• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, BarristerBaker said:

So, on to this auction now? Still licking my wounds from all the missed Promises. Hoping for better luck here.

Well, there’s still many many many more Promise copies to come. So you’ll have more chances 😁

14 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Curious as to what will show up in the next batch as the cream of the crop.  

I know there’s a Cap 1 3.5 still coming. I don’t know why such low grade, compared to the other Promise books, and can only guess it wasn’t purchased off the newsstand and was a later pickup

4 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I know there’s a Cap 1 3.5 still coming. I don’t know why such low grade, compared to the other Promise books, and can only guess it wasn’t purchased off the newsstand and was a later pickup

I thought that one was in session 1 ?   Guess not--maybe it was just graded early.  I heard the Cap 1 was the biggest mega key in terms of name recognition in the whole collection.  Have we seen any late 30's books yet ?

12 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I thought that one was in session 1 ?   Guess not--maybe it was just graded early.  I heard the Cap 1 was the biggest mega key in terms of name recognition in the whole collection.  Have we seen any late 30's books yet ?

I don’t know what is still coming, other than the Cap 1. I was given the chance to view the Promise Collection books included in the most recent auction, and asked specifically about the Cap 1. This is the only reason I know it was held back

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Curious as to what will show up in the next batch as the cream of the crop.  

I know there’s a Cap 1 3.5 still coming.

Well, from Ed's big video hype which apparently was done well enough to snagged a couple of whales on his line, wasn't there a HG copy of Human Torch 23?  Of course, that's probably really more of filler than the actual tasty cream at the top.  :bigsmile:

Besides the low grade grade Cap 1 which Lon had mentioned from the get go, the only other book which he showed that has still not come into play yet is this little absolute L.B. Cole all-time classic spider cover beauty here:  :cloud9:

suspense.jpg

Looks like it will most likely be in there with the rest of this group of later Suspense run, as the earlier issues were apparently not in the collection.  I imagine this little run here will certainly be one of the highlights of which ever auction they decide to run them in, although I am sure it would have been even more spectacular if issues 1, 3, & 4 were in there:  :takeit:

On 5/13/2021 at 10:25 PM, Dr. Love said:
Suspense Comics 5 8.0
Suspense Comics 6 9.6
Suspense Comics 7 9.4
Suspense Comics 8 9.2
Suspense Comics 9 9.4
Suspense Comics 10 9.4
Suspense Comics 11 9.8
Suspense Comics 12 9.6

Not sure if it's going to hit Mask 1 6-figures like numbers here, but similar to the Mask 1, the Promise Collection copy of Suspense 8 is the absolute highest graded copy by a long shot at CGC 9.2 as compared to the Mask 1 at only CGC 8.5.  And a true highest graded copy with even no restored copies above CGC 7.5, whereas the Mask 1 has 2 Slightly Restored copies in CGC 9.6 already.  hm

The Mask Comics have certainly been lighting up the auction floor recently with copies up for sale in almost every single outing, which has certainly helped it to rocket up in valuation.  No such similar reinforcing catalyst to drive up the valuation for Suspense 8, as they have had only something like 3 slab sales over the past 2 years, all in low to mid-grade, but all at big multiples to condition guide.  So, I imagine the Suspense 8 is a much rarer L.B. Cole unicorn than Mask 1 at this current point in time, and certainly so in grade, and will definitely be interesting to watch as only time will tell how this gorgeous Promise Collection copy will do in the end. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

The quality of the GA books in CC's current auction is uncharacteristically weak.  Usually, they have at least a handful of big books and pedigrees.

You are being kind...the selection is abysmal 

Well, since this IS supposed to be the CC Next Event Auction thread here, I guess we should really be talking about something besides the Promise Collection set of books.  :bigsmile:

No doubt Vinnie and the CC auction consignors are hoping that the Promise Collection crazed FOMO driven mania continues to roll on when it comes to their books hitting the 3-minute buzzer, similar to how the Heritage rocket ship seemingly blasted off during the live portion of their auction.  As such and in the same vein, any guesses as to whether this book here is going to take off like the PL 17 and 'Tec 140 and be able to vault itself into the million dollar club, and if so, will it even be able to surpass the $1.125M that the 'Tec 27 just got: :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/919592

x-m1.21697_4.jpg

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since this IS supposed to be the CC Next Event Auction thread here, I guess we should really be talking about something besides the Promise Collection set of books.  :bigsmile:

No doubt Vinnie and the CC auction consignors are hoping that the Promise Collection crazed FOMO driven mania continues to roll on when it comes to their books hitting the 3-minute buzzer, similar to how the Heritage rocket ship seemingly blasted off during the live portion of their auction.  As such and in the same vein, any guesses as to whether this book here is going to take off like the PL 17 and 'Tec 140 and be able to vault itself into the million dollar club, and if so, will it even be able to surpass the $1.125M that the 'Tec 27 just got: :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

x-m1.21697_4.jpg

Where does this book rank in terms of highest graded ?

