• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2021 at 6:27 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:
On 9/30/2021 at 3:41 PM, paperheart said:

crosses $200MM US today & accounts for 55% of total US BO in Sept

image.thumb.png.0bb2a08493cdcafc164b371dede4aeab.png

Is that good?  Using the pre-pandemic point of reference isn't a fair gauge of success so I honestly don't know.  I'm assuming it won't hit a billion:D.

***I thought it was a great movie

I believe you would be correct here, unless the powers that be in China decide to have a change of heart and let the movie into their country, which I would highly doubt with the way that current relations between the U.S. and China are going right now.  :censored:

Especially since China is one of the largest markets in the world, as seen by Avengers Endgame where I believe it hit well over $600M in China alone.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/5/2021 at 10:59 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't think I've ever really tried listing my top 10 MCU flicks as I love most of them...

1. Avengers Endgame
  2. Captain Marvel
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  4. Black Panther
  5. Thor Ragnarok
  6. Avengers Infinity War
  7. Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  8. Thor
  9. Ant-Man
  10. Captain America Winter Soldier

It's a bit off-the-cuff but looks legit to me. And yes, I prefer the MCU's later films to the early ones. I'm sure Eternals will bump somebody off this list, probably Winter Soldier.

Well, we share five movies as favorites on the top ten. I do have to note that my number one pick is your number ten. Also, I have not seen Shang-Chi yet so thats a wild card.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

Finally saw this film last night.

For me, an okay experience. But it felt like it contained so much of the influences of Chinese fantasy cinema (e.g. The Forbidden Kingdom) and less about the comic book stories I remember and appreciate. And I hate to compare certain scenes to it, but also Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with the maze scenes (Michelle Yeoh forced that link too).

Simu Liu though I like. Tony Leung Chiu-wa ate up any scene he was in. And even Awkwafina worked for me in certain scenes.

But this further confirms Phase Four has me feeling more disconnected than any other phase previously. Marvel Studios is trying to appease too many audience masters. My Top 10 still remains intact.

• Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. I
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Iron Man (2008)
  • Avengers (2012)
  • Thor (2011)
  • Black Panther
  • Doctor Strange
  • Ant-Man (2015)
  • Ant-Man & The Wasp

And although Captain America: Civil War was not Top 10 for me, still very much appreciate it brought us Spider-Man and Black Panther. Unfortunately, Shang-Chi didn't make my list.

Good top ten MCU list. We share quite a few including the top spot. In the MCU. I’m interested to see that same list with non-MCU movies based on Marvel added in.

I’m trying to work mine now by adding in Days of Future Past, Spider-Man 2, Logan, Blade and I’m sure I’m missing a couple. I’ll leave off Kingsman. 

On 10/10/2021 at 10:19 PM, Wolverinex said:

Had a better opening weekend than Bond. Impressive

Unfortunately it is so hard to tell how many are new general audience members when you have the MCU fanaticism going on that has become the Marvel Studios fanbase. That's why these images get tossed around so much out there.

Endgame021x.PNG.b669f4dc00a9d52633a5fee912980213.PNG

Captain_Marvel140.jpg.9a37cad63c1c7c368ea6bf76bd183bea.jpg

Spiderman_NWH108.jpg.7c2660dad87572f8c3f631750482dc2b.jpg

Infinity_War42.thumb.jpg.d9cd2026909ced5d68187fb4d59d7b75.jpg

I enjoy a well-told MCU movie like anyone else would. THIS is not the way, and skews the results to encourage much more behavior like this.

Edited by Bosco685

On 10/11/2021 at 1:59 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sure, but not Top 10 IMO. Logan is the only Fox entry for consideration on my list. Oh, it definitely makes it, too.

Logan definitely is something super-special.

It was funny reading 'The Regulars' posting what trash that film was going to be. Then the trailers started coming out and finally the film and all of a sudden their posts just - disappeared.

:whatthe: (:

On 10/11/2021 at 2:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

Logan definitely is something super-special.

It was funny reading 'The Regulars' posting what trash that film was going to be. Then the trailers started coming out and finally the film and all of a sudden their posts just - disappeared.

