• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,496 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2022 at 7:22 PM, F For Fake said:

Those are essential volumes, and I love them, but it drives me absolutely bug batty the way the changed the spine dress halfway through the run. HOM V3 is coming, I so it'll make things look even more lopsided, assuming they keep the dress of the second volumes.

Still, nitpick aside, yes, terrific and necessary books. When there's a new one I generally save it for the fall, for some spooky seasonal reading.

That sort of change is pretty drastic, not even just a font thing like some of the Marvel ones, just a completely new look!

Makes you wonder why. Is the person responsible for vol 2 even aware what vol 1 looks like…?

On 6/7/2022 at 12:40 PM, bronze_rules said:

FWIW, I finished FF Hickman I & II. 

I mentioned that I don't often step into the modern era, but heard good things about this.

I'll start by saying It suffers from the same issue as a few other moderns I've started to read. Very dense and lots of filler, not really related to storyline. Can be challenging to slog through. That being said, the parts that were good were pretty magnificent (great movie material).

Some highlights 

1) Reed Richards council was a very cool idea and side story taking place in the multiverse. They were all very pedantic as we would expect, and too brilliant for their own good.

2) The side story with Johnny Storm/Negative Zone. felt like Hulk's (hero) journey through Planet Hulk storyline. Very cool and original.

3) Kree/Inhumans story line was pretty cool.

4) Making Ronan and Dr. Doom somewhat more human (esp. Doom and Val), was a good touch.

5) The Franklin Richards journey and culmination with (literally resurrecting and controlling a dead and defeated) Galactus was outstanding and creative. That's the Franklin I always expected he could be. Made Dark Pheonix seem like a regular power character.

6) Thought it was cool that Infinity Gauntlets and ultimate nullifier were small scale guns relative to the power that existed in this multiverse time span. Never realized how powerful Celestials were, but we sure see it here.

All in all, a good read if not for the extra fluff. Don't try to survive off volume 1 alone. It gets really good in 2.

Now as an aside, I thought I would end Conan omnibus collecting on vol 7, but low and behold I'm getting more and more blown away by the modern storylines (Christopher Priest...kiev, devourer of souls, ravager of worlds...). Who would have thought that a title I didn't care much for as a kid, has become one of the most consistent all around great titles, reading with an adult mindset.

Another Hickman FF convert. 

One of us! One of us! One of us! 

Not an omni, just a regular tpb, but my preorder for Simonson's The Immortal Dr Fate miniseries tpb has been cancelled by Amazon for being pushed back by DC too many times with no set date for publication. Shame, as it needs a modern printing. 

On 6/6/2022 at 10:40 PM, bronze_rules said:

FWIW, I finished FF Hickman I & II. 

I mentioned that I don't often step into the modern era, but heard good things about this.

I'll start by saying It suffers from the same issue as a few other moderns I've started to read. Very dense and lots of filler, not really related to storyline. Can be challenging to slog through. That being said, the parts that were good were pretty magnificent (great movie material).

Some highlights 

1) Reed Richards council was a very cool idea and side story taking place in the multiverse. They were all very pedantic as we would expect, and too brilliant for their own good.

2) The side story with Johnny Storm/Negative Zone. felt like Hulk's (hero) journey through Planet Hulk storyline. Very cool and original.

3) Kree/Inhumans story line was pretty cool.

4) Making Ronan and Dr. Doom somewhat more human (esp. Doom and Val), was a good touch.

5) The Franklin Richards journey and culmination with (literally resurrecting and controlling a dead and defeated) Galactus was outstanding and creative. That's the Franklin I always expected he could be. Made Dark Pheonix seem like a regular power character.

6) Thought it was cool that Infinity Gauntlets and ultimate nullifier were small scale guns relative to the power that existed in this multiverse time span. Never realized how powerful Celestials were, but we sure see it here.

All in all, a good read if not for the extra fluff. Don't try to survive off volume 1 alone. It gets really good in 2.

Now as an aside, I thought I would end Conan omnibus collecting on vol 7, but low and behold I'm getting more and more blown away by the modern storylines (Christopher Priest...kiev, devourer of souls, ravager of worlds...). Who would have thought that a title I didn't care much for as a kid, has become one of the most consistent all around great titles, reading with an adult mindset.

I'm looking forward to getting into my Hickman FF omni's, will probably start those soon.

