• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ebay farce of the day. Photo of Detective 27s on a shelf... $5000.00

230 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, kav said:

There's nothing wrong with having false memories-it appears to be a natural and ordinary function of the brain.  You have to understand the board is expert at rooting stuff out-we've seen their detective skills time and again.  Yet despite trying for years, no one has ever come up with that pic.  So on the one hand we have a possible false memory-which is normal and natural, or the board despite trying for years, unable to come up with such a pic that does exist.  Occam's razor comes into play here.  Sorry if I ticked you off that wasnt my intent.

You didn't tick me off, Kav, I like and respect you. I like everyone I've conversed with that posts here. Even the duck. No offense was taken. At the time, if I had any idea that such a find was so rare an event, I would have saved the images. Keep in mind that the images of the books I most certainly did see were not apparent until clarified. Altered for clarity. They had to be adjusted to identify. Perhaps nobody ever made that similar effort. I'm typically tenacious.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

You didn't tick me off, Kav, I like and respect you. I like everyone I've conversed with that posts here. Even the duck. No offense was taken. At the time, if I had any idea that such a find was so rare an event, I would have saved the images. Keep in mind that the images of the books I most certainly did see were not apparent until clarified. Altered for clarity. They had to be adjusted to identify. Perhaps nobody ever made that similar effort. I'm typically tenacious.

What you can do is describe pic as best you remember-a kid's collection?  A newstand?  On rack or hanging?  Newstand guy smoking a cigar,how much of cover visible,  etc.

2 hours ago, kav said:

What you can do is describe pic as best you remember-a kid's collection?  A newstand?  On rack or hanging?  Newstand guy smoking a cigar,how much of cover visible,  etc.

Action 1 was hanging from an overhead canopy or frame of a newsstand along with many other overlapping comics and magazines. Looked like either an alligator clip attached to a string clamped onto a corner of the books or may have been a wire threaded through the book, as if somebody punched a hole through for the wire/string. The top left corner that the books were clamped or strung from was mostly obscured by the overhang, the picture very grainy, so the details of what exactly held the books in place and how they were held are uncertain. Had to be taken in a major Metropolitan city and the buildings in the background suggested and the foot traffic on the sidewalks.

Det 27 pic looks like it was taken in a PX or cantina, almost like half of it a cafeteria, half of it novelties and notions. Shelving with foods, snacks, and to the right, tall vertical comic and magazine racks that looked like converted cubby shelving displaying a Detective 27, along with other comics. .

54 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Action 1 was hanging from an overhead canopy or frame of a newsstand along with many other overlapping comics and magazines. Looked like either an alligator clip attached to a string clamped onto a corner of the books or may have been a wire threaded through the book, as if somebody punched a hole through for the wire/string. The top left corner that the books were clamped or strung from was mostly obscured by the overhang, the picture very grainy, so the details of what exactly held the books in place and how they were held are uncertain. Had to be taken in a major Metropolitan city and the buildings in the background suggested and the foot traffic on the sidewalks.

Newstandphoto1.jpg

However, here's a D27 in the wild:

detective27.gif

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Newstandphoto1.jpg

However, here's a D27 in the wild:

detective27.gif

Very cool pics. I think I 've seen the one on top, or one very similar. Like that shop above except that the Action 1 was hanging from the corner, like these, but not inside the store. The racking and shelves were built onto the storefront. The Action 1 was tied or clipped to a string or wire running under the front of a canopy, the covers of the comics hanging there one in front of the other, about 80% of the cover obscured by the comic hanging to the right of it. The picture had to be tweaked over and over again, it was very grainy, not clear like this picture at all, and once clarified, only the left, partial of the A in Action and art on the left side of the Action 1 gave it away.

22 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
On 9/18/2018 at 2:52 PM, nearmint said:

Have you seen others?  Only asking because I'd love to see them.  I've only seen the often-posted photoshopped image of several Action 1s on a newsstand.

Real pics of Det 27, Action 1, Marvel 1 and many more are on the net. You just have to spend the time looking for them deep into the pages of images that load on such searches as, Newsstand comics 1938, Newsstand comic books 1939, Vintage photos of candy stores, etc., etc. One night off, years ago, I ran about 50 related keyword searches, reviewing page and page of image results. The pictures are there, just a matter of researching and putting the time in.

I have a great deal of respect for the people who have shared their finds on that old news stand pictures thread-- they are many and have found so many pictures.

Maybe you are not aware of how you are coming across in this thread but you seem to dismiss the combined knowledge and research of so many people with your comments. That offends some people and your flippant remarks as if this is some sort of witch hunt and/or personal vendetta against you misses the point of what they are saying. That they 1) appreciate the find of the ebay photo of the Tec 27 and 2) would love it if you could share these photos you claim you were able to find. I don't think we are calling you a liar. We just want to see the pictures (and thanks for trying to describe the photos at least).

If finding these key issues in pictures was so easy for you to do- even with the extra work of refining the photos to extract enough evidence of the picture to show the comic (such as the Action 1) - think of how greatly appreciated it would by all of these comic fans on these boards if you provided it.

We are a community that shares knowledge and appreciate people who contribute along those lines. That thread has been going on for TEN YEARS -- the interest is there. At least respect that much.