:whatthe: (:

X-Men is the first comic book movie that I recall seeing in theaters. Logan was something special. It may not have been at the level of Infinity War, but it wrapped up the Fox X-Men franchise beautifully if you ignore that :censored:ing abomination Dark Phoenix.

On 10/11/2021 at 5:41 PM, Larryw7 said:

I like Raimi's Spider-Man 2 more than most of the MCU movies.

As well you should.  It's the second-best superhero film ever made.

Finally saw the film today after weeks of schedule switching due to everyone who wanted to go being busy.  I had no idea how much fantasy this movie would be...wow, the whole last third was all magic.  Didn't expect that from a movie based upon a comic character inspired by Bruce Lee.  Wanted more martial arts action, got Dr. Strange light.  It was fine, kept me entertained.  Loved that train fight scene, but I had already seen the best parts of it in the trailers.  Most of the other fight scenes were either too darkly-lit, close-in to enjoy much or had too much magic involved to appreciate the martial arts skill like that shown by Simu in the train scene.

I need to bump the top superheroes of all time thread and update my list, but I doubt this film makes the top 25.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 10/24/2021 at 1:58 PM, fantastic_four said:

As well you should.  It's the second-best superhero film ever made.

Finally saw the film today after weeks of schedule switching due to everyone who wanted to go being busy.  I had no idea how much fantasy this movie would be...wow, the whole last third was all magic.  Didn't expect that from a movie based upon a comic character inspired by Bruce Lee.  Wanted more martial arts action, got Dr. Strange light.  It was fine, kept me entertained.  Loved that train fight scene, but I had already seen the best parts of it in the trailers.  Most of the other fight scenes were either too darkly-lit, close-in to enjoy much or had too much magic involved to appreciate the martial arts skill like that shown by Simu in the train scene.

I need to bump the top superheroes of all time thread and update my list, but I doubt this film makes the top 25.

As a young comic collector - if you'd told me that there could even be a Top 25 list of comic movies to watch, I would not have believed you!

On 10/24/2021 at 6:03 PM, HighVoltage said:

As a young comic collector - if you'd told me that there could even be a Top 25 list of comic movies to watch, I would not have believed you!

Yep, it's really a Golden Age of superhero cinema.  Even 20 years ago this film probably would have crushed the top ten, but the volume of quality films over the last two decades is overwhelming.  :ohnoez:

Though the fantasy elements turned me off that's a highly personal reaction based upon a bias for better fighting in film.  I'm probably going to have to watch this another time or two to get an objective feel for its quality.

But I still stand by that bias from a subjective perspective.  How was the fighting cinematography anything less than incredible in a Shang-Chi movie?!?!  ???  The fighting scenes don't come CLOSE to any from the Matrix, and that's a surprise.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/15/2021 at 6:59 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Add a 56% rotten score at Rotten Tomatoes, and Man of Steel was considered a minor disappointment. 

Of course, a few years later, Batman v Superman says "hold my beer..." 

Funny how Rotten Tomatoes matters when someone wants to be a negative ninny.

How odd. "But Joker did..."

original.gif.2f824c43b47fd1ceeacdf034a77eaf83.gif

On 10/29/2021 at 5:58 AM, Bosco685 said:

Funny how Rotten Tomatoes matters when someone wants to be a negative ninny.

How odd. "But Joker did..."

original.gif.2f824c43b47fd1ceeacdf034a77eaf83.gif

As much as I like taking pot shots at DC’s failed attempt at a viable crossover movie universe, my earlier post you referenced was still being objective as far as facts go and the influence that RT scores have on a movie’s perceived success and sometimes its success at the box office. Man of Steel’s $660 million WW box office was seen as a minor disappointment in the wake of the billion dollar takes of the two previous Dark Knight films, the Avengers, and Iron Man 3. That coupled with its 56% RT score and mixed word of mouth made MOS a minor disappointment both critically and financially. I’m not just being negative, that’s a fact, and it again speaks to the influence that RT scores can have on a movie’s perceived success, whether that RT number is an accurate picture or not.