• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Comics
2 2

237 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Now that we got the grease pencil mark removed, let's move onto Part Two... do-it-yourself colour-touch. :smile:

yellow white board markers work good.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

If I’ve learned one thing when it comes to cleaning, is that I leave that to professionals 

Reconize your limitations, I can some things but certainly not others. Cleaning effectively is one thing, cleaning correctly is a whole other thing.

Cleaning you can do with eraser etc but I recommend leaving pressing to professionals because otherwise it comes back from CGC with 'crushed spine' notation lol

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I wonder what does more damage 

amateur pressers or amateur cleaners

Amateur pressers.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Karl, I don't know how you got the impression I don't like slabbed books . I like CGC, I like slabbed books, I submit books. I don't like the manipulation of books,especially by DIY pressers.  Here is a llink to my current collection....     http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=516    

Aha! Verryyy nice!  You beat my 9.0 FF36 with a 9.2 grrrrr...  I am going to get you Bob, you can count on it!

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Even Joey Post was an amateur presser at one time. What ever methods you use for cleaning or pressing always practice on books that you don't value much. Try different things mentioned and you'll understand how it all works.

So I can be a brain surgeon, astronaut, anything I want to be as long as I practice ? As Clint Eastwood once said, ' a man has got to know his limitations'.  My concern with all the DIY'ers is that they will eventually put their experiments into the marketplace. 

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

As Clint Eastwood once said, ' a man has got to know his limitations'

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Reconize your limitations, I can some things but certainly not others.

:acclaim:*I meant to say "I can do some things...

Edited by jsilverjanet

1 hour ago, kav said:

Cleaning you can do with eraser etc but I recommend leaving pressing to professionals because otherwise it comes back from CGC with 'crushed spine' notation lol

yep, that was me. I can own up to my mistakes. Do you?

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So I can be a brain surgeon, astronaut, anything I want to be as long as I practice ? As Clint Eastwood once said, ' a man has got to know his limitations'.  My concern with all the DIY'ers is that they will eventually  inevitably put their experiments into the marketplace. 

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

yep, that was me. I can own up to my mistakes. Do you?

Can you be more specific?  I learned not do dry clean over color areas-and I have not advised OP to do that so you're gonna have to be more specific as regards to my current claims.  The pics I posted speak for themselves.  

Just now, kav said:

Can you be more specific?  I learned not do dry clean over color areas-and I have not advised OP to do that so you're gonna have to be more specific as regards to my current claims.  The pics I posted speak for themselves.  

you posted the back cover pic of a book but isn't the Superman 210 also your work?

http://www.championcitycomics.com/2012/03/kavs-quick-tips-for-comic-book.html

14 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So I can be a brain surgeon, astronaut, anything I want to be as long as I practice ? As Clint Eastwood once said, ' a man has got to know his limitations'.  My concern with all the DIY'ers is that they will eventually put their experiments into the marketplace. 

Bob!!!  You missed the point completely!  It is true every man needs to know his limitations BUT Dirty Harry has no limitations!

Edited by Karl Liebl

3 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I know you did this in "2 minutes", but if it were a test, I would have graded it a 42 out of 100. 

what is wrong with it?  Looks 95% better to me.  95% of grit is gone.