• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

well, to be fair, it's probably the same reason 90% of movies are made but there's gold in them thar hills

image.png.5a5d36a8eaaef6d4f0add4160c2aeebb.png

I think most people get it when it comes to studios being in business for the sake of making a return on investment. It would be unfair to dismiss the reality of the situation.

But if you appease a region by taking actions like with Mulan giving credit to a region recognized for running prison camps to make a given country joy, you run the risk of damaging your brand in the larger world. Especially when they recognize how much a corporation sacrificed human decency for the sake of revenue.

Money over appreciate for life can't be the tradeoff. Nor can it be selling off your brand by doing whatever one region desires if it impacts other regions and their entertainment experience.

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

well, to be fair, it's probably the same reason 90% of movies are made but there's gold in them thar hills

image.png.5a5d36a8eaaef6d4f0add4160c2aeebb.png

well yes this is the quick and simple answer.

The other answer was this was there weren't that many options prior to the Fox deal. Hence we have "the eternals" also

This is TV show material if you ask me. 

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

According to some of the comments, however, it looks like these users were upset that it was something of a Chinese film being made by “westerners.”

Was that Taiwanese contributors commenting on China?

And while I will definitely see this film at some point, I completely understand and agree with their complaint.

8 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

well yes this is the quick and simple answer.

The other answer was this was there weren't that many options prior to the Fox deal. Hence we have "the eternals" also

This is TV show material if you ask me. 

had no interest in Eternals until Chloe Zhao emerged as an incredible director; now, i'm intrigued at least

I'm more excited about what Zhao does with 'Eternals' than any other Marvel project right now.  I've enjoyed the TV shows for the most part, but this movie has a chance to be special IMO.  And I have zero connection to the Eternals from the comics...just a gut feeling.  It's also heartening that people of such talent are signing on for comic-book projects.

There's a moment in the trailer where Shang-Chi and Awkwafina's character are singing karaoke. 

I was hoping it would be a Fleetwood Mac song (Easter egg) for all us old-school fans.

I googled the lyrics on the screen behind them, and it seems like they're probably singing "A Whole New World," from Aladdin. 

So...yay, synergy?

I'll still watch it. Hopefully in the theater. 

Actor Simu Liu describes Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings as a film about identity. The upcoming superhero movie follows the protagonist Shang-Chi, an expert martial artist trained since childhood to become an assassin. His father, Wenwu, spends years instructing his son as a member of the Ten Rings organization. As an adult, Shang-Chi fakes his own death in order to escape the faction and attempts to make a new life for himself in San Francisco. Characters played by Awkwafina, Tony Leung, Michelle Yeoh, Fala Chen, Meng’er Zhang, Florian Munteanu, and Ronny Chieng round out the cast.

While speaking to Men’s Health, Liu referred back to director Destin Daniel Cretton, who specifically focused on creating a rich and thoughtful story centered on identity. Liu articulated the deeper meaning behind his role as Shang-Chi and its ties to the Asian American experience:

“Kung fu for kung fu’s sake, as an aesthetic or a prop, that’s where it starts to get tropey and dangerous…[But] there’s a reason why when Hong Kong action was introduced to Western audiences, people went bananas for it. Kung fu is, objectively, really cool.”

In the interview, Liu described his own struggles growing up in Canada and feeling like an outsider. He spent much of his childhood consuming media that spotlighted characters with blond hair and blue eyes, including Marvel characters, and found himself wishing he could look like them. Liu explained, “I am that person that’s always felt like he wasn’t enough. And those [experiences] are more core to Shang-Chi’s character than his ability to punch people.” As he grew older, he pushed for more nuanced Asian representation in Hollywood.

Just me but I think the Yellow Claw would have been a better fit for Shang Chi's father.Heck,why didn't Disney get the rights to Fu Manchu?

Also would like to see Shang Chi with long hair and in his red clothes.

That's just me and I'll still watch the movie & love/hate it all at the same time.My 14 year old self would have flipped over these Marvel movies so it's all good.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Kung fu for kung fu’s sake, as an aesthetic or a prop, that’s where it starts to get tropey and dangerous…[But] there’s a reason why when Hong Kong action was introduced to Western audiences, people went bananas for it. Kung fu is, objectively, really cool.” 

This is true.

This will suffice while I wait on the No Way Home trailer:applause:.

I don't know how I feel about the movie yet since it seems like they're using a very safe/standard/old/recycled recipe for the movie storyline.  I could be wrong since my opinion is only based on a trailer.  Will still definitely see it.

***Just wish they stop showing Awkafina with the one liner

The Rings look cool and somehow Fing Fang Foom is in the film….

I’m excited now.

I guess I should have bought ST89 when I had the chance!

Trailer ok. Still not greatly excited though. 

Want to see and hear more from the protagonist, felt like I know more about the father from the trailer. 

Be good to see FFF in there. 

Marvel has been pretty good at keeping their cards close to their chest when it comes to trailers …

so if they’re WILLING to just randomly drop the Abomination vs Wong( :whatthe: )into the last 10 seconds of this trailer it gets me pretty excited about what else might be in this movie! 

4 hours ago, fmaz said:

Marvel has been pretty good at keeping their cards close to their chest when it comes to trailers …

so if they’re WILLING to just randomly drop the Abomination vs Wong( :whatthe: )into the last 10 seconds of this trailer it gets me pretty excited about what else might be in this movie! 

Same here.  That was a surprise