• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
21 21

2,569 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2024 at 4:02 AM, WolverineX said:

Are you buying both of them?  Where would be the best place to preorder for the best price?  

My LCS could use a few bucks, and they get all my monthly books, but not my omnibuses and such. So I've decided to do the unthinkable and go through them for them. They've been super appreciative, and it makes me feel better than having my money funnelled overseas to wherever Amazon and the like sends it. 

Bonus: they let me pick which covers I wanted. I know they're not his best pieces, but mediocre Jim Lee art is still above what most artists can produce. 

On 7/16/2024 at 11:32 PM, SpineTic said:
“The ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS book opened up a whole world of access to stories that my
generation never thought we’d get a chance to see. This was the beginning of treating comics as literature worth preserving for future generations.” —Alex Ross
This is the new cover for the Deluxe Edition of ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS—returning to stores on October 1, 2024! Published by Gallery Books and Gallery 13.

451553019_1026916732136989_5580988847096814753_n.thumb.jpg.d0cd8ee6669fdda1a8853ce0e26a6541.jpg

So... this is SA key issues with a foreword by Stan Lee and edited by the esteemed Chris Ryall? Is that what this is? 

On 7/16/2024 at 7:53 AM, Cat said:

So... this is SA key issues with a foreword by Stan Lee and edited by the esteemed Chris Ryall? Is that what this is? 

Back in the 70s, Marvel issues a hardcover book called Origins of Marvel Comics. It had a cover by John Romita, I think. Inside were various intro pages from Stan Lee. The book reprinted key issues from Marvel, including FF1, Hulk 1, ASM1, and others. Each comic had a new, short intro from Stan before the issue starts. This book appears to be a reprint of that book, with a new cover by Alex Ross. There are other "Origins" books in the series, including Sons of Origins that I think included X-Men, then one that focused on female superheroes.

On 7/16/2024 at 7:32 AM, SpineTic said:
“The ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS book opened up a whole world of access to stories that my
generation never thought we’d get a chance to see. This was the beginning of treating comics as literature worth preserving for future generations.” —Alex Ross
This is the new cover for the Deluxe Edition of ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS—returning to stores on October 1, 2024! Published by Gallery Books and Gallery 13.

451553019_1026916732136989_5580988847096814753_n.thumb.jpg.d0cd8ee6669fdda1a8853ce0e26a6541.jpg

I have a Fireside paperback copy of this along with Bring on the Bad Guys, Son of Origins, etc.  I might have to pick this one up!

On 7/16/2024 at 3:54 PM, srezvan said:

Back in the 70s, Marvel issues a hardcover book called Origins of Marvel Comics. It had a cover by John Romita, I think. Inside were various intro pages from Stan Lee. The book reprinted key issues from Marvel, including FF1, Hulk 1, ASM1, and others. Each comic had a new, short intro from Stan before the issue starts. This book appears to be a reprint of that book, with a new cover by Alex Ross. There are other "Origins" books in the series, including Sons of Origins that I think included X-Men, then one that focused on female superheroes.

20240716_155736.jpg

Edited by Chip Cataldo

On 7/16/2024 at 4:03 PM, Dave2739 said:

Are those hardcovers or paper backs? Here are mine. I've always wanted the HCs but all of mine are softcovers. I used to have the HC Spider Super Stories but a cousin swiped it from me when I was a kid and I've never replaced it.

Nice collection! All mine are paperbacks but the bottom center thing is the slipcase for the two Origins books.

On 7/16/2024 at 4:07 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Nice collection! All mine are paperbacks but the bottom center thing is the slipcase for the two Origins books.

Yeah, that slipcase is super cool. All of mine are from childhood, with the exception of the second copy of Origins that I have to replace my original that split into a few pieces.

Question for you guys...

I placed my first order with instocktrades.com and was wondering what is their normal shipping time frame? I ordered books that were in stock and all 3 books came out within the last 30 days. 

On 7/16/2024 at 9:19 PM, Raze said:

Question for you guys...