PS-- how in the world could anyone who found those pictures after all that effort not save the images?

Edited by 01TheDude
added PS

3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I have a great deal of respect for the people who have shared their finds on that old news stand pictures thread-- they are many and have found so many pictures.

Maybe you are not aware of how you are coming across in this thread but you seem to dismiss the combined knowledge and research of so many people with your comments. That offends some people and your flippant remarks as if this is some sort of witch hunt and/or personal vendetta against you misses the point of what they are saying. That they 1) appreciate the find of the ebay photo of the Tec 27 and 2) would love it if you could share these photos you claim you were able to find. I don't think we are calling you a liar. We just want to see the pictures (and thanks for trying to describe the photos at least).

If finding these key issues in pictures was so easy for you to do- even with the extra work of refining the photos to extract enough evidence of the picture to show the comic (such as the Action 1) - think of how greatly appreciated it would by all of these comic fans on these boards if you provided it.

We are a community that shares knowledge and appreciate people who contribute along those lines. That thread has been going on for TEN YEARS -- the interest is there. At least respect that much.

PS-- how in the world could anyone who found those pictures after all that effort not save the images?

In 2004, when I located and then manipulated the photos to be able to identify the parts of the comic covers that were showing, I wasn't part of a message board. I found the pics so I didn't think anyone else who made a concerted effort to look for them would have any more difficulty in locating them than I did. The trick was in the clarifying and then identification, not as much the finding.

I had no idea those were rarities that I stumbled upon, or anything of great value, being accessible to all on the net. I didn't even start out to look for a Det 27, or an Action 1, or any other specific comic. That night, with time on my hands, I was enjoying myself looking at 19th and first half of the 20th century images. Municipal scenes. World Fairs.  Old automobiles on the streets, just things I thought were interesting. I saw one street picture with a newsstand that had a gazillion periodicals and you could make out a lot of them. One pic was from the Sumer of 1940 and you could tell because of the issues of pulps, mags, and comics that were present. So my searches went from "19th century photos of US cities to newsstand related searches and other such searches.

I didn't think to save anything. I collect comics. Not pictures of comics, or pictures of people collecting comics.

15 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

That's impossible. Without your fetching that dictionary, we never technically had, what can be considered by most, a conversation. Pro and con. All we've discussed are the cons. That's only half of a conversation at bestt.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

10 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Very cool pics. I think I 've seen the one on top, or one very similar. Like that shop above except that the Action 1 was hanging from the corner, like these, but not inside the store. The racking and shelves were built onto the storefront. The Action 1 was tied or clipped to a string or wire running under the front of a canopy, the covers of the comics hanging there one in front of the other, about 80% of the cover obscured by the comic hanging to the right of it. The picture had to be tweaked over and over again, it was very grainy, not clear like this picture at all, and once clarified, only the left, partial of the A in Action and art on the left side of the Action 1 gave it away.

newsstandA1939.jpg

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

If you ever did fetch that dictionary and perhaps attended a remedial course in English literacy, one of the last things you'd call "incoherent" are any of my posts in this thread. Hopefully, in his infinite wisdom, the Good Lord over-compensated you in other areas. lol

15 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

If you ever did fetch that dictionary and perhaps attended a remedial course in English literacy, one of the last things you'd call "incoherent" are any of my posts in this thread. Hopefully, in his infinite wisdom, the Good Lord over-compensated you in other areas. lol

Take your condescending, "Good Lord" believing, pretentious self somewhere else.

You're not smart and you're not funny.

Go ahead and watch Billy Madison while you're at it. For someone who thinks s/he's so smart, that reference went 100 yards over your head.

Edited by TwoPiece

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Take your condescending, "Good Lord" believing, pretentious self somewhere else.

You're not smart and you're not funny.

Go ahead and watch Billy Madison while you're at it. For someone who thinks s/he's so smart, that reference went 100 yards over your head.

Although admittedly, and as you've reminded us quite often, we of this forum may not possess your level of super-intelligence, nonetheless, I'm sufficiently smart enough to know exactly how to rattle your cage using minimal effort for maximal results!  :baiting:   

Not being totally heartless, it does sadden me to think of how horrible that must be for you!  :( 

So 5 pages later, what's the consensus here on the three Det. 27s shelf pic for $5000? That it is a good deal after all and I was sadly mistaken? I'm genuinely curious. Maybe pictures of comic books as an investment vehicle has a future? Possibly as the comics become so expensive that pictures of them are all that most collectors of modest means can afford?

22 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Although admittedly, and as you've reminded us quite often, we of this forum may not possess your level of super-intelligence, nonetheless, I'm sufficiently smart enough to know exactly how to rattle your cage using minimal effort for maximal results!  :baiting:   

Not being totally heartless, it does sadden me to think of how horrible that must be for you!  :( 

My name is Maximal Decimus Resulticus, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have $5000 for this picture of old comics, in this life or the next!

38 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

So 5 pages later, what's the consensus here on the three Det. 27s shelf pic for $5000? That it is a good deal after all and I was sadly mistaken? I'm genuinely curious. Maybe pictures of comic books as an investment vehicle has a future? Possibly as the comics become so expensive that pictures of them are all that most collectors of modest means can afford?

I see it as maybe a $200 item.  More likely in the $60 range.

Edited by kav