• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2021 at 8:12 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

As much as I like taking pot shots at DC’s failed attempt at a viable crossover movie universe, my earlier post you referenced was still being objective as far as facts go and the influence that RT scores have on a movie’s perceived success and sometimes its success at the box office. Man of Steel’s $660 million WW box office was seen as a minor disappointment in the wake of the billion dollar takes of the two previous Dark Knight films, the Avengers, and Iron Man 3. That coupled with its 56% RT score and mixed word of mouth made MOS a minor disappointment both critically and financially. I’m not just being negative, that’s a fact, and it again speaks to the influence that RT scores can have on a movie’s perceived success, whether that RT number is an accurate picture or not.

And RIGHT THERE is what you are all about. Which does not contribute to healthy discussions on here. Just to detract from competing studios. Nicely done admitting to that!

As was pointed out to you multiple times, Man of Steel was not a financial failure when you were dealing with a brand name that was depreciating in value over time. Not only did MOS bring in $668M WW, but also $170M in product placement revenue. Why do you think WB Studios moved so quickly to setup a follow-up film?

Superman_BO.thumb.PNG.ea0c4b6bac58fc728d61f94ab927b666.PNG

But you research things. In no way do you pick and choose metrics that work for your negative narrative, then dismiss them when they don't work for your beloved MCU.

:baiting:

On 10/29/2021 at 6:49 AM, Straw-Man said:

it is indeed wondrous.

I saw ASM 2 on 3-D IMAX and it is easily on my top 5 , although it can't dethrone Jackson's KONG or AVATAR imho. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/29/2021 at 8:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

And RIGHT THERE is what you are all about. Which does not contribute to healthy discussions on here. Just to detract from competing studios. Nicely done admitting to that!

As was pointed out to you multiple times, Man of Steel was not a financial failure when you were dealing with a brand name that was depreciating in value over time. Not only did MOS bring in $668M WW, but also $170M in product placement revenue. Why do you think WB Studios moved so quickly to setup a follow-up film?

Superman_BO.thumb.PNG.ea0c4b6bac58fc728d61f94ab927b666.PNG

But you research things. In no way do you pick and choose metrics that work for your negative narrative, then dismiss them when they don't work for your beloved MCU.

:baiting:

Now how is everybody getting a trophy if the goalposts can't be moved a bit  ?:baiting: GOD BLESS...

... I loved MOS :cloud9:

Edited by jimjum12

On 10/29/2021 at 7:30 PM, jimjum12 said:

Now how is everybody getting a trophy if the goalposts can't be moved a bit :baiting: GOD BLESS...

... I loved MOS :cloud9:

It was crazy seeing a Superman franchise suffering diminishing returns and someone attempting to pitch Man of Steel should have been a billion dollar film.

Gotta love when someone attempts to alter reality for the sake of trolling.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

I didn't say Man of Steel was a financial failure. I don't think anybody says that. I said it was considered a minor disappointment. I remember when the movie came out. It had a nice opening weekend, but the hoped for box office legs just weren't there  the following weeks. Making only $90 million more domestic over the embarrassing Superman Returns is not a resounding success. The 56% RT score and the fact that a dark brooding Superman who kills his opponent didn't sit well with a lot of people compounded the "minor disappointment." $668M WW is respectable, but MOS was not the fireworks kickoff for the Son of Krypton that WB was hoping for.

I think WB rushed on the Batman v Superman movie because they thought MOS was enough of a foundation to build on and couldn't wait to get their own multi-billion dollar cinematic universe up and running. 

On 10/29/2021 at 8:15 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I didn't say Man of Steel was a financial failure. I don't think anybody says that. I said it was considered a minor disappointment. I remember when the movie came out. It had a nice opening weekend, but the hoped for box office legs just weren't there  the following weeks. Making only $90 million more domestic over the embarrassing Superman Returns is not a resounding success. The 56% RT score and the fact that a dark brooding Superman who kills his opponent didn't sit well with a lot of people compounded the "minor disappointment." $668M WW is respectable, but MOS was not the fireworks kickoff for the Son of Krypton that WB was hoping for.