I placed my first order with instocktrades.com and was wondering what is their normal shipping time frame? I ordered books that were in stock and all 3 books came out within the last 30 days. 

Other fellas on here like @F For Fake likely have more experience with them than I do, but everything I've ordered from instocktrades.com was shipped promptly and the books were very well packed. 

On 7/16/2024 at 6:19 PM, Raze said:

Question for you guys...

I order from them quite a bit. It's really all over the board in terms of shipping time for me. I've had a few orders that were shipped in 2 parts when something was delayed. My most recent order was placed on July 3 and shipped today (July 16). Here are calendar day turnaround times from my last orders: 13, 26 (they ended up shipping some books late), 7, 3, 3, 17, 11, 2, 4, 4, 9, 19. Quite a spectrum of shipping times.

Thanks @srezvan @Dave2739

I placed my order on July 9 last week. 1 says picked and scanned but the other 2 books say waiting to process. Im looking forward to reading the books and was hoping it would be quick. But its ok as Ive started reading Walter SimonsonS Thor run.

And what I ordered was Duke tp, Cobra Commander tp and Lobo compendium vol 1

On 7/17/2024 at 12:10 PM, Raze said:

Thanks @srezvan @Dave2739

I placed my order on July 9 last week. 1 says picked and scanned but the other 2 books say waiting to process. Im looking forward to reading the books and was hoping it would be quick. But its ok as Ive started reading Walter SimonsonS Thor run.

And what I ordered was Duke tp, Cobra Commander tp and Lobo compendium vol 1

Welcome to the Energon Universe. You'll really enjoy the Joe books. For me, Duke was a complete winner, with CC just taking up second place behind it. 

On 7/16/2024 at 9:19 PM, Raze said:

Question for you guys...

you should be able to see the status of your order via their website. Are all three books in that "half circle" state (ie pulled but not shipped?) Or are any of them still open circle (not pulled/fulfilled)? 

That'd be the best way to see what's going on. If they're all pulled usually the status of the order goes to "in process of shipping" or something like that, which might take a day to get the label generated and for post to pick up at which point you'd get your tracking number. 

This month was the first month in a while Ive had no Omnibus-type books from the big boys on my monthly pre-order..

Only big book on my order is the Omnibus of The Woods, which I stumbled across the first few TPBs a while back, enjoyed, so I thought a full read though would be worth it. 

What did you all end up getting in terms of "big books" this month? 

On 7/17/2024 at 12:08 AM, Cat said:

Welcome to the Energon Universe. You'll really enjoy the Joe books. For me, Duke was a complete winner, with CC just taking up second place behind it. 

Yeah I read Transformers tp because I like Daniel Warren Johnson. And thought it was fun. So why not try Duke and Cobra Commander? I dont know if Ill try Void Rivials.

On 7/17/2024 at 10:46 AM, miraclemet said:

you should be able to see the status of your order via their website. Are all three books in that "half circle" state (ie pulled but not shipped?) Or are any of them still open circle (not pulled/fulfilled)? 

That'd be the best way to see what's going on. If they're all pulled usually the status of the order goes to "in process of shipping" or something like that, which might take a day to get the label generated and for post to pick up at which point you'd get your tracking number. 

Thanks. Only 1 of the 3 says "picked and scanned"  the other 2 say "waiting to process".

On 7/17/2024 at 11:52 AM, miraclemet said:

This month was the first month in a while Ive had no Omnibus-type books from the big boys on my monthly pre-order..

Only big book on my order is the Omnibus of The Woods, which I stumbled across the first few TPBs a while back, enjoyed, so I thought a full read though would be worth it. 

What did you all end up getting in terms of "big books" this month? 

Nothing in a few months for me. Next thing I'll be getting is the Marvel vs DC omni, unless something catches my attention between now and then.

Currently where is the best place online to purchase an Omnibus or Deluxe? Am I right thinking the Absolute editions are no longer being released?

I hate to give Amazon all my money but it seems they are the cheapest. (shrug)