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Metro's image makes that book look horrid.

This is what it looked like when I slabbed that book over a decade ago.

[001290].jpg

Totally agree with you as Vinnie should have simply asked to borrow your scan instead of the less than pleasing picture which they took.  (thumbsu  lol

16 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Where does this book rank in terms of highest graded ?

Well, the current census indicates 2 copies in CGC 9.8 and 4 in CGC 9.6 (some dups here maybe???),  with the first 9.8 being Brulato/Via's Curator copy graded back when CGC first opened their doors and the second would be Schmell's (don't think he owns it anymore) former Pacific Coast 9.6 copy that took several runs before CGC finally decided he had paid his dues for the upgrade.  :gossip:

It would definitely be interesting to have a grading competition between these 3 books today given how much CGC's undisclosed grading standards have changed from the time the two CGC 9.8 copies were graded and also what we now know about Brulato's former partner in Via.  :fear:

In terms of changes to grading standards over time, I had about a dozen or more books graded back then as a test of this new grading system and also in time for the big Greg Manning Auction and every single one of them came back between CGC 9.2 to CGC 9.6 (save for 1 equally nice one that came back as a PLOD 8.5), which I strongly believe would not happen today unless they were *ahem*..........."given a helping hand."   :censored:

With respect to these 3 books here, I found a post which I had made about a week ago on this issue here:

On 6/13/2021 at 11:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Since both of you are clearly two of the biggest uber HG SA collectors on these boards here and tend to follow the grading market quite closely, would you say that both of these copies here would grade back out as CGC 9.8 if resubbed today with its seemingly much more technically focused grading standards?  ???

Especially in light of the fact that I believe Schmell had to resub the CGC 9.6 graded Pacific Coast copy of X-Men 1 quite a few times before it finally managed to get that much coveted CGC 9.8 in 2004 that he had been trying to obtain.  Like others have said here, the colors on the Pacific Coast copy are clearly not as bold as on the current 9.6 copy up in the CC Event Auction, but would appear to have better alignment and no slight dust shadow on the back at least.  (thumbsu

As for the Curator copy, since it appears to have been slabbed very early on in the first year or thereabouts when CGC first opened their doors, my thinking is that it was most likely still graded according to the old school grading standards prior to CGC "fine-tuning" their undisclosed grading standards.  No doubt the book would look absolutely gorgeous since it was graded as a CGC 9.8 copy right from the get go. :cloud9:

Any idea if there is a picture or scan of this Curator copy or is this hopefully not the same situation as the famed Church copy of Action 1 which is not available for public viewing save for the lucky few who have been blessed to see and handle the book?  Hopefully, the Curator copy was brought by the current owner himself and not in conjunction with his former "cutting edge" partner or through his Via corporate partnership.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, Funnybooks said:
11 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

The quality of the GA books in CC's current auction is uncharacteristically weak.  Usually, they have at least a handful of big books and pedigrees.

You are being kind...the selection is abysmal 

Well, they do have the odd super nice book in there that should go for big money, but of course nothing at all like the just completed HA offerings. :p

As I had alluded to in another thread here quite early on, imagine what would have happened if the family had watch the news and seen one of the CC/Metro's many multi-million dollar sales go down, instead of seeing Heritage's Batman 1 sale for $2.22M dollars at the start of this year, and contacted them as a result.  hm

Any bets that we would not be seeing these same out of this universe dollar results due not only to the different auction venue, but also due in large part to the grades being different as the books in the collection would have been graded much more tightly (i.e. much more accurately with less obvious overgrading).  :devil:

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

x-m1.21697_4.jpg

If you plan to win your own listing on a consignment, why make it look good?(shrug)

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, they do have the odd super nice book in there that should go for big money, but of course nothing at all like the just completed HA offerings. :p

As I had alluded to in another thread here quite early on, imagine what would have happened if the family had watch the news and seen one of the CC/Metro's many multi-million dollar sales go down, instead of seeing Heritage's Batman 1 sale for $2.22M dollars at the start of this year, and contacted them as a result.  hm

Any bets that we would not be seeing these same out of this universe dollar results due not only to the different auction venue, but also due in large part to the grades being different as the books in the collection would have been graded much more tightly (i.e. much more accurately with less obvious overgrading).  :devil:

Fortunes are made and lost on little chance happenings. Heritage had just made news by selling a Bat 1 (for 2.2 mill?), and it caught the consignors’ attention. CC has made plenty of similar news thru the years and it could have just as easily been them. Would have still made pedigree status, but how that might have affected the grading is an intriguing question