• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Comics
2 2

237 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

Use some of this stuff. I have cleaned a lot of books with it and it's great stuff... After every four or five strokes re-knead the lump and continue, and take your time, it's not a race. 

61XKEdwZA1L._SY450_.jpg

Thanks all for chiming in. This looks interesting. Im going to buy a can and toy around with it on some no value comics I have...

7 minutes ago, moemaya said:

Thanks all for chiming in. This looks interesting. Im going to buy a can and toy around with it on some no value comics I have...

I tried it and it just was too messy and tougher then just using a good clean erasure in my opinion.  The little eraser specks of that cleaning method get all over the place and it just never looked as clean compared to the erasure treatment.

Only use a white eraser with square edges.  If edges get rounded, cut off a section.  Rounded edges have too much friction and can lead to sub par results.   

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Define "simple cleaning" and what it entails. Are you an expert?

Perhaps it is overkill. Perhaps not, but there are lots of people here that give out bogus advice (as I said well meaning but still erroneous) on a daily basis and that was my main point. 

+1

The stuff that many posters say as fact is mind boggling. 

6 minutes ago, Park said:
1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Define "simple cleaning" and what it entails. Are you an expert?

Perhaps it is overkill. Perhaps not, but there are lots of people here that give out bogus advice (as I said well meaning but still erroneous) on a daily basis and that was my main point. 

+1

The stuff that many posters say as fact is mind boggling. 

2pdeib.jpg

33 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I tried it and it just was too messy and tougher then just using a good clean erasure in my opinion.  The little eraser specks of that cleaning method get all over the place and it just never looked as clean compared to the erasure treatment.

Depends on the severity of the dirt on a book. If the whole cover is filthy with dirt or soot or something, like I've had them come to me, then absorine is really what you need. It lifts the dirt and holds onto it, that little pink ball will become black if you clean a heavily soiled book fully.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Did you ever go to someone's house and he shows his DIY project ? He thinks it looks good and you are thinking it looks terrible.  The trouble with showing a dry clean before and after with a two dimensional scan is you will not always see the damage. Look at the area that was dry cleaned, even the back cover white spine area, at an angle in hand and you will see the loss of gloss . It doesn't show up in the slab but raw, in hand,  I don't like the look. CGC sees so much of it that they probably let it slide.  

Bob, I respect your opinions...  It seems like you don't like slabbed books or pressed books or anything at all that alters the book or makes it unreadable (like a plastic case).  Do you own any slabbed books, have you submitted any?  Why do you hang out on these CGC and CCS boards when you know what they do is completely the opposite of what you prefer?  I personally have been very happy with the pressing and cases, although not so much the grades.  Is it wrong to get extra protection and eye appeal for a valuable book?  I don't think so.  Maybe if Nicolas Cage had access to the kind of service CGC provides he would have been much happier with his collection rather than feeling cheated by a bunch of shills, but I think his real estate holdings were a bigger problem.  No, I don't think novices should try to FIX their books, I can agree with that.

3 hours ago, moemaya said:

I have several raw comics from an estate sale that have mild dirt build up and just plain dirty - otherwise decent books.

"Otherwise decent books?" Are we talking... Amazing Spider-man #20? Fantastic Four #50? Or Iron Man #128? X-Men #137?

3 hours ago, moemaya said:

Any recommendations on how to clean them?

If you're like pretty much 90% of this forum, then any comics you get your hands on, you want to sell at some point. If these are 'otherwise decent books', why would you risk messing them up? Even the people unintentionally giving you bad advice are somewhere slipping in there that it took them 'trial and error' to learn how to correctly do this. 

Good Luck.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

"Otherwise decent books?" Are we talking... Amazing Spider-man #20? Fantastic Four #50? Or Iron Man #128? X-Men #137?

If you're like pretty much 90% of this forum, then any comics you get your hands on, you want to sell at some point. If these are 'otherwise decent books', why would you risk messing them up? Even the people unintentionally giving you bad advice are somewhere slipping in there that it took them 'trial and error' to learn how to correctly do this. 

Good Luck.

I'd walk a thousand miles-to read your posts-it would all be worth it....I'm gettin old, it wears me out-it's no big secret-but IT WOULD ALL BE WORTH IT!!!  

If I’ve learned one thing when it comes to cleaning, is that I leave that to professionals 

Reconize your limitations, I can some things but certainly not others. Cleaning effectively is one thing, cleaning correctly is a whole other thing.

No loss of gloss issues-a book that scuffed has already lost its gloss, a glossy book unlikely to need cleaning as the scuffing that causes grit removes gloss.  That book looks shinier now with grit removed.

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

Bob, I respect your opinions...  It seems like you don't like slabbed books or pressed books or anything at all that alters the book or makes it unreadable (like a plastic case).  Do you own any slabbed books, have you submitted any?  Why do you hang out on these CGC and CCS boards when you know what they do is completely the opposite of what you prefer?  I personally have been very happy with the pressing and cases, although not so much the grades.  Is it wrong to get extra protection and eye appeal for a valuable book?  I don't think so.  Maybe if Nicolas Cage had access to the kind of service CGC provides he would have been much happier with his collection rather than feeling cheated by a bunch of shills, but I think his real estate holdings were a bigger problem.  No, I don't think novices should try to FIX their books, I can agree with that.

Karl, I don't know how you got the impression I don't like slabbed books . I like CGC, I like slabbed books, I submit books. I don't like the manipulation of books,especially by DIY pressers.  Here is a llink to my current collection....     http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=516