• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,515 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2024 at 3:57 PM, piper said:

I quite enjoyed Zatanna!

I've read the Everyday Magic one shot, but for some reason I don't think I ever read the ongoing series. I've owned several of them over the years, for the covers, but never read them as I didn't have the whole story. So now I'm very much looking forward to the read! Dini is always solid, and I've always liked the character as well. Should be fun!

On 5/16/2024 at 2:02 PM, F For Fake said:

I've read the Everyday Magic one shot, but for some reason I don't think I ever read the ongoing series. I've owned several of them over the years, for the covers, but never read them as I didn't have the whole story. So now I'm very much looking forward to the read! Dini is always solid, and I've always liked the character as well. Should be fun!

I admit that the Adam Hughes covers are pretty awesome!  My favourite cover of the run (if I can digress from talking about Omnis for a moment) is this one:

(DC) Cover for Zatanna #5 Brian Bolland Variant Cover

On 5/16/2024 at 5:48 PM, piper said:

I admit that the Adam Hughes covers are pretty awesome!  My favourite cover of the run (if I can digress from talking about Omnis for a moment) is this one:

(DC) Cover for Zatanna #5 Brian Bolland Variant Cover

Yes, a lot of Hughes covers, and Brian Bolland did a bunch of incentive covers for the series as well. Also, primary artist Stephane Roux did his share, and he's no slouch, so this series was like wall to wall awesomeness!

For anyone interested in Compendiums of the original ARAH Larry Hama GIJOE run, the Kickstarter for them is now live! 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skyboundent/gi-joe-a-real-american-hero-compendium-set

$300 gets the 4 volume HC compendium (can't remember if they're slipcased or not)

Contains all the Marvel GI Joe issues and Special Mission issues. Not sure about the Index issues or the Vs Transformers issues.

Screenshot_20240528_180648_Facebook.thumb.jpg.8f2b4109c43dfbfe06321ffa2e0e44c5.jpg

Edited by miraclemet

I am an Omnibus collector and also read about one a month.  I keep them sealed until I decide to read one.  My backlog is huge as I keep buying them.  They are addicting! I own the first printing of the World War Hulk Omnibus.  A new printing just came out.  I paid over cover price to get mine about a year ago.  Does this first printing lose its value now that the new, 2nd printing came out?  I am planning in reading this book soon and was wondering if I should keep it sealed and buy the new one or just open the one I have.

Any ideas. And thanks!

Bleeding Cool states its been confirmed to Rich that both the DC/Marvel omnibuses are a 1 time print deal. There'll never be a second printing. 

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/one-printing-dc-marvel-crossover-omnibuses/

On 5/29/2024 at 4:27 PM, jeffreyk said:

I am an Omnibus collector and also read about one a month.  I keep them sealed until I decide to read one.  My backlog is huge as I keep buying them.  They are addicting! I own the first printing of the World War Hulk Omnibus.  A new printing just came out.  I paid over cover price to get mine about a year ago.  Does this first printing lose its value now that the new, 2nd printing came out?  I am planning in reading this book soon and was wondering if I should keep it sealed and buy the new one or just open the one I have.

Any ideas. And thanks!

Generally speaking, unlike with comics themselves, printings aren't as big of a deal when it comes to collected editions. Most people just want to have the book, and aren't worried about which printing they have. There are exceptions that may make a specific printing more sought after by a segment of collectors, such as cases where perhaps a first printing had a glued binding while later printings had a sewn binding (or vice versa), or cases where later printings have a better/newer restoration performed to the art; but overall, most people just want a copy of the book, and the printing is irrelevant. Typically, when a new printing is announced, and then released, prices will drop substantially on the formerly Out Of Print volumes. That's why you'll see so many books listed on eBay when a new printing is announced, as people are hoping to cash out before word spreads of the new upcoming printing.

As for keeping them sealed, you should do what makes you happiest, but personally I think it's best to open and inspect any book when you receive it, to check for damages, misprints, etc. It happens more often than you might think. Signatures glued/stitched in the wrong order, pages miscut/torn, heck, even the entire books printed upside down. Some crazy stuff happens with these "new" books. If you open it when you get it, you can check and exchange if need be, otherwise you may be in for a nasty surprise when you get around to opening it. Of course, this is just if you plan on keeping and reading the books. If there's any chance you're going to be reselling down the road, sealed copies always sell for more, so it's just a matter of what your plans are and what you prefer.

Good luck and have fun!

On 5/29/2024 at 4:27 PM, jeffreyk said:

Any ideas. And thanks!

Unfortunately, yes (most often). 
The only exception is if there is a notable difference in the printings either in content or construction. The 1st print of the Simonson Omnibus had better binding than printings from years later. So sometimes the 1st prints (if the buyer is in the know and the seller points it out) will still sell for more than the later/newer prints. But that's rare. Most times the value of the early prints (that were previously OOP copies that were worth over retail) drop dramatically in value until the newer printings also go out of print. 

Pretty much what I thought in regards to the value dropping on the first edition when the 2nd printing comes out.  As mentioned above, like many people, I dont really care what printing, I just want to own the book. I guess after I finish the Spiderman vs Venom Omnibus, it's on to World War Hulk!  I love the stories and remember reading them as they came out.

On 5/30/2024 at 10:08 PM, F For Fake said:

JLI Omni V3 finally arrived today, very excited to finally have it. I wasn't sure we'd ever get this, so it's very satisfying to have it exist at all. I'm satisfied with this wrapping up my JLI run. If they did decide to collect the remaining JLI/JLE issues, the Jurgens and Vado and etc runs, I'd buy them for completeness, but they're pretty awful, so no worries if that never happens. This one will occupy me for a bit, it's a big boy!

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

That Kevin Maguire cover is awesome.

I received my Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 2 reprint the other day. So excited to finally get this as I was tempted a few times to buy it off eBay at the crazy prices, but glad that I held off. Crazy to think how limited this series has been with the Omnis considering how popular it was.

Now I need to get back on track to collecting the Spawn Origins HC Deluxes and Invincible Library Hardcovers as I have most of these, but need to continue on before we get anymore that go OOO even though they say these are now Evergreen.