• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2021 at 7:59 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Shang-Chi starts off badly, and ends poorly. I'd give it a 6.5/10. 2nd worst MCU origin film, but definitely worth the watch for the parts that make the movie enjoyable.

pretty much where I am at on the film. It was entertaining I just wish they had treated it more seriously. Marvel seems to think their humor is what is selling these movies and often I find it is ill-timed or just not that funny. I didn't laugh at all in Shang-Chi.

First half hour was bad with eye rolling moments but I stuck with it because I liked the two leads. It got better. And the finale was great. Really enjoyed it. His sister was a bit of a disappointment though as her character didn’t seem very fleshed out and I didn’t have much feeling for her. She also came off as a bit wooden. Never read the comics so this is what I have to go on and I dug it. Looking forward to more.

Watched it. It's the first marvel film I went in with really high expectations from all the hype.  I didn't see it that way. Thought it was ok, not terrible, nor great. Almost like Black Widow.

Am I the only one who thought of the never ending story? lol. It's like we crossed over into that universe.

Edited by bronze_rules

Finally saw it and felt it was one of the better recent MCU films just on account of tone, colors, action and lighting. Pretty solid except for the last battle, which really suffered from poor CGI making it all look very flat (lots of that was due to the color grading when it became 'darker'). The final act was typical superhero film letdown, with a muddy mess of a giant CGI battle - but in this case far less exciting than most since they just introduce large VERY OBVIOUSLY EVIL looking nightmare beasts to fight that they could have done without. Bus fight was legendary, and I loved that they leaned into proper Wuxia style for nearly all the action.

I'm always happy to see Kirin on screen, and even better shishi, though would have been happier with less Ben Kingsley (should have been limited to just the castle, not brought with for the final act) and more development for the sister (especially since we only hear her dismantling the organization at the end off screen) and of course even more screen time for Tony Leung (I would have asked that even if he had 2 hours of screen time - always more!)

I wish these had come into play. But I guess with the Infinity Stones the assumption was the general audience would confuse the two.

Shang-Chi Producer Confirms Avengers' Infinity Stones Influenced MCU's Ten Rings Design

In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Ten Rings are modelled after the iron rings used in the martial art Hung Gar rather than finger rings, and don't possess elemental powers. According to Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings producer Jonathan Schwartz, these changes were made to avoid comparisons with the Infinity Gauntlet. Schwartz has stated the inspiration was the 1978 movie The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

456987845_Mandarins_Rings_from_Invincible_Iron_Man_Annual_Vol_1_1_001.thumb.jpg.b502429367917c2bb650900937b5d2ee.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/13/2021 at 10:47 AM, Bosco685 said:

I wish these had come into play. But I guess with the Infinity Stones the assumption was the general audience would confuse the two.

Shang-Chi Producer Confirms Avengers' Infinity Stones Influenced MCU's Ten Rings Design

456987845_Mandarins_Rings_from_Invincible_Iron_Man_Annual_Vol_1_1_001.thumb.jpg.b502429367917c2bb650900937b5d2ee.jpg

It was honestly a great decision overall and would have seen as very derivative compared to the gems had they stuck closer to the source. I think the only thing I would have loved to see is Wenwu being influenced by Fin Fang Foom rather than some random generic nightmare creatures :D (perhaps with IRL influence and convincing by Chen Hsu, who was pushing the idea of rescuing his wife in order to free his fellow dragon)

On 11/13/2021 at 11:01 AM, Sauce Dog said:

It was honestly a great decision overall and would have seen as very derivative compared to the gems had they stuck closer to the source. I think the only thing I would have loved to see is Wenwu being influenced by Fin Fang Foom rather than some random generic nightmare creatures :D (perhaps with IRL influence and convincing by Chen Hsu, who was pushing the idea of rescuing his wife in order to free his fellow dragon)

If you are going arm rings, go full arm rings!

