• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2021 at 5:03 AM, Bosco685 said:

"As I was saying Black Widow was the soft warm-up for Shang-Chi to save theaters!"

Oof. I don't see how there can be any more interest in that than BW. As much as I don't give a lick for the prequel, she's a known commodity within the MCU.

Both my wife and daughter thought the recent preview looked great.  I'm still in the meh stage with this one but it does seem to be growing on me the more I see the trailer.

I'm stocked for this movie and I really hope it's a more factual martial arts movie as opposed to the wire work stuff like crouching tiger hidden dragon. I always thought of shang chi as a Bruce lee type. Loved late 80s early 90s martial arts movies. I guess that's why I hated iron fist. The dude they picked was a total p***y. I always thought of Danny rand like jcvd or somewhere along the lines of ken from street fighter.

On 8/9/2021 at 1:02 AM, Larryw7 said:

Except for Spider-Man, I really think Disney chose poorly for the beginning of their new phase.

xolm4kGY=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Did they, though?

In a What If? universe, Black Widow would have kicked off Phase Four to a theater exclusive run shortly after Endgame and would have made much better box office numbers than the actual, obviously. Then Disney+ shows would have kicked in starting with FWS.

Instead, we got a global pandemic giving the world a one year break from any new MCU content. Then Marvel kicked off Phase Four with WandaVision, FWS, and Loki which have all have all been qualified verifiable mega-hits for Disney+. Black Widow, box office wise, has simply fallen victim to the same issues WW84 and Suicide Squad have, day and date streaming during a pandemic that just won't quit. Given that, kicking off Phase Four with those three Disney+ shows was a fine way to begin Phase Four in this new reality.

Back to the the What If? scenario, storywise, Black Widow works fine as an epilogue to Endgame/Phase Three and a prologue to Phase Four (kinda like Far From Home). BW gave Natasha a proper send-off and introduced the first new MCU theatrical Marvel super-hero, Yelena Belova, as Natasha's replacement.

I think Disney's strategy was sound, either way. Sure, Black Widow could have been a better movie, but last spring seemed like a proper time to finally release her solo movie on the heels of Natasha's ultimate sacrifice in Endgame. Releasing Black Widow this summer was probably the best case scenario for the movie's release sans the legal mess with ScarJo.

In 2019, nobody considered a global pandemic was going to turn human civilization on its head.