• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,503 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2022 at 11:04 PM, F For Fake said:

, the X of Swords OHC

If you’re just following Hickman’s work in collected editions this one really gets in the way; a multi-title, overlong, fetch quest storyline.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Today I got the Strange Adventures hardcover. I'd been following this one in single issues, but all the delays got to me, so it'll be nice to complete the story. 

Damn, I want the SDCC-eclusive TMNT: The Last Ronin hardcover. It's a bit nicer than the regular one, having a stamped debossed cover, and a dust-jacket! 

On 7/22/2022 at 9:41 AM, Cat said:

Damn, I want the SDCC-eclusive TMNT: The Last Ronin hardcover. It's a bit nicer than the regular one, having a stamped debossed cover, and a dust-jacket! 

I impulse-bought one of those earlier.  Passed on the comic when it came out because it's oversized and I'm OCD about that, but maybe it can find a place on the omnibus shelf.

On 7/23/2022 at 12:49 AM, Poekaymon said:

I impulse-bought one of those earlier.  Passed on the comic when it came out because it's oversized and I'm OCD about that, but maybe it can find a place on the omnibus shelf.

Make sure you actually read it. It's a really good story, and not connected to any one story. You just need to know the basics of the Turtles' origins, who they are, who  supporting characters like, you know, without being specific, Mutagen Man, Baxter Stockman, Leatherhead, Fugitoid, Karai, Ray Fillet. Just a for example, I'm not spoiling whose actually in the book. 

After that, you're good to go! Enjoy the heck out of it, mate!! 

My Taschen Avengers library Vol 1 has arrived, superb! Alongside the Spidey one, this giant size slice of amazingness is just magnificent.

I’ve also noticed the next Spawn deluxe volume is up for pre order. Vol 5 comes out in November and I’ve missed these on release each time. Prices on the other volumes via eBay are ridiculous.

Just got TMNT THE IDW Collection volume 14 in the mail. This is supposedly the start of the slide downhill material-wise, as after 100 issues we have a new writing team. I'm still onboard to see how things go, though. 

I just hope we don't have to wait a whole year between volumes, as seems to be the case. Having just gotten into them, the short gap between me finishing vol. 13 and volume 14 being released was blessedly short. I don't like long waits! 

On 7/23/2022 at 4:18 PM, RickSp said:

My Taschen Avengers library Vol 1 has arrived, superb! Alongside the Spidey one, this giant size slice of amazingness is just magnificent.

I’ve also noticed the next Spawn deluxe volume is up for pre order. Vol 5 comes out in November and I’ve missed these on release each time. Prices on the other volumes via eBay are ridiculous.

I ordered this through my LCS just recently. I didn't realize that it was going to be released this soon! 

A couple of thing showed up this weekend. Finally bit the bullet on the most recent Captain America by Brubaker reprint. It had been sitting in my wish list at 50% off at IST for several weeks. FIgured it was time to go ahead and grab it before it eventually sells out. I loved this run the first time I read it, I think I'll hold off until they're done reissuing the whole series before I read it again. These new editions are so thin, I'm a little concerned about what the paper is going to be like.

Also grabbed this new Transformers HC in order to keep that collection up to date. Once IDW officially loses the TF license, I'm going to read all of the HC's in order. Should be fun.

And this Jaime wrasslin' ladies book I've been meaning to buy finally got down to like $15 on Amazon, so it was time to grab it as well.

IMG_7868.JPG

IMG_7869.JPG

On 7/26/2022 at 12:59 PM, Cat said:

Ohh, what's in King Grimlock, @F For Fake? Random old stories or a dedicated set of issues?

Nice pickups! 

Thanks bud!

So, I haven't read it yet, but my understanding is that it was a recent miniseries, like from last year, so a whole new story, which I assume is set in the current IDW continuity (which I guess rebooted after Phase 3?) For the newer IDW stuff I'm just buying them as they come out, and will read then once I do my big readthrough from the beginning. So, I guess we'll see how this one stacks up! it was only like $17 or something, so no major loss if it stinks ha

Ahh. Shame then, as I don't care for this continuity. I already wasted too much money trying to get into it and give it a fair shake before I realised that no, I'm not the problem, there really is just nothing of substance there. 

On 7/26/2022 at 1:26 PM, Cat said:

Ahh. Shame then, as I don't care for this continuity. I already wasted too much money trying to get into it and give it a fair shake before I realised that no, I'm not the problem, there really is just nothing of substance there. 

