• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Comics
2 2

237 posts in this topic

Ok in the interests of harmony and because Joey says so-I retract my statement-do not clean your own books with an eraser.  Best to leave to professionals.  

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

I said good job!

I posted too quick.  You were right in this.  I was wrong.

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Karl, I don't know how you got the impression I don't like slabbed books . I like CGC, I like slabbed books, I submit books. I don't like the manipulation of books,especially by DIY pressers.  Here is a llink to my current collection....     http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=516    

Some great looking ASM books! Really love the #11 & #28. Not easy to find in those grades. Beautiful! If you ever get tired of looking at those let me know (worship)

4 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Some great looking ASM books! Really love the #11 & #28. Not easy to find in those grades. Beautiful! If you ever get tired of looking at those let me know (worship)

ASM #11 may be the most difficult ASM book to find in grade. Thanks for the compliment !  

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

it's funny that the book is posted and you don't take the "credit" for it but you're happy to provide advice here like you did "6 years ago". a professional just noted that he thought "your great job" was poor. Maybe you need to stop offering advice on things you know nothing about. But that won't stop you, because you have a pocket full of pennies that you need to offer your 2 cents on everything that's posted

Or maybe he should've offered up that this is what happens when you DON'T have experience - as the OP asking DOESN'T.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So I can be a brain surgeon, astronaut, anything I want to be as long as I practice ? As Clint Eastwood once said, ' a man has got to know his limitations'.  My concern with all the DIY'ers is that they will eventually put their experiments into the marketplace. 

No. I said practice on comics. My only advice was to try. I never said he would be successful. And both brain surgeons and astronauts at one time had no clue what they were doing. Good thing they didn't give up.

8 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

No. I said practice on comics. My only advice was to try. I never said he would be successful. And both brain surgeons and astronauts at one time had no clue what they were doing. Good thing they didn't give up.

What a lot of long time collector's see is different than what most CG and Modern collectors see. There are only so many copies of a Siver Age book and ESPECIALLY a Golden Age book, and the more people that EXPERIMENT on them and make MISTAKES on them, cut down on the number of possibilities of books that are handled by professionals and then can be assimilated into the marketplace for real collectors. 

The idea that you PRACTICE on one of these is frightening to them. Which ones do you practice on? Which ones are worthy to be deemed 'not worthy' to collect? NONE of them can be called that to a collector. There are collectors (right here on these boards) who collect for the pure enjoyment of collecting, and for them, they take just as much enjoyment out of putting together a run of High Grade Silver Surfer (1968 1st Series) as someone who puts together a High Grade run of Anthro (also 1968).

But it's going to become much more difficult to put together that Anthro set because they're harder to find in high grade already, the demand isn't as high (though that #6 has a sweet cover), and now there's another reason to destroy potentially better copies through amateur PRACTICE on the finite number of copies that might be out there.

Space is infinite. Bring on more astronauts. There's no shortage of humans who need brain surgery, especially around here. But there are a limited number of some of these comics and as 'cleaning' and 'pressing' becomes more and more of the norm for a 'psuedo-collector' (someone into comics more to make money than actually collect), it's another avenue for slowly making it less fun for the real collectors.