• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 5:48 PM, jimjum12 said:

I just live my life and don't follow any culture. I treat people on a case-by-case basis. As for ST 89 I was just clarifying what the theme of it was. I doubt the leadership in China has studied Marvel beyond the cursory.... the problem is likely as simple as them not wanting Western interpretations of Good and Evil to gain footing or notoreity .... they probably allowed Endgame because it explores genocide as a necessary evil. Trust me, there IS a reason for the censorship. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Did you not read the article I clearly provided you? :foryou:

When you have a character that has been around since 1961 you would hope the full breadth and depth of its lore comes into play versus fixating on one or two appearances. 

:foryou:

On 11/15/2021 at 6:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

Did you not read the article I clearly provided you? :foryou:

When you have a character that has been around since 1961 you would hope the full breadth and depth of its lore comes into play versus fixating on one or two appearances. 

I love what you do in this Forum... it wouldn't be what it is without you. :foryou:

I do read articles, but generally, I do my own thinking.... that's how I was able to determine, for example, that Wolverine first appeared in Hulk 180. As for China, I just don't know about them. Feudal Europe and England were that way to a degree, and we all know how that played out. I'm no expert, and I imagine it shows :bigsmile: GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

On 11/15/2021 at 6:15 PM, jimjum12 said:

I love what you do in this Forum... it wouldn't be what it is without you. :foryou:

I do read articles, but generally, I do my own thinking.... that's how I was able to determine, for example, that Wolverine first appeared in Hulk 180. As for China, I just don't know about them. Feudal Europe and England were that way to a degree, and we all know how that played out. I'm no expert, and I imagine it shows :bigsmile: GOD BLESS...

:2135781879_wavingwhiteflagemoji:

I just don't think it is helpful when someone starts throwing around cancelling characters and creators out of ignorance. Then tries to back it up with quotes from wiki as their research source. Yet they will declare others have motives of racism and other ugly characterizations.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:41 PM, Bosco685 said:

:2135781879_wavingwhiteflagemoji:

I just don't think it is helpful when someone starts throwing around cancelling characters and creators out of ignorance. Then tries to back it up with quotes from wiki as their research source. Yet they will declare others have motives of racism and other ugly characterizations.

... you're first class in my book.... I only wanted to clarify the theme of ST 89....it's not even remotely racist. If one group is different from another, portraying them as so is NOT racist, that's just being real ... it's when we start assigning arbitrary values to one group over another that it becomes racist. I'm a "one at a time" guy.... I don't take generalized shortcuts when assessing people by lumping them into groups.... I'm an equal opportunity hater... I've hated folks of every color... as well as loved folks of every color. I refuse to be polarized behind some nutjob who wants to use racial tension to motivate me to do their bidding and to empower them. People are getting wise to the media... I, for one , prefer to do my own research.... too much spinning of sound bites these days.... GOD BLESS....

Thank you for all the time you put in here, Bosco685. 

On 11/14/2021 at 5:04 AM, jsilverjanet said:

Saw it yesterday I thought the first half was excellent but once they went to the mystical land the movie fell apart and I lost interest 

agree on the Aquafina comments 

thought the fight scenes in the first half were amazing especially the building 

2.5 stars out of 4

this was my feeling exactly. loved the first half. simu liu and tony cheung were both great. not so happy to see awkwafina for me either. hope shangchi goes on to more exciting stuff in future mcu films. i can imagine a new avengers film someday with him in it...

On 11/15/2021 at 8:07 PM, alexgross.com said:

this was my feeling exactly. loved the first half. simu liu and tony cheung were both great. not so happy to see awkwafina for me either. hope shangchi goes on to more exciting stuff in future mcu films. i can imagine a new avengers film someday with him in it...

My edit of reality would have had the first half expanded to possibly include a more transitional adversary, more martial arts wizardry, with a gradual build up to the mystical elements... leaving the Forbidden Realm to be explored more fully in a second film.... with some more plausibility crafted in during the first film. It just segues too quickly from urban to fantasy. The pieces were all there, they just needed more embellishment. Perhaps Covid related budget concerns cannibalized the effort. GOD BLESS...

I hope to watch it again on the tube. 

I've been thinking on this a bit more and have come to the following conclusion- the actors that were cast in the leads (aside from Michelle Yeoh and Tony Leung Chiu-wai) lacked gravitas.  If you look at the previous successful Marvel movies (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Ant-Man), the actors all command a strong screen presence.  But not the leads in this film.  And there are many Asian actors that are impressive on the screen (John Cho, Ken Watanabe, Hiroyuki Sanada, Constance Wu, etc.).  So it's not a lack of talent in the pool.  Awkwafina does her comedy thing and she's reasonably good at that.  But it's no substitute for screen presence.