Yeah, I've a lot of complaints about the reboot books, so my expectations are low. I haven't read any of them yet, but I did pick up the HC's, to keep the collection complete. Once I do my read-through, if I don't care for them, I may sell them off. But I wanted to read everything, altogether, in order, at least once.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:52 PM, F For Fake said:

Yeah, I've a lot of complaints about the reboot books, so my expectations are low. I haven't read any of them yet, but I did pick up the HC's, to keep the collection complete. Once I do my read-through, if I don't care for them, I may sell them off. But I wanted to read everything, altogether, in order, at least once.

I read the series for the first 18 months or so, and in that time the story went nowhere, and literally nothing of interest happened. The one thing that did (a fairly major character in the prior continuity was murdered) was handled as an aside, just a perfunctory task, so no drama there. The creators seemed bored with it too, so I dropped it and never looked back. That also coincided with when the huge gaps in release dates started, which didn't help what little momentum it had. 

On 8/6/2020 at 5:44 PM, F For Fake said:

DC discontinue the Archives line

Enjoying catching up with this thread, as I've been collecting material in these formats for a number of years now. The biggest frustration for me regarding DC Archives is that they had trailed a new Captain Comet Archive that never got published. [Apologies if this has already been discussed - I'm only a third of the way through the thread]

THE CAPTAIN COMET ARCHIVES

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/1304969.jpg

• Captain Comet faces alien invasions and weird monsters from distant worlds in these stories from DC’s classic science fiction series STRANGE ADVENTURES, as well as his 1970s adventures!

• Collects STRANGE ADVENTURES #9-44, 46 and 49, and SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #2-6.

It is very disappointing that DC became so leery about publishing new Gold, Atomic and Silver Age material, with the exception of the big three. I haven't bothered with the b&w editions. Thrilled that we are finally getting a Silver Age Batman Omnibus hard on the heels of the Wonder Woman. That gives hope that we'll see a Silver Age Superman volume.

Maybe one day they'll give us more. A pity they cancelled this!

https://westfieldcomics.com/wow/art/large/JUL190627.jpg

But while we are lucky to have Bronze Age House of Mystery/Secrets, will we ever see the earliest issues reprinted? At least the forthcoming Phantom Stranger Omnibus will include the original six-issue run from the 1950s!

On 8/26/2020 at 5:37 PM, piper said:

The Spectre Aparo run is fantastic!

On 8/26/2020 at 6:55 PM, F For Fake said:

I'm really looking forward to it! I've read several random issues, but never the complete run. Should be a great volume.

That's one omnibus I regret not picking up. I dithered - then it was gone. Here's hoping they eventually reprint it!

On 8/26/2020 at 8:49 PM, miraclemet said:

New arrival. Its that thing where you already own half the content in other HC collections, but wanted the other stuff getting reprinted...

MVIMG_20200826_154113.thumb.jpg.45f7bb6eb8e79a0f428cb58befbc9b31.jpgMVIMG_20200826_154121.thumb.jpg.a62954975e0db10a3b588fb52d1a4d2c.jpg

I know what you mean - if it's got Wally Wood in the title, I'll probably buy it, even if I already have it. The vanguard books are nice. PSArtbooks are fairly comprehensive on the non-EC stuff, but their reproduction is quite poor. [Though I shouldnt carp, as they are the only publisher I can think of who reprints fifties horror sequentially by title/publisher.]

IMG_20220730_095645.jpg

On 9/20/2020 at 7:05 AM, wormboy said:

Thank you.

It’s a good solution for those massive books, you just can’t really stack them or they’re hard to access. If they could each have their own shelf it would be perfect.

Enjoyed the tour! A beautifully curated library! Regarding AE storage, I just keep mine in their boxes, under a table!

IMG_20220730_101624(1).jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 7/26/2022 at 10:35 AM, F For Fake said:

A couple of thing showed up this weekend. Finally bit the bullet on the most recent Captain America by Brubaker reprint. It had been sitting in my wish list at 50% off at IST for several weeks. FIgured it was time to go ahead and grab it before it eventually sells out. I loved this run the first time I read it, I think I'll hold off until they're done reissuing the whole series before I read it again. These new editions are so thin, I'm a little concerned about what the paper is going to be like.

Also grabbed this new Transformers HC in order to keep that collection up to date. Once IDW officially loses the TF license, I'm going to read all of the HC's in order. Should be fun.

And this Jaime wrasslin' ladies book I've been meaning to buy finally got down to like $15 on Amazon, so it was time to grab it as well.

IMG_7868.JPG

IMG_7869.JPG

Have there been any announcements regarding reprints for the rest of Brubaker’s run?