KFH_Rings.gif.16db72d543670a5011ad411d43e5f5a7.gif

KFH_Rings2.gif.353c3cc9214d6156d83b960d77b62664.gif

On 11/13/2021 at 11:01 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I think the only thing I would have loved to see is Wenwu being influenced by Fin Fang Foom rather than some random generic nightmare creatures

We will never see Fin Fang Foom in the MCU. Though you may not see it as you're probably not Asian, the name is offensive. It's already been noted by Simu Liu as such and a reason why new monsters were created in liu of ol' Finny. 

As much as China seems to be in full Disney boycott mode right now, I don't think Disney will give up on China and at the least will bury any past Marvel content deemed offensive to Asian countries, which is the right thing to do regardless. 

With that, I feel sorry for collectors who spent an army and leg for Strange Tales #89 in hopes it'd show up in the MCU.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:53 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

We will never see Fin Fang Foom in the MCU. Though you may not see it as you're probably not Asian, the name is offensive. It's already been noted by Simu Liu as such and a reason why new monsters were created in liu of ol' Finny. 

As much as China seems to be in full Disney boycott mode right now, I don't think Disney will give up on China and at the least will bury any past Marvel content deemed offensive to Asian countries, which is the right thing to do regardless. 

With that, I feel sorry for collectors who spent an army and leg for Strange Tales #89 in hopes it'd show up in the MCU.

The name wouldn't be needed and isn't important to me overall, the imagery alone of him would have been enough (or a shortened version of it, perhaps simply being known as FOOM if that is acceptable)

On 11/13/2021 at 12:05 PM, Sauce Dog said:

The name wouldn't be needed and isn't important to me overall, the imagery alone of him would have been enough (or a shortened version of it, perhaps simply being known as FOOM if that is acceptable)

^^

Unfortunately, some would still take offense.

foom.gif.385c5bc21d220ff72298cf2a5821e8bc.gif

On 11/13/2021 at 12:05 PM, Sauce Dog said:

At this point, I think even the slightest whiff of the character will trigger the China ban alert if the bans on Mulan, Shang-Chi, and Eternals are any indication. I don't think it's worth the risk for Disney to greenlight Fin's use in the MCU considering the character isn't that important to Marvel canon and how much money Disney is losing by missing out on the China market.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Marvel's official FIN FANG FOOM character bio site:

Perhaps the most enduring member of that long-gone Age of Monsters, Fin Fang Foom is also the most complex and intriguing. Piecing together this monstrosity's history is patchwork at best, and often somewhat contradictory. Ulysses mentioned an encounter with the beast once, but refused to go into details, simply stating that the story would be told when it was finished between the two. Using correspondence from Dr. Chen Liuchow (the gentleman who first unleashed the ancient dragon upon the modern world), the very reliable Reed Richards, and the Avenger known as Iron Man, here is what I have pieced together for Elsa's project.

According to Iron Man, the creature once thought to be native of China's Valley of the Sleeping Dragon was actually the navigator of a starship from a planet called Kakaranathara (though Iron Man notes this world is sometimes referred to as Maklu IV).

It goes on for about 12 paragraphs after this. So someone at Marvel Entertainment LLC assumed this character mattered.

On 11/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Finally saw it and felt it was one of the better recent MCU films just on account of tone, colors, action and lighting. Pretty solid except for the last battle, which really suffered from poor CGI making it all look very flat (lots of that was due to the color grading when it became 'darker'). The final act was typical superhero film letdown, with a muddy mess of a giant CGI battle - but in this case far less exciting than most since they just introduce large VERY OBVIOUSLY EVIL looking nightmare beasts to fight that they could have done without. Bus fight was legendary, and I loved that they leaned into proper Wuxia style for nearly all the action.

I'm always happy to see Kirin on screen, and even better shishi, though would have been happier with less Ben Kingsley (should have been limited to just the castle, not brought with for the final act) and more development for the sister (especially since we only hear her dismantling the organization at the end off screen) and of course even more screen time for Tony Leung (I would have asked that even if he had 2 hours of screen time - always more!)

Yeah Tony was superb as usual.  Wish he stayed for the sequel or showed up in other parts of the mcu

I finally got around to watching Shang-Chi, as it was recently released on Disney+.

