• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen - Amazing Spider-Man collection
2 2

78 posts in this topic

The HULK stole them! Seriously though, wtf, how has that damage to that door occurred?! And how is a long box or a person getting through that?

I would not dream of storing my comics away from home, especially if were only missing a hundred or so issues for the full run of ASM! Sucks for that guy, hope he gets them back, the thieves and the comics!

Never use a storage unit.  I had one get burglarized and the cop who filled out the report told me he would never use a storage unit because they get broken into very frequently.

In my case they had video, license plate, everything.  I never got anything back.  The officer working the case, when visited by me after I got impatient and drove to the police station and visited his desk, said he simply didn't have time for it as he was working cases for things like gang bangers who were driving stolen vehicles through the front of pawn shops to steal guns.

Always have insurance, never use a storage unit.

52 minutes ago, Bird said:

I would think it’s someone the owner knows how did they choose that storage locker and the one near it seems OK 

Agreed.

Someone that knew there was comics in that exact locker. Friend of the owner, acquaintance of the owner, the actual owner of the books, the owner of the storage facility...someone that knew that was the exact unit to target.

Man, that suks!

They are "children's funny books".  There must be a lot more "bigger crimes" to solve in Las Vegas...  :pullhair:

Looks like the police have what they need to run down this guy. Good luck with recovering your books and like has been said here, never store valuble items in a storage locker.

1 hour ago, Turnando said:

Never use a storage unit.  I had one get burglarized and the cop who filled out the report told me he would never use a storage unit because they get broken into very frequently.

In my case they had video, license plate, everything.  I never got anything back.  The officer working the case, when visited by me after I got impatient and drove to the police station and visited his desk, said he simply didn't have time for it as he was working cases for things like gang bangers who were driving stolen vehicles through the front of pawn shops to steal guns.

Always have insurance, never use a storage unit.

I would agree that it's more important to find a murdered than a box of comics. But, if they have all the evidence already, how much work is it really?

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I would agree that it's more important to find a murdered than a box of comics. But, if they have all the evidence already, how much work is it really?

Yes.  It was frustrating.  At one point the police reconfirmed with me that I had insurance.  At that point I realized they would probably not expend much effort on my case. 

Edited by Turnando

1 minute ago, Turnando said:

Yes.  It was frustrating.  At one point the police reconfirmed with me that I had insurance.  At that point I realized they would probably not expend much effort on my case. 

OK, I guess I'm not as surprised. It would still be nice to have their name on the books for the next time, when they get caught!

It has been almost ten years now since the police affirmed they will not investigate property crimes here, since the recession.  You are on your own.  With my insurance company they will only insure collectables for up to 2k (for the whole collection) even though I have a 20k policy.  Robbing a bank for 2k however is a totally different story (or try playing with the IRS!).  You could get a personal article floater policy if your items have been professionally appraised but the cost is going to go through the roof.  I am sure there is collectable insurance that is more reasonably priced but still not cheap, like having a classic car.  Why don't Californians buy earthquake insurance, well it is super expensive!  When I was young I had my apartment cleaned out, maybe 20k worth of stuff, cops filed a report.  I called a month later and asked for status... we don't have any, good day Sir.  I hate thieves.  I wish there were debtors prisons again.

1 hour ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Even with a photo and license plate they can’t catch this guy? Geez. 

Agree, that the police can make out the plate number enhancing the image.. This should be an open and shut case... Those photos have all the evidence you could ask for.

Seems that there's an untapped market for some kind of privately run police force that you could subscribe to.

VICTIM OF THEFT, CHECK FRAUD. BURGLARIES ETC AND REGULAR COPS DONT HAVE TIME FOR YOU?  HAVE ALL THE EVIDENCE ALREADY?  THATS WHERE WE STEP IN!

51 minutes ago, faster friends said:

We have a personal articles policy for over $50,000 in jewelry thru State Farm.

Its $28 a month.

Sounds about right.  Old watch and class ring cost me about 75 bucks a year on PAF policy.  I hope the guy had photos of his books at least to get some insurance money.