I just think that these actors were, for the most part, pretty lackluster and flat in their performances.  2c

Edited by Randall Dowling
emphasis

On 11/15/2021 at 9:42 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I've been thinking on this a bit more and have come to the following conclusion- the actors that were cast in the leads (aside from Michelle Yeoh and Tony Leung Chiu-wai) lacked gravitas.  If you look at the previous successful Marvel movies (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Ant-Man), the actors all command a strong screen presence.  But not the leads in this film.  And there are many Asian actors that are impressive on the screen (John Cho, Ken Watanabe, Hiroyuki Sanada, Constance Wu, etc.).  So it's not a lack of talent in the pool.  Awkwafina does her comedy thing and she's reasonably good at that.  But it's no substitute for screen presence.

I just think that these actors were, for the most part, pretty lackluster and flat in their performances.  2c

I'd agree with this. Coupled with the early and often camp elements, it was just impossible to take the story seriously or become invested in the characters. Comedy can work fine even in heavy doses, as it did with GOTG, but here it didn't for me. I DID laugh some. sheesh. Just thought there was a bit much of it.  I liked that the leads were two childhood best friends that played off each other, and had fun. It was something a little different. But

Spoiler

then the presence of his best friend throughout the film added nothing to the plot. Other than getting in the way and almost getting killed, Katy's actions have no impact on Shang-Chi and she's basically on her own journey. There's no need for her to travel with him to China. What about her job? And Shang-Chi knows perfectly well how dangerous it would be for her to come along, and he lets her? Come on, that's dumb and hugely irresponsible. And she's just witnessed first hand how dangerous his world can be in that endless bus fight scene. Of course it has to happen because the plot needs it to, but it's silly nonetheless.  

Then nothing happens to her! She doesn't get kidnapped, she doesn't get hurt, she almost dies only once, learns to use a weapon well enough and in a miraculously short amount of time to make a miraculous shot later, so what's the point? 

The actual martial arts action was great, even though Shang-Chi grabbing a bus window ledge that's had its glass blown out and somehow not slicing his hands to shreds was perplexing, but whatever. I was entertained, but sorry just in no way was this a great movie.

When I went to work today, friend and I were "How was your weekend and what did you do? ing"

He mentioned he saw Shang-Chi on Disney+

I asked him what he thought as a 'non comic guy' 'guy that is unfamiliar with all this' 

BTW the movie was my only exposure to the character of Shang-Chi as well. 

Summary of this thoughts:

• He liked the movie a lot.  He also like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon so. he thought this was good as it reminded him of it.
  • He liked Awkwafina 
  • Was curious to know how this will fit into the Marvel movies going forward. 
  • Loved Wong in everything else so far and thought he was great here as well especially in taking Wong to Karaoke 

Interesting how several posters here preferred the first half over the second. I struggled with the first half and enjoyed the second. The bus fight scene was the only thing that was cool in the first half. Not sure why I enjoyed Awkwafina because she had bad lines and really didn’t even need to make the trip. She could have just faded out after her Sandra Bullock moment. I just find her sort of charismatic. 

On 11/16/2021 at 1:10 AM, speedcake said:

I'd agree with this. Coupled with the early and often camp elements, it was just impossible to take the story seriously or become invested in the characters. Comedy can work fine even in heavy doses, as it did with GOTG, but here it didn't for me. I DID laugh some. sheesh. Just thought there was a bit much of it.  I liked that the leads were two childhood best friends that played off each other, and had fun. It was something a little different. But

Reveal hidden contents

then the presence of his best friend throughout the film added nothing to the plot. Other than getting in the way and almost getting killed, Katy's actions have no impact on Shang-Chi and she's basically on her own journey. There's no need for her to travel with him to China. What about her job? And Shang-Chi knows perfectly well how dangerous it would be for her to come along, and he lets her? Come on, that's dumb and hugely irresponsible. And she's just witnessed first hand how dangerous his world can be in that endless bus fight scene. Of course it has to happen because the plot needs it to, but it's silly nonetheless.  

Then nothing happens to her! She doesn't get kidnapped, she doesn't get hurt, she almost dies only once, learns to use a weapon well enough and in a miraculously short amount of time to make a miraculous shot later, so what's the point? 

The actual martial arts action was great, even though Shang-Chi grabbing a bus window ledge that's had its glass blown out and somehow not slicing his hands to shreds was perplexing, but whatever. I was entertained, but sorry just in no way was this a great movie.

Mild Spoiler Alert...even though I'm not sure folks care much at this point...

Katy is important to the story and adds an important assist to their comic book fantasy adventure.

