• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

Disney Hints at Regret: Too Late to Change ‘Shang-Chi’ Theatrical-Only Release Plan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” was announced months ago as Disney’s first MCU title of the pandemic era to get a theatrical-only release — but that’s not the decision the studio would make today.

On Disney’s August 12 Q2 earnings call, CEO Bob Chapek hinted that releasing “Shang-Chi” only in theaters is not a move the studio would make now, citing the “unfortunate” COVID resurgence that the studio didn’t see coming.

The COVID delta variant surge means that a delay for “Shang-Chi” is not possible, the studio confirmed. Chapek cited the pandemic as the main reason the studio created simultaneous release windows for their theatrical features in 2021.

“On Shang-Chi we actually think it will be an interesting experiment for us,” says Chapek because it will be the first Disney title to have a 45-day window before arriving on streaming. “That title was planned on being [released] in a healthier theatrical environment,” he said.

Disney touted the shared-platform successes of “Black Widow” and “Jungle Cruise,” adding that Disney+ now boasts 174 million subscribers. Revenues hit $17 billion, up from $11.8 billion in the year-ago quarter, while Disney posted a profit of $995 million.

On 8/12/2021 at 7:44 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Disney Hints at Regret: Too Late to Change ‘Shang-Chi’ Theatrical-Only Release Plan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” was announced months ago as Disney’s first MCU title of the pandemic era to get a theatrical-only release — but that’s not the decision the studio would make today.

On Disney’s August 12 Q2 earnings call, CEO Bob Chapek hinted that releasing “Shang-Chi” only in theaters is not a move the studio would make now, citing the “unfortunate” COVID resurgence that the studio didn’t see coming.

The COVID delta variant surge means that a delay for “Shang-Chi” is not possible, the studio confirmed. Chapek cited the pandemic as the main reason the studio created simultaneous release windows for their theatrical features in 2021.

“On Shang-Chi we actually think it will be an interesting experiment for us,” says Chapek because it will be the first Disney title to have a 45-day window before arriving on streaming. “That title was planned on being [released] in a healthier theatrical environment,” he said.

Disney touted the shared-platform successes of “Black Widow” and “Jungle Cruise,” adding that Disney+ now boasts 174 million subscribers. Revenues hit $17 billion, up from $11.8 billion in the year-ago quarter, while Disney posted a profit of $995 million.

when does the real summer movie season now begin? give the wheel a spin

Months of the Year - Random wheel

Edited by paperheart

On 8/13/2021 at 12:42 PM, drotto said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-marvel-studios-shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-the-ten-rings/

Predicting $35 million to $55 million opening weekend, with $100 to $165 total domestic. Kinda rough.  That will make it the lowest growing MCU film.

until the Eternals?

On 8/13/2021 at 2:42 PM, drotto said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-marvel-studios-shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-the-ten-rings/

Predicting $35 million to $55 million opening weekend, with $100 to $165 total domestic. Kinda rough.  That will make it the lowest growing MCU film.

Apples and oranges.  We need to find a better way to measure $$$ before pandemic and current pandemic.

Also we're now in a streaming world.  Like comparing drive-ins to movie theatres.

***How does it compare to movies released since March 2020 (when the world said oh @#$%....covid)

On 8/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Apples and oranges.  We need to find a better way to measure $$$ before pandemic and current pandemic.

Also we're now in a streaming world.  Like comparing drive-ins to movie theatres.

***How does it compare to movies released since March 2020 (when the world said oh @#$%....covid)

Yes, it may be a new reality.  One that makes spending $175 million or more on one film no longer economically viable. One that brings into question how the MCU ( or really any studio) proceeds moving forward. These films may no longer be the cash cow they once were.

Edited by drotto

On 8/14/2021 at 1:42 PM, media_junkie said:

This new Disney CEO certainly isn't as polished as Iger was.

He is basically admitting that Disney expects Shang-Chi to flop at this point and they are preparing the investors for the loss. I am not sure given the ScarJo situation if they are afraid to alter their strategy, they truly can't based on the contracts,  or they see this a a lost cause so they are just throwing it out there.

Edited by drotto

On 8/14/2021 at 12:12 PM, drotto said:

He is basically admitting that Disney expects Shang-Chi to flop at this point and they are preparing the investors for the loss. I am not sure give the ScarJo situation if they are afraid to alter their strategy, they truly can't based on the contracts,  or they see this a a lost cause so they are just throwing it out there.

are they locked in to 45 day window with Eternals? if not, and Delta is still winning, let's see what they do with that one

On 8/14/2021 at 5:26 PM, paperheart said:

are they locked in to 45 day window with Eternals? if not, and Delta is still winning, let's see what they do with that one

It really looks like it should be direct to video/streaming. I think a third underperforming Marvel film at the boxoffice would be disastrous.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:20 PM, Larryw7 said:

It really looks like it should be direct to video/streaming. I think a third underperforming Marvel film at the boxoffice would be disastrous.

It's coming. COVID and Marvel fatigue have made a perfect storm.

If you are speculating on comics, now is the time to sell.

On 8/14/2021 at 6:24 PM, D84 said:

It's coming. COVID and Marvel fatigue have made a perfect storm.

If you are speculating on comics, now is the time to sell.

Maybe not here yet.  I think the next Spider-Man and Doctor Strang will do fine. The next big numbers may take a few more years and be when the new Fantastic Four or new X-Men finally hit. I do not see a point where there is no super hero material, but as with many properties, the best stuff may be heading for streaming series not one off movies.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:31 PM, drotto said:

Maybe not here yet.  I think the next Spider-Man and Doctor Strang will do fine. The next big numbers may take a few more years and be when the new Fantastic Four or new X-Men finally hit. I do not see a point where there is no super hero material, but as with many properties, the best stuff may be heading for streaming series not one off movies.

3 films in a row don't turn a profit, budgets will be slashed, causing a dip in quality, which causes lower box office.

And this is how we circle the drain.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, Larryw7 said:

I do think Spidey will do better than the other movies. With all of the stuff packed in Dr. Strange, it will probably do well.

My non-comic collector friends have been asking when will there be movies that don't have super heroes again.

The fatigue is very real. We may not want to believe it, but the best days of the comic movie are behind us.

You may be right. But I think movies with characters like Spidey, Batman and the Joker will always perform well (whatever that means in the post Covid era).

Edited by Larryw7