!

Just now, TwoPiece said:

I don't want to remember any of this conversation. Ever.

dont worry it will shortly fade and you will remember this as a thread discussing romance comics.

43 minutes ago, kav said:

I think James is a good guy and I'm not trying to go after him but if there was a photo of action #1, it would have surfaced long ago.  I myself also have an excellent memory-I can remember phone numbers and names of people I met once, 30 years ago.  However, excellent memory is different from the brains re-creating memories, which is a known scientific fact.  Unless you kept diaries from 40 years back, the reality of this is not apparent.

It wasn't 40 years ago. :gossip:

36 minutes ago, cortown71 said:

Maybe its medella effect.you did see them in the past but now they've been CERN removed in the current universe.

In this time-line, we refer to it as the Mandela Effect. Unwisely, you've just inadvertently revealed yourself to be a part of the pre-Cern multiverse!

Now you're on double secret probation.

Edited by James J Johnson

29 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't want to remember any of this conversation. Ever.

That's impossible. Without your fetching that dictionary, we never technically had, what can be considered by most, a conversation. Pro and con. All we've discussed are the cons. That's only half of a conversation at bestt.

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It wasn't 40 years ago. :gossip:

I was alluding to the fact that I have diaries that go back 40 years to present.  False memories all the way.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Some can be far more sure of their memory than others.  

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Some can be far more sure of their memory than others.  

There is no way to be sure, unless you can pull up verifiable confirmation.  In this case, a pic of action #1.

1 minute ago, kav said:

There is no way to be sure, unless you can pull up verifiable confirmation.  In this case, a pic of action #1.

Not going to invest God only knows how many hours I spent that night searching and then clarifying again. It was something to do that was interesting at the time. Don't even know if those photos are still online! And for what? To prove I'm not a liar? Or prove that I can remember past 10 minutes ago? Such a fuss about something of such little importance? No thank you. If the upshot is that I am what the Joker and the duck say I am, that I'm a liar and my brain is atrophied, then so be it. I'm not wasting time and eyesight on searching. The thread has become a trial. Making my memory and integrity the focus instead of some random knuckle head's outlandishly priced ebay item wasn't the plan. That agenda was established with the arrival of the duck. Now, focus on anything other than how faulty a memory I have or how much of a liar I am has replaced the main topic. Thanks, but no thanks.

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Not going to invest God only knows how many hours I spent that night searching and then clarifying again. It was something to do that was interesting at the time. Don't even know if those photos are still online! And for what? To prove I'm not a liar? Or prove that I can remember past 10 minutes ago? Such a fuss about something of such little importance? No thank you. If the upshot is that I am what the Joker and the duck say I am, that I'm a liar and my brain is atrophied, then so be it. I'm not wasting time and eyesight on searching. The thread has become a trial. Making my memory and integrity the focus instead of some random knuckle head's outlandishly priced ebay item wasn't the plan. That agenda was established with the arrival of the duck. Now, focus on anything other than how faulty a memory I have or how much of a liar I am has replaced the main topic. Thanks, but no thanks.

There's nothing wrong with having false memories-it appears to be a natural and ordinary function of the brain.  You have to understand the board is expert at rooting stuff out-we've seen their detective skills time and again.  Yet despite trying for years, no one has ever come up with that pic.  So on the one hand we have a possible false memory-which is normal and natural, or the board despite trying for years, unable to come up with such a pic that does exist.  Occam's razor comes into play here.  Sorry if I ticked you off that wasnt my intent.