I think WB rushed on the Batman v Superman movie because they thought MOS was enough of a foundation to build on and couldn't wait to get their own multi-billion dollar cinematic universe up and running. 

Uh-huh. Your cult dance is consistent.

lhp-satan.gif.cba0962ef5f4efca5467c0f2aca9bb2d.gif

Meanwhile, funny how Rotten Tomatoes works for you when needed.

(:

very late to the game with this film because the trailers made me not want to see it. I went into it with low expectations and unfortunately I was right to do so.

I rate this at best a 5-6/10.

Shang-Chi felt like "Archie Andrews does Kung-Fu" more than the Master of Kung-Fu. He works as a valet and loves karaoke? Yeah ok that is stupid. I definitely prefer more serious movies with great writing which is why Winter Soldier is still my #1 MCU movie.  Shang-Chi doesn't crack my top 20.

Eternals is next....

On 11/11/2021 at 5:49 PM, Artboy99 said:

very late to the game with this film because the trailers made me not want to see it. I went into it with low expectations and unfortunately I was right to do so.

I rate this at best a 5-6/10.

Shang-Chi felt like "Archie Andrews does Kung-Fu" more than the Master of Kung-Fu. He works as a valet and loves karaoke? Yeah ok that is stupid. I definitely prefer more serious movies with great writing which is why Winter Soldier is still my #1 MCU movie.  Shang-Chi doesn't crack my top 20.

Eternals is next....

It's out on D+ tomorrow I think, should have saved your $$ and just tried to watch it at home. I will give it a shot, I tried to watch BW but shut it off about 40min in. Could not get into that flick at all.

On 11/11/2021 at 11:25 PM, Oddball said:

Interesting, Shang Chi is available to buy on iTunes right now so I checked D+ and its not there yet.  Maybe in a few more hours.

Just took a look, it's there and says the 12th but just a trailer so far.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, Finhead said:

Just took a look, it's there and says the 12th but just a trailer so far.

It just dropped right now on D+ but strangely was available on the 11th for iTunes. I’ll watch it tonight as this is the only Marvel film other than Infinity and Endgame that was originally filmed entirely in IMAX (digital). 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:28 AM, Oddball said:

It just dropped right now on D+ but strangely was available on the 11th for iTunes. I’ll watch it tonight as this is the only Marvel film other than Infinity and Endgame that was originally filmed entirely in IMAX (digital). 

I'm gonna have to watch it this weekend, then.

On 11/12/2021 at 7:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm gonna have to watch it this weekend, then.

Ditto.

Again - as I've literally never read a Shang-chi appearance in my life, couldn't care less about this film.

Meanwhile - I finally tried to watch New Mutants via streaming around Halloween and it was *really* disappointing.

I turned it off half an hour in. Not quite Ghost Rider or Jonah Hex bad, but worse than even Thor 2. That's a shame - I was really rooting for the film, as I was excited to see a truly dark / horror take, worthy of the Demon Bear storyline. And that first trailer...literally years ago...was amazingly full of promise.

Shang-Chi definitely has its moments already. Really good fight choreography, logistics, and camera work.

There are some things that have not been explained, and do not make sense, so storytelling is a minus right now.

Edit: VFX are also unpolished. Disappointing for 2021. Simu Liu is charismatic, and Aquafina still sucks.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 11/12/2021 at 6:43 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Shang-Chi definitely has its moments already. Really good fight choreography, logistics, and camera work.

There are some things that have not been explained, and do not make sense, so storytelling is a minus right now.

Edit: VFX are also unpolished. Disappointing for 2021. Simu Liu is charismatic, and Aquafina still sucks.

Agree that the fight choreography is good. I really didn't like the fight that turns into dancing at the beginning and then Shang-Chi turns out to be a valet that loves karaoke and the film never recovered from there for me. Aquafina is annoying.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:24 AM, Artboy99 said:

Agree that the fight choreography is good. I really didn't like the fight that turns into dancing at the beginning and then Shang-Chi turns out to be a valet that loves karaoke and the film never recovered from there for me. Aquafina is annoying.

That's disappointing, as I think the beginning was the absolute weakest part of the film, and I think it goes from bad to pretty decent after that.