• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

It would definitely be interesting to have a grading competition between these 3 books today given how much CGC's undisclosed grading standards have changed from the time the two CGC 9.8 copies were graded and also what we now know about Brulato's former partner in Via.  :fear:

Sometimes I really wonder why do you have to say stupid stuff like this?  There is no basis for alleging that the Curator copy was trimmed or needed to be trimmed, nor can I see Brulato buying a trimmed copy or why Ewert would try to pull a fast one on his sugar daddy by selling him a trimmed book.

3 hours ago, buttock said:

The family could have seen sales from both, but got turned off by CC's janky amateur website.

Their sale videos are not as professional as Heritage's either.  You get the feel that your dealing with the mom and pop that they are as compared to super fancy Heritage 

On 6/21/2021 at 4:46 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Fortunes are made and lost on little chance happenings. Heritage had just made news by selling a Bat 1 (for 2.2 mill?), and it caught the consignors’ attention. CC has made plenty of similar news thru the years and it could have just as easily been them. Would have still made pedigree status, but how that might have affected the grading is an intriguing question 

Well, if the big Jon Berk collection is any indication which was consigned through CC instead of Heritage, I don't seem to remember many (if even any in fact) posts about overgraded books.  (thumbsu

What I do remember though is that many of the books were being flipped back out encased in slabs with higher grades by some dealers and sellers within mere weeks of the completion of the CC Event Auction.  Of course, this was rationalized away by some boardies here as making perfect business sense since the objective of CCG as a business owner is to make money by maximizing both their top and bottom lines.  As such, it was stated that CGC had a massive interest in undergrading books, particularly those with "improvable" defects.  (tsk)

Any bets that we will not be seeing this same scenario played out when it comes to the Promise Collection of books as they clearly did not follow the same grading playbook which makes me wonder if the choice of the submittor/consignor auction venue had anything at all to do with this.  :devil:

All I know is that as a bidder for some of these books, whether they be the Jon Berk books or the Promise Collection books, and with CGC supposedly being an independent 3rd party certification service, I wish they would just grade the darned books on as accurate and consistent basis as possible, as opposed to seemingly grading the books to their current business agenda of the day.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if the big Jon Berk collection is any indication which was consigned through CC instead of Heritage, I don't seem to remember many (if even any in fact) posts about overgraded books.  (thumbsu

What I do remember though is that many of the books were being flipped back out encased in slabs with higher grades by some dealers and sellers within mere weeks of the completion of the CC Event Auction.  Of course, this was rationalized away by some boardies here as making perfect business sense since the objective of CCG as a business owner is to make money by maximizing both their top and bottom lines.  As such, it was stated that CGC had a massive interest in undergrading books, particularly those with "improvable" defects.  (tsk)

Any bets that we will not be seeing this same scenario played out when it comes to the Promise Collection of books as they clearly did not follow the same grading playbook which makes me wonder if the choice of the submittor/consignor auction venue had anything at all to do with this.  :devil:

All I know is that as a bidder for some of these books, whether they be the Jon Berk books or the Promise Collection books, and with CGC supposedly being an independent 3rd party certification service, I wish they would just grade the darned books on as accurate and consistent basis as possible, as opposed to seemingly grading the books to their current business agenda of the day.  :frustrated:  :censored:

What does the grade matter? Isn’t it about the book not the number in the upper left! 😇

With respect to these 3 Moderately Restored DC GA keys here, it's certainly interesting to see how they all finished up relative to their condition guide valuations.  hm

I guess it's really no surprise that the MP Restored copy of All-Star 3 as graded by the other guys finished up at just a tad over 10% of condition guide value, while the MP Restored copy of Action 1 finished up at over 14% of its condition guide valuation.  Looks like the real Restored winner here was the Moderate (A-3) Restored copy of Batman 1 which finished up at a rather astonishing shade over 50% of condition guide valuation:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-apparent-vg-fn-50-moderate-a-3-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7244-94019.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F7%2F6%2F24176535%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I guess the old adage still continues to hold that restoration seems to have a much greater detrimental impact on the higher condition books like the Action 1 and the All-Star 3 which both were graded as Restored 9.0 copies, while the Bat 1 was graded as a Restored 5.0 copy, although I must admit that copy certainly does present very nicely relative to its assigned CGC grade.  :luhv:

38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

With respect to these 3 Moderately Restored DC GA keys here, it's certainly interesting to see how they all finished up relative to their condition guide valuations.  hm

I guess it's really no surprise that the MP Restored copy of All-Star 3 as graded by the other guys finished up at just a tad over 10% of condition guide value, while the MP Restored copy of Action 1 finished up at over 14% of its condition guide valuation.  Looks like the real Restored winner here was the Moderate (A-3) Restored copy of Batman 1 which finished up at a rather astonishing shade over 50% of condition guide valuation:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-apparent-vg-fn-50-moderate-a-3-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7244-94019.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F7%2F6%2F24176535%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I guess the old adage still continues to hold that restoration seems to have a much greater detrimental impact on the higher condition books like the Action 1 and the All-Star 3 which both were graded as Restored 9.0 copies, while the Bat 1 was graded as a Restored 5.0 copy, although I must admit that copy certainly does present very nicely relative to its assigned CGC grade.  :luhv:

That's interesting.

I'm going to do some math as I post this. The last 5.0 Bat 1 Blue label sold for 360,00 just this past April. Nice looking 5.0 from the scan https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7242-91028.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515 . So if my percentage calculator is correct the Purple sold for 20% of what the Blue label sold for.

Now the 9.0 Purple Action Comics 1 that just sold for 452,000. If we estimate what a 9.0 would sell for today I think 5 million would be a realistic guess. 452k is 9% of 5 million. What does this mean? I really don't know.

On 6/21/2021 at 4:13 PM, lou_fine said:

Ahhhh.................the unveiling of the Impossible Collection at the historic St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel in London, England a few years ago.  (thumbsu

The St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel is very memorable.  Sadly, I couldn't arrange travel for the Impossible Collection unveiling, but "The Booking Office" makes a great backdrop...

Spoiler

22266d06.jpg.b729e00340450ee28b6ede877af3e5d8.jpg