• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,482 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Indeed, if they've already cleaned up the files for the trades, there's a good chance we'll get an omni at some point. That seems to be Marvel's method: clean up for a Masterworks or an Epic trade, then eventually compile them all into an omnibus. If we're getting Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe in an omnibus, What If seems like a shoo-in. 

Personally, I love What if. When I was a grade school kid, I was staying the weekend with my best friend, and his dad took us to the comic shop. That was the first time I'd ever been to a comic shop, and it BLEW MY MIND. My buddy bought a copy of What if V1 #29 (What if the Avengers Defeated Everybody?) and I was fascinated with it. Eventually got him to trade it to me after he read it, and I still have it, one of the few original childhood comics I still own. Later I started reading What if v2 when it was being published. I was once again at the same friend's house, and he had What if V2 #6 (What if the X-Men Lost Inferno). I've told that story a few times here, but the short version is I had to have my own copy, so I talked my folks into stopping by the convenience store on the way home so I could grab one. I read it over and over, and for the first time wrote a letter, which they published a couple of issues later. Since then I've gotten that issue signed by Ron Lim (another one of the few original childhood comics in my collection) and finally secured my grail, an original page from the book. WHAT IF RULES!

Anyway, I love both volumes, and hope we get a HC one day. If not, I may have to break down and buy those trades. So many great stories, and so much superhero carnage! 

I sold off V2 a long time ago (taking up too much room). I guess I should have kept the Spider-Girl issue.

30 minutes ago, piper said:

I sold off V2 a long time ago (taking up too much room). I guess I should have kept the Spider-Girl issue.

I think V2 is great for, say, the first 20 issues or so. After that it's spotty, and the later years were pretty dire (as was most Marvel stuff at that time.) Is the Spider-Girl book still a hot issue? I know I picked a few of them out of dollar bins over the years, and they sold great, but I haven't kept up. I can't keep track of all of the hot Spider-related books, it's a full time job!

36 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Just jumped on Eternals (Kirby Cover), one of the omnis I never got around to picking up before it went stratospheric. IST has improved, so fingers crossed.

Same here on the Eternals Kirby cover of course..also added Hate by Bagge

12 minutes ago, piper said:

I just picked up the Black Widow Omnibus and am thinking long and hard about the Busiek Conan Omnibus coming out next week.

While I did 't finish the BW omni yet, I was actually surprised at how good the post (or late) bronze stuff was. The Marvel Fanfare story was really good.

Edited by bronze_rules

19 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Aquaman needs love too... Aparo Aquaman that is. Bit the bullet and bought these off Amazon while available. Who knows if this'll ever get reprinted? Can't imagine too much demand for this. 

Bought together with my Amazon Prime 30-day free trial. They arrived same day but from different carriers: one from FedEx, another from the mail, and another from a guy with a van. Efficiency at its best.

IMG_2272.thumb.jpg.4db74fb5f1ffcd216f62ef9e48eea60a.jpg

IMG_2271.thumb.jpg.b607bf5e243fc31a0a5263f03b7eed8b.jpg

IMG_2273.thumb.jpg.27acfad84d08d26d5bd9cf77a66f2d30.jpg

I'm not a big Aquaman guy, but I've been tempted to pick these up, as they look very nicely done. I think you're right, I don't expect these were huge print runs, so I'd expect they'll dry up before too long.

1 hour ago, bronze_rules said:

Just jumped on Eternals (Kirby Cover), one of the omnis I never got around to picking up before it went stratospheric. IST has improved, so fingers crossed.

I bought the original the day it came out, right off the stands at my comic shop. Later sold it when prices went nuts. I'll pick up this new one at some point, I"m sure. Between Christmas shopping and Black Friday splurging, I am broke until after the holidays (as far as my fun money goes), so I'm hoping some of these books hang on for a while. The good news is that as you've pointed out, IST seems much better, and most volumes from the last couple of weeks have stayed in stock, so hopefully the ones I need will hang on a little bit longer.

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

Same here on the Eternals Kirby cover of course..also added Hate by Bagge

Really looking forward to the Hate set, I need to grab the Neat Stuff set at some point as well. I'm not in a super big rush, as Fanta seems to do a nice job of keeping their stuff in print. I haven't read most of his stuff in a long time, so I'm looking forward to a revisit.

20 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Aquaman needs love too... Aparo Aquaman that is. Bit the bullet and bought these off Amazon while available. Who knows if this'll ever get reprinted? Can't imagine too much demand for this. 

Nice pickup.  The Steve Skeates stories are good as well.  I've come to appreciate Aparo more with age.  Great artist.

2 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

One of my favourite Kirby Bronze Age runs.  I've been enthusing about it over in the '1000 comics in 2020' thread.

The first printing was an instant LCS purchase for me back then. I only wish I'd appreciated the brilliance of Devil Dinosaur at that time and bought its Omni as well.

37 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

One of my favourite Kirby Bronze Age runs.  I've been enthusing about it over in the '1000 comics in 2020' thread.

The first printing was an instant LCS purchase for me back then. I only wish I'd appreciated the brilliance of Devil Dinosaur at that time and bought its Omni as well.

If I ever get hooked on the king size series (I have one or two and they really are good), I'll likely get the Kirby edition that has Machine Man and Devil Dinosaur included (DD1-3 omitted though).

Regretting not picking up Steranko already, but I've got MMW, Omni, Comics, and Artist Edition already!

Edited by bronze_rules

13 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

2020 derailed my reading train so hard. I read < 200.

16 hours ago, piper said:

thinking long and hard about the Busiek Conan Omnibus coming out next week.

Its a Great Read, and also I love the Art.
I read them as a tpb a few year ago.
but I will try to chase the singles since I want the whole run..!

(thumbsu

Edited by MagnusX

I decided to take a spin to my three fave comic stores around me (within an hour or so around me) the other day.  
I feel I’m on a slight trend of Space-Westerns due to loving the Mandalorian 😂 and yes I’ve been binging Bond flicks lately 😊

9B7734CB-8ED0-44A4-A921-E9A9B5AB969C.thumb.jpeg.ef73498b39191956a971cc6dc8066ade.jpeg

1 hour ago, Icculus308win said:

I decided to take a spin to my three fave comic stores around me (within an hour or so around me) the other day.  
I feel I’m on a slight trend of Space-Westerns due to loving the Mandalorian 😂 and yes I’ve been binging Bond flicks lately 😊

9B7734CB-8ED0-44A4-A921-E9A9B5AB969C.thumb.jpeg.ef73498b39191956a971cc6dc8066ade.jpeg

I enjoyed Sixth Gun at first but my interest fizzled out after the first two trades.  I'm curious what you think.