• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2021 at 1:16 PM, lou_fine said:

And I guess that's why we had David Carradine playing the lead role in Kung Fu back in the 70's, instead of Bruce Lee who had to go back to Hong Kong to fine fame and stardom in the movies before his untimely death. :(

I watched a documentary that talked about this and it sucked to hear. Enter the dragon is still one of my favorite movie’s. I wish marvel could have kind of used that plot btw. Made Shang chi an agent of shield infiltrating a human trafficking ring where no guns were allowed and the bad guy being mandarin who uses ten rings of power. I liked simu but I wanted a real martial artist who could act like Joe taslim or Lewis tan. Still a pretty good movie but the third act of the movie was kinda meh. 

On 9/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, TupennyConan said:

Without Kingsley & Awkwafina this movie would have been unbearable. It collapsed into catastrophe with the all CGI finale. I'm happy audiences like it. Why they like it eludes my understanding.  

WITH those two it's unbearable.  Honestly, one of the absolutely least enjoyable movies I've seen in a long time.  And I'm a Marvel guy.  Ugh.

Edited by davidpg

On 9/6/2021 at 8:24 AM, paperheart said:

Disney's conservative $83MM estimate blown out of the water as per Deadline:

As we told you yesterday, Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings is easily headed to $90M+ over four-days. This comes after an awesome Sunday hold, -2% from Saturday, with $22.7M bringing the pic’s 3-day to $75.5M, and 4-day to a massive record breaking of $90M for the Labor Day stretch per Disney. Industry estimates see it between $91M-$92M. Today is expected to come in around $16.2M per industry estimates, while Disney is figuring $14.5M. Either way you slice it, it’s a hit.

Yes, but as comic book collectors, the real burning question that we have here is whether the movie is good enough to prevent the prices on MOKF 15 and the likes from dropping like a boat anchor as it hits the surface of the water?  hm

Based upon recent history, I would have to say a resounding NO since I can't remember a single Marvel movie where the prices for its associated books have actually been able to hold, let alone go up after the release of its movie.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, but as comic book collectors, the real burning question that we have here is whether the movie is good enough to prevent the prices on MOKF 15 and the likes from dropping like a boat anchor as it hits the surface of the water?  hm

Based upon recent history, I would have to say a resounding NO since I can't remember a single Marvel movie where the prices for its associated books have actually been able to hold, let alone go up after the release of its movie.  :(

my question is: can i get back the MOKF 15 I finally sold after months of trying at 60% of guide; old enough to remember a time when even Greggy wouldn't :takeit:

On 9/6/2021 at 8:43 PM, lou_fine said:

TTA 13

On 9/6/2021 at 7:59 PM, paperheart said:

my question is: can i get back the MOKF 15 I finally sold after months of trying at 60% of guide; old enough to remember a time when even Greggy wouldn't :takeit:

Yeah, those were definitely the days back then when I picked up my MOKF 15 and I used to dream that I would find some collector fool one day who would be willing to pay me full guide for my books.  :wishluck:

Fast forward to the past few years and now I dream that I would find some fool dealer who would be willing to sell me some vintage quality GA books at full condition guide valuations.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/6/2021 at 10:39 PM, lou_fine said:

Not a very good batting percentage when it's only 1 out of how many hundreds of movie and TV related books that's been hyped all the way up to the nether regions of your wazoo.  lol

You asked for an example…

On 9/6/2021 at 9:03 AM, TupennyConan said:

WandaVision was excellent. Loki was quite good. What if? so-so.  

WandaVision was indeed great. After me and the wife finish The Mandolorian we'll be watching Loki. (thumbsu

As far as Shang Chi.. I'll wait until it's streaming for "free".

Edited by Pitboss
Added on topic comment.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:43 PM, lou_fine said:

Didn't first Black Panther hold? And First Iron Man held well too from what I remember.

Anyways, when watching this film, I wasn't thinking of MOKF 15 but instead of MOKF 115 because that was the book that went from absolutely nothing to actually being sought after. And man watching that movie, they play the death dealer more as a joke after building him quite a bit. Well not "more as a joke", his end does service as a joke in the film. I wonder what will happen to that book now.

Edited by William-James88

On 9/7/2021 at 10:27 AM, William-James88 said:

Didn't first Black Panther hold? And First Iron Man held well too from what I remember.

Not sure about Iron Man since that was too long ago, but if I remember correctly, didn't the prices for CGC 9.8 graded copies of FF 52 dropped back down by about $30K from the mid-$80K's and $90K mark which they hit back around 2016 which was a couple of years prior to its actual release date?  hm

Not sure where a copy would finish up at now with the craziness that we are seeing in the current marketplace, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it hit 6-figures now, based more upon the crazed market for comic books as opposed to the direct impact from a movie to this point in time.  (thumbsu

On 9/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, lou_fine said:

On 9/6/2021 at 7:59 PM, paperheart said:

Any guesses as to whether the next CGC 9.8 graded of SME 15 will surpass or drop below this record $18K mark which a lucky consignor was able to fetch on their copy in the Heritage Auction last night:  :whatthe:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/special-marvel-edition-15-master-of-kung-fu-marvel-1973-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122136-11746.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F6%2F4%2F1%2F24641923%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Wonder if it would have graded higher without that rather obtrusive looking grease pencilled in arrival date on the cover?  :p