• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,504 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2022 at 4:44 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Enjoying catching up with this thread, as I've been collecting material in these formats for a number of years now. The biggest frustration for me regarding DC Archives is that they had trailed a new Captain Comet Archive that never got published. [Apologies if this has already been discussed - I'm only a third of the way through the thread]

THE CAPTAIN COMET ARCHIVES

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/1304969.jpg

• Captain Comet faces alien invasions and weird monsters from distant worlds in these stories from DC’s classic science fiction series STRANGE ADVENTURES, as well as his 1970s adventures!

• Collects STRANGE ADVENTURES #9-44, 46 and 49, and SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #2-6.

It is very disappointing that DC became so leery about publishing new Gold, Atomic and Silver Age material, with the exception of the big three. I haven't bothered with the b&w editions. Thrilled that we are finally getting a Silver Age Batman Omnibus hard on the heels of the Wonder Woman. That gives hope that we'll see a Silver Age Superman volume.

Maybe one day they'll give us more. A pity they cancelled this!

https://westfieldcomics.com/wow/art/large/JUL190627.jpg

But while we are lucky to have Bronze Age House of Mystery/Secrets, will we ever see the earliest issues reprinted? At least the forthcoming Phantom Stranger Omnibus will include the original six-issue run from the 1950s!

Yeah, I would have loved to have that Capt. Comet Archive. They also solicited Superman Action Comics Archive Vol. 6 but never published that one either. To the best of my knowledge, the last published volume was Superman Man of Tomorrow Vol. 3. And just 'cause we're talking Archives, here's an updated pic of my Archives. The last photo I posted was missing two volumes. This photo has all of them. Can anyone spot the difference?

IMG_2872.jpg

On 7/30/2022 at 9:40 AM, Dave2739 said:

Yeah, I would have loved to have that Capt. Comet Archive. They also solicited Superman Action Comics Archive Vol. 6 but never published that one either. To the best of my knowledge, the last published volume was Superman Man of Tomorrow Vol. 3. And just 'cause we're talking Archives, here's an updated pic of my Archives. The last photo I posted was missing two volumes. This photo has all of them. Can anyone spot the difference?

IMG_2872.jpg

Legion Vol 6

On 7/30/2022 at 6:40 AM, Dave2739 said:

IMG_2872.jpg

Sgt. Rock #4 & Legion #13?

On 7/31/2022 at 1:45 AM, wormboy said:

Thank you!

That works great too!

I know for sure that they'll get messed up if I display them properly! FWIW I have the following AE's:

The Rocketeer

Wally Wood EC Stories

Best of EC vol. 1

Best of EC vol. 2

Xenozoic Tales

Will Eisner The Spirit vol. 2 [will track down the first volume at some point]

America's Best Comics [for the sake of the Arthur Adams pages]

Starstruck

Conan: Red Nails

Miracleman

On another subject, I was very impressed by your dedicated focus on particular artists, and most especially Paul Pope, who interests me though I have never gotten round to collecting him. I wonder if you'd be willing to show off the particular volumes you have? I suspect some of these are quite scarce?

On 7/30/2022 at 11:38 PM, MagnusX said:

Legion Vol 6

No, but I plan on buying a copy of Legion Vol 6 second print with the corrected dust jacket so I can fix that eye sore on my shelf

On 7/31/2022 at 2:23 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Congrats on completing the Archives. I never quite got that far, and recently I offloaded the volumes I had that were duplicated in the omnibus format. I had a lot of fun during lockdown figuring out the best way to arrange my shelves, and ended up putting my Astro City and ABC hardcovers with the DC. [My Absolutes are on the opposite wall.] Apologies for the crappy photo - and the bendy shelves! As some will notice, there is an awful lot of shrinkwrap, which many purists frown upon. [The tongue-in-cheek comments in this thread are mild in comparison to the strong feelings expressed on other collected edition forums!]. I tend not to remove this unless I want to read a book. My long term plan is to put them all in brodart covers. Sharp eyes will notice that I hacked one of the bookcases to accommodate a radiator!

IMG_20220731_070136.jpg

IMG_20220731_070150.jpg

That's a mighty fine collection you have there and very handsome shelves. For what it's worth, my photos are similarly crappy and my shelves are also bendy! It looks like we have the same 20+ year old shelves from Wal-Mart.

NuValiant. Moe or less complete here - I think there is only one hb I don't have, 'Livewire', which got unusually poor reviews. The indications are that the quality has fallen off a cliff since the company got sold. Note - I actually still have most of the original Valiants from the early 90's squirreled away in boxes! Valiant was a phenomenon, briefly, then. Print runs were very low, the first issues went under the radar, which sparked a feeding frenzy among collectors stampeding the stalls at London Comic Marts. But it passed...and eventually, so did Valiant.

IMG_20220801_072652a.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 7/30/2022 at 6:28 AM, piper said:

Have there been any announcements regarding reprints for the rest of Brubaker’s run?

They've reprinted the first three, so I guess that just leaves...Trial of Captain America, and Return of the Winter Soldier? Is that right? So far I'm not aware of any announcements of those volumes, but I'd have to think they're coming, since they've reprinted the rest of the line, and the first two sold out pretty quickly, yet again. So, it may take some time, but I'd be very surprised if they don't finish the line, and probably go back to print on the first two books yet again. 

On 8/1/2022 at 11:05 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I noticed some love here for Love and Rockets, so I just thought I'd give a heads up on what's coming in October.

Gilbert Hernandez, Jaime Hernandez, Mario Hernandez Love and Rockets: The First Fifty: The Classic 40th Anniversary Collection

Love and Rockets The First Fifty - The Classic 40th Anniversary Collection.jpg

Indeed! That bad boy has been on my radar. I'm curious to see what kind of discounts are available closer to release date. IST vs Amazon, etc. May be one that I have to wait for Santa to bring, but I I can get it closer to $200, I'll probably buy it right away. Should be nice, Fanta does a great job on their archival books.

On 8/1/2022 at 4:21 PM, F For Fake said:

Indeed! That bad boy has been on my radar. I'm curious to see what kind of discounts are available closer to release date. IST vs Amazon, etc. May be one that I have to wait for Santa to bring, but I I can get it closer to $200, I'll probably buy it right away. Should be nice, Fanta does a great job on their archival books.

Yeah, Fanta are truly great. I have the original mags, and the Palomar and Luba hardcovers, but I still have this on order! I was lucky to put my order in early and got a good deal with Forbidden Planet here in the UK. But I think it should be fine to wait until the price comes down, as it probably will, and supply chain issues are hopefully behind us!