Early in the movie, she calls herself the Asian Jeff Gordon and shows it as she skillfully handles a Ferrari and helps Shang-Chi out as she drives the runaway bus through San Francisco. These driving skills come in handy at a crucial part of their adventure as she drives our heroes out of Wen Wu's compound and takes them through the bamboo maze. Probably nobody but her could have done that.

Katy also serves as the movie's everyman/woman, the non-powered supporting character who witnesses the story's events and acts like a member of the audience. Every Marvel movie has one. Ned Leeds in Spider-Man. Luis in Ant-Man. Agent Ross in Black Panther. 

What makes Katy a little more interesting is that she has her own character arc. In the beginning of the movie, she is badgered by her family for having no purpose and herself complains she's not good at anything. Throughout the movie, though, she does find purpose and learns she actually is good at some things and they make a difference to the story's outcome.

In addition, she's as funny a supporting character as any other character from any other Marvel movie, even Luis from Ant-Man.

I think you're being a little unfair to Katy.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:16 AM, Buzzetta said:

When I went to work today, friend and I were "How was your weekend and what did you do? ing"

He mentioned he saw Shang-Chi on Disney+

I asked him what he thought as a 'non comic guy' 'guy that is unfamiliar with all this' 

BTW the movie was my only exposure to the character of Shang-Chi as well. 

Summary of this thoughts:

• He liked the movie a lot.  He also like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon so. he thought this was good as it reminded him of it.
  • He liked Awkwafina 
  • Was curious to know how this will fit into the Marvel movies going forward. 
  • Loved Wong in everything else so far and thought he was great here as well especially in taking Wong to Karaoke 

I think this is the common reaction to these films. But then when you reflect on some of the details, it can get a little interesting (not that folks shouldn't appreciate these films).

1. Michelle Yeon and the dancing reeds forest along with the flying martial arts scenes - it was obvious the linkage to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  2. I don't have an issue with her that much. Her comedy is not tops on my list. But she was okay. Just a little forced into the story to bring the buddy partner element. And then a super-archer out of nowhere.
  3. That's a given in a long-linked franchise.
  4. Wong and The Abomination was an odd scene. The latter was created to kill the Hulk if you go back to the film. Now he is just a lumbering goofy buddy to Wong putting on wrestling-like entertainment to setup early breadcrumbs for the Thunderbolts? So now we just forget who Abomination is because he will be the next Groot.
Edited by Bosco685

On 11/16/2021 at 6:49 AM, Bosco685 said:

I think this is the common reaction to these films. But then when you reflect on some of the details, it can get a little interesting (not that folks shouldn't appreciate these films).

1. Michelle Yeon and the dancing reeds forest along with the flying martial arts scenes - it was obvious the linkage to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  2. I don't have an issue with her that much. Her comedy is not tops on my list. But she was okay. Just a little forced into the story to bring the buddy partner element. And then a super-archer out of nowhere.
  3. That's a given in a long-linked franchise.
  4. Wong and The Abomination was an odd scene. The latter was created to kill the Hulk if you go back to the film. Now he is just a lumbering goofy buddy to Wong putting on wrestling-like entertainment to setup early breadcrumbs for the Thunderbolts? So now we just forget who Abomination is because he will be the next Groot.

The only part I disagree with you in the response is Awkwafina.  I think there was more to the casting than to add a comedy and buddy element to the film.   I believe she was cast as a representation of an Asian American that had been "Americanized" especially with that husky Queens accent that she has.    This was in contrast to Tony Leung's character who represents the Chinese aspect of Shang Chi life, whereas Awkwafina represents that American side, with Shang Chi caught in the middle.  Was it over the top in certain parts?  That I can agree with, but that's what I think they were going for.

It's by no means a perfect movie nor would I suggest it is.  I'm saying that you don't cast Awkwafina unless that is exactly what you are looking for.   I think she was the right choice for this role.  I question her being cast as Sisu in Raya and the Last Dragon as it seemed to be too much of a callback to casting Eddie Murphy as Mushu in Mulan as the loud comedic 'buddy'.

lol

On 11/16/2021 at 7:51 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Aquafina sucks. I'm not sure if the 'comedian' or the bottled water is worse. They're both in poor taste IMO.

If I could be guaranteed to get you in the board Christmas raffle, I would be tempted to join up again.  I would get you a legitimate gift that you would enjoy and show off, but just think of the separate gag gift that I would assemble.

On 11/16/2021 at 11:41 AM, alexgross.com said:

forgot to mention how much i liked trevor's story about seeing planet of the apes in 1968. funniest bit in the movie imho, and a great reference to one of my all time favorite film franchises. 

Everyone hated the remake.... I'm sorry to say I loved it. GOD BLESS...