I thought it was pretty terrible. It was a struggle to get through the whole thing. There was only one scene in the entire movie that I enjoyed. It didn't even feel like it was a Marvel movie. The movie was a generic beat em' up with gobs of nasty CGI. All Marvel movies are ultimately action movies, but even so this was a beat em' up on another level of beat em' ups. Continuous, pointless combat makes the stakes of combat non-existent. It's all so dismissible and trivial.

I'm glad I waited for it to hit Disney+, because for me, it wasn't worth any money to view. It's bad enough that I feel like I wasted my time watching it, and should've been paid for the chore. I found myself anxiously awaiting the credits.

Ok, finally watched it today via Disney+.  Overall I'd give it a 6 out of 10, passing, but just barely.  

The Good:

Tony Chiu - Dude killed it, I was way more interested in his character/story than anyone else.

Simu Liu - Very likable actor/character.  Having never seen anything else with him in it I'm mildly interested in seeing where he goes next.

The Not-So-Good:

The main story was not really all that interesting/fairly generic.  While I wasn't bored like I was during Dune, I also wasn't really invested in the movie.

The Bad:

Awkwafina - Please just stop.  Not sure who in Hollywood decided she was "it" but ugh.

Comedy -  All the jokes just fell flat for me.  Was it the jokes themselves or that Awkwafina was in most of the joke scenes I'm not sure but they were just ugh.

The WTF?

Wong fighting and then being implied that he trained the Abomination was a head scratcher.  That just seemed a bit too forced/shoe-horned in.  I mean this was a guy that destroyed half of harlem/brooklynn that Wong was being all chummy with.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:45 PM, media_junkie said:

Ok, finally watched it today via Disney+.  Overall I'd give it a 6 out of 10, passing, but just barely.  

The Good:

Tony Chiu - Dude killed it, I was way more interested in his character/story than anyone else.

Simu Liu - Very likable actor/character.  Having never seen anything else with him in it I'm mildly interested in seeing where he goes next.

The Not-So-Good:

The main story was not really all that interesting/fairly generic.  While I wasn't bored like I was during Dune, I also wasn't really invested in the movie.

The Bad:

Awkwafina - Please just stop.  Not sure who in Hollywood decided she was "it" but ugh.

Comedy -  All the jokes just fell flat for me.  Was it the jokes themselves or that Awkwafina was in most of the joke scenes I'm not sure but they were just ugh.

The WTF?

Wong fighting and then being implied that he trained the Abomination was a head scratcher.  That just seemed a bit too forced/shoe-horned in.  I mean this was a guy that destroyed half of harlem/brooklynn that Wong was being all chummy with.

"On a dark desert highway.......cool wind in my hair ....." Ok, that made me giggle a bit. 

Saw it yesterday I thought the first half was excellent but once they went to the mystical land the movie fell apart and I lost interest 

agree on the Aquafina comments 

thought the fight scenes in the first half were amazing especially the building 

2.5 stars out of 4

On 11/13/2021 at 11:13 PM, rexinnih said:

"On a dark desert highway.......cool wind in my hair ....." Ok, that made me giggle a bit. 

Thing is, this WAS funny. It was set up decently well and would have been a pretty great moment of levity if the campy comedy hadn't been so heavy handed from the first moments of the movie.

I didn't like the film much. It had some cool moments, and while I'm not an Awkwafina fan I did think there was surprisingly decent chemistry between the leads.  But the levels of camp and just sheer goofiness were off the charts and it was totally unnecessary. It was hard to take anything seriously at all, and it culminated in a finale where as usual no one of import ever felt like they were really in danger.

It's just a bad movie, unfortunately. It could and should have been a kickass martial arts film, I mean how do you get THIS film from the source material?  

The plot is weak, the finale forgettable, the end credits were cool though.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:06 PM, speedcake said:

It's just a bad movie, unfortunately. It could and should have been a kickass martial arts film, I mean how do you get THIS film from the source material?  

I thought the same. Watched it on Disney plus and knew roughly what to expect being an MCU origin story. Was hoping to be more surprised and although I found some of the action pretty cool I feel they missed an opportunity to avoid the standard CGI monster fight ending.

Simu Liu was cool though, look forward to seeing more of him.