• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Comics
2 2

237 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

i would prefer not to, but a lot is apparent just in the scan. While it is true there is less dirt, that doesn’t always equate to a higher grade as faulty techniques can add other issues. 

Or can you at least say why you wont explain?  I cant see how pointing out how the book has been adversely affected by amateur cleaning would do anything but help your business.

24 minutes ago, kav said:

can you PM me?  I'm trying to address someone emailed me claiming pros just dont want people cleaning their own books for financial reasons.

Ps as I said loss of gloss wasnt an issue with this book.

I would have been surprised if you weren’t approached by someone using that angle. Trust me, I do well enough selling books so I could stop pressing tomorrow and pay my bills, but I prefer not to add any additional information. 

Edited by joeypost

4 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I would have been surprised if you weren’t approached by someone using that angle. Trust me, I do well enough selling books so I could stop pressing tomorrow and pay my bill, but I prefer not to add any additional information. 

Dang now the guy is gonna gloat 'I told you he wouldnt be able to say what was wrong with your cleaning'.  That was part of his message and I disagreed.  Now I have to eat my words.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

Dang now the guy is gonna gloat 'I told you he wouldnt be able to say what was wrong with your cleaning'.  That was part of his message and I disagreed.  Now I have to eat my words.

Never assume. 

24 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Never assume. 

Well you have to assume things-a lot of things every day just to exist-you have to assume your car will start, no one has stolen all the food from your fridge while you were out so might as well pick stuff up on the way home, that every bite of food you eat hasnt been poisoned, the sun will rise, you will wake up with the same number of fingers you went to bed with etc.

Edited by kav

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Technically the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim.  Everyone is claiming me cleaning the back of that comic was wrong, no one has been able to state exactly why.  And I think that info would be useful to collectors, if it exists.  I still assert that it's best left to professionals, but I'm just sayin. 

Joey has nothing to prove.  Continually asking for his techniques that he spent decades learning is rude.  

1 minute ago, comicdonna said:

Joey has nothing to prove.  Continually asking for his techniques that he spent decades learning is rude.  

Pls show where I asked him to divulge his techniques.  My comments stand or fall on their own merits.  Politeness or rudeness does not enter into it.

I used an eraser to remove grime from a book.  The only thing that happened to the book as far as I am aware was grime was removed.  There was no gloss to be removed and I've been told there are many other issues now.  I cannot think of what they could possibly be.  As a human being I have the right to be curious about the world around me, and ask questions as I see fit.  This does not make me 'rude'.  Joey is a big boy and I cannot see him being hurt by my line of questioning.  He does not have to answer, that is his right.  I still assert cleaning is best left to the pros, but as i said i have the right to be curious.  That does not make me a bad person.

21 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I understand. IMO, whether he is successful or not, does not matter. It's what happens to the books. Will they be discarded ? Will they be sold with dislosure ?  Why encourage anyone who asks to start erasing at will.  Does the world need more comic book cleaners ?  

No. And we don't need any more comic collectors with opinions either but they keep coming in anyways.  Now good day sir.

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

Ok I understand now why asking Joey to explain what was wrong with my puny efforts was in effect asking him to divulge his techniques as he could not explain without doing so, thus I deserved the rebuke.  I'm a bit thick sometimes I readily admit it.  I meant no harm.

6 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Here let me show all you rookies how to properly clean a book...

Just get one of these:

pk-20-eraser.group.jpg.502650aba3f8fa8a0a0766914da672d1.jpg

And...... Voila!!!!

1698460139_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.2b1fb438d20c34e63be4d362e4962559.jpg

wow looks great!!!  

Question for everyone-what about $10-$20 books? is it ok to clean em?  No one is sending them in for pro cleaning so is it ok?  Ok to sell?

Discuss.

34 minutes ago, kav said:

Question for everyone-what about $10-$20 books? is it ok to clean em?  No one is sending them in for pro cleaning so is it ok?  Ok to sell?

Discuss.

Almost every mega-key was, at one time, a $10-20 book. That’s all I am adding to this discussion. 

1 hour ago, kav said:

I used an eraser to remove grime from a book.  The only thing that happened to the book as far as I am aware was grime was removed.  There was no gloss to be removed and I've been told there are many other issues now.  I cannot think of what they could possibly be.  As a human being I have the right to be curious about the world around me, and ask questions as I see fit.  This does not make me 'rude'.  Joey is a big boy and I cannot see him being hurt by my line of questioning.  He does not have to answer, that is his right.  I still assert cleaning is best left to the pros, but as i said i have the right to be curious.  That does not make me a bad person.

Kav, you are NOT a bad person and neither is Joey. If he gave any advice at all, it would generate more questions and requests for info. He is smart for not responding. BTW, I liked your 'see what you started' comment to the OP, funny  !