• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,496 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