• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ebay farce of the day. Photo of Detective 27s on a shelf... $5000.00

230 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

So 5 pages later, what's the consensus here on the three Det. 27s shelf pic for $5000? That it is a good deal after all and I was sadly mistaken? I'm genuinely curious. Maybe pictures of comic books as an investment vehicle has a future? Possibly as the comics become so expensive that pictures of them are all that most collectors of modest means can afford?

I never thought it was a good deal.  But, if I wanted to have an original D27 picture to display with my D27 in my comic room, I might consider three figures.  That's what make an offer is for.

42 minutes ago, kav said:

I see it as maybe a $200 item.  More likely in the $60 range.

That's about where I set the bar when I saw it. $50 at the most.

Strange as it seems, there is precedent in the sportscard hobby.

I once collected graded golf and soccer cards. Pretty much completed my collection in a few years, as I never bothered with the multi-thousand dollar one and two of a kind cards; just the regular issues.

But what I did see was a dealer who, like PGX, owned his own grading/slabbing machinery. What he was doing was cutting up pictures from magazines, gluing them to a stiff cardboard backing, cutting them to standard sports card sizes, and slabbing them with grades! Everything was either 9 or 10 (mint). He'd have a picture cut from an old baseball magazine of Mickey Mantle, he'd grade it 10, he'd put "Street and Smith" 1952 Mickey Mantle Rookie Year on the label and the darned thing would sell for $250. Meanwhile, it was a picture glued to a stiffened backing from a magazine! He sold hundreds of these things each week. Ty Cobb, Rogers Hornsby, Cy Young, Honus Wagner, Joe Jackson, Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, Pele, etc., etc., and as ridiculously unbelievable as this seemed to me, the seller always had his openers met!

So maybe there is a market for slabbed pictures of comics, as there seemed to have been for pictures of sports figures cut from magazine, given a backing, and placed under a label.

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

That's about where I set the bar when I saw it. $50 at the most.

Strange as it seems, there is precedent in the sportscard hobby.

I once collected graded golf and soccer cards. Pretty much completed my collection in a few years, as I never bothered with the multi-thousand dollar one and two of a kind cards; just the regular issues.

But what I did see was a dealer who, like PGX, owned his own grading/slabbing machinery. What he was doing was cutting up pictures from magazines, gluing them to a stiff cardboard backing, cutting them to standard sports card sizes, and slabbing them with grades! Everything was either 9 or 10 (mint). He'd have a picture cut from an old baseball magazine of Mickey Mantle, he'd grade it 10, he'd put "Street and Smith" 1952 Mickey Mantle Rookie Year on the label and the darned thing would sell for $250. Meanwhile, it was a picture glued to a stiffened backing from a magazine! He sold hundreds of these things each week. Ty Cobb, Rogers Hornsby, Cy Young, Honus Wagner, Joe Jackson, Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, Pele, etc., etc., and as ridiculously unbelievable as this seemed to me, the seller always had his openers met!

So maybe there is a market for slabbed pictures of comics, as there seemed to have been for pictures of sports figures cut from magazine, given a backing, and placed under a label.

I'm cutting up my comics immediately.

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I've been seeing the same TTA 35, slabbed page by individual page, for sale on ebay for the past 2 years! No takers.

thought he had a gold mine turned out was a dirt mine.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

thought he had a gold mine turned out was a dirt mine.

I can understand slabbing pages for Captain America 1, More Fun 52, AF 15, FF 1, the mega keys where even owning a coverless copy is well beyond $$$ reach. But TTA 35? You can buy a complete low grade for about the same as he wants for each slabbed page.

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I can understand slabbing pages for Captain America 1, More Fun 52, AF 15, FF 1, the mega keys where even owning a coverless copy is well beyond $$$ reach. But TTA 35? You can buy a complete low grade for about the same as he wants for each slabbed page.

Paid stan big bux then paid for slabbin.  He'll lern.  The hard way.

30 minutes ago, kav said:

Paid stan big bux then paid for slabbin.  He'll lern.  The hard way.

Wasn't there some fledgling entrepreneur who was looking for start up capital to start a company that bought key issues, cut them into tiny, confetti-sized bits and glued each piece to a card the size of an iPhone for about $1000 per card? Did he ever get traction for that hare-brained, half-baked scheme?

Edited by James J Johnson

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Wasn't there some fledgling entrepreneur who was looking for start up capital to start a company that bought key issues, cut them into tiny, confetti-sized bits and glued each piece to a card the size of an iPhone for about $1000 per card? Did he ever get traction for that hare-brained, half-baked scheme?

Yep-fragments from history.  I posted on his facebook page how do people know a tiny fragment is actually from action #1 etc and got no response.  He just deleted the post.  It got no traction whatsoever.  

https://www.facebook.com/fragmentsfromhistory/

Edited by kav

11 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Thank our lucky star!

star.gif

Here I'll sell you a fragment of Action #1-trust me it's really from Action #1-I know it's just a tiny scrap of paper with a small dot of ink on it and there's absolutely no way to verify but trust me-it's from Action #1.  Dang I wonder why his idea flopped.

13 minutes ago, kav said:

Here I'll sell you a fragment of Action #1-trust me it's really from Action #1-I know it's just a tiny scrap of paper with a small dot of ink on it and there's absolutely no way to verify but trust me-it's from Action #1.  Dang I wonder why his idea flopped.

Sounds a lot like my copy of Action 1. Admittedly a bit of a beater copy, I haven’t had it slabbed because I’m wary of how hard CGC would ding me for it’s various defects: coverless; centerfold missing; all other pages missing (affects story). Oh and the staples were replaced.

14 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Although admittedly, and as you've reminded us quite often, we of this forum may not possess your level of super-intelligence, nonetheless, I'm sufficiently smart enough to know exactly how to rattle your cage using minimal effort for maximal results!  :baiting:   

Not being totally heartless, it does sadden me to think of how horrible that must be for you!  :( 

The only sad thing here is that you think you can "rattle someone's cage" by attempting to infer emotionless text via a chat board. You're an annoyance, like a fly, with seemingly equivalent intelligence to an insect.

4 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

The only sad thing here is that you think you can "rattle someone's cage" by attempting to infer emotionless text via a chat board. You're an annoyance, like a fly, with seemingly equivalent intelligence to an insect.

Fie! You utter a mountain of jest!

You've conducted IQ tests on insects? Or are you referring to first hand, personal experience? lol

Edited by James J Johnson

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, sfcityduck said:

Yeah, never seen a period photo of an Action 1.  Only photoshops.

Have seen a period photo of a MC1 being read by a kid in a group shot.

Can't recall with regard to D27.

close as I got on Action 1

newsstand-Action-9-Tec-24-Adventure.jpg