As far as Conan, if there are any volumes you (or anyone else) want, be sure to grab them soon, as Marvel isn't renewing the license after this year. The company that holds the rights has mentioned something about continuing the line, but no one knows what that might look like, or if it'll come to pass. It's a shame because so many of the early Marvel Conan omni's are OOP and very pricey, and now they're only going to get more expensive. Meanwhile it looks like SSOC won't be completed, and King Conan will only get the one volume, before the contract ends. It's a bummer.

On 6/7/2022 at 5:50 AM, F For Fake said:

I'm looking forward to getting into my Hickman FF omni's, will probably start those soon.

As far as Conan, if there are any volumes you (or anyone else) want, be sure to grab them soon, as Marvel isn't renewing the license after this year. The company that holds the rights has mentioned something about continuing the line, but no one knows what that might look like, or if it'll come to pass. It's a shame because so many of the early Marvel Conan omni's are OOP and very pricey, and now they're only going to get more expensive. Meanwhile it looks like SSOC won't be completed, and King Conan will only get the one volume, before the contract ends. It's a bummer.

Does that mean the Conan Epic Collection Original Marvel Years TPBs won't continue?

On 6/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, srezvan said:

Does that mean the Conan Epic Collection Original Marvel Years TPBs won't continue?

That is my understanding. Looks like the sixth Epic collection will be released this fall, and then Conan the Barbarian Omnibus 10, will be the last collections released by Marvel.

Heroic Signatures (the rights holder to Conan) has indicated that they will pick up a publishing program next year, but at this point, no one knows what that will look like, including Heroic Signatures. Likely they'll partner up with another publisher to get the books out, but even so, will they start a whole new series of reprints from the top? Or will they just continue from where the Marvel collections left off? Will the formats match? No one knows. It should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

HS did specifically mention the possibility of Conan showing up in Savage Avengers again at some point, so I'm not sure what sort of deal they'd have in place to make that happen.

From all appearances this was totally Marvel's decision to let the license lapse. I guess it wasn't worth what they were paying for it, which seems odd, considering the metric ton of Conan material they've released in the last few years.

There's a good thread over on the MMW forums that goes into greater speculation and detail. 

On 6/7/2022 at 5:50 AM, F For Fake said:

Yep, I saw that thread over at MMW. I've got them all so far. I really want to finish the Christopher Preist run now. Similar to what happened with Shang Chi I guess. Next volume should be published soon, I think.

On 6/7/2022 at 10:21 AM, F For Fake said:

That is my understanding. Looks like the sixth Epic collection will be released this fall, and then Conan the Barbarian Omnibus 10, will be the last collections released by Marvel.

Heroic Signatures (the rights holder to Conan) has indicated that they will pick up a publishing program next year, but at this point, no one knows what that will look like, including Heroic Signatures. Likely they'll partner up with another publisher to get the books out, but even so, will they start a whole new series of reprints from the top? Or will they just continue from where the Marvel collections left off? Will the formats match? No one knows. It should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

HS did specifically mention the possibility of Conan showing up in Savage Avengers again at some point, so I'm not sure what sort of deal they'd have in place to make that happen.

From all appearances this was totally Marvel's decision to let the license lapse. I guess it wasn't worth what they were paying for it, which seems odd, considering the metric ton of Conan material they've released in the last few years.

There's a good thread over on the MMW forums that goes into greater speculation and detail. 

Do you mind please posting a link? Don't think I've used that site before and Google has weird things for MMW.

On 6/7/2022 at 6:13 PM, srezvan said:

Do you mind please posting a link? Don't think I've used that site before and Google has weird things for MMW.

Does this link work for you? I’m honestly not sure if you have to be logged in or have an account on those forums to access it. 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/marvel-to-lose-conan-licence-again-t37871.html

On 6/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, F For Fake said:

Does this link work for you? I’m honestly not sure if you have to be logged in or have an account on those forums to access it. 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/marvel-to-lose-conan-licence-again-t37871.html

It can be accessed without signing in/up.

On 6/9/2022 at 1:56 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm actually thinking about picking up The New Frontier in Absolute format this year, rather than Multiversity.

Are they doing a reissue? Not sure if they're updating anything, but the original is a beautiful book, and I'd consider it an essential modern DC story. Cooke at his pinnacle. He signed mine several years ago, so it's part of the permanent library for sure. I enjoyed Multiversity, but in a head to head, I'd pick New Frontier every time.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:20 PM, Erndog said:

I ordered a couple DC omnibuses and they said they'd be here today and for whatever reason I am more excited than usual and keep peering out my window for them.

Will keep you posted!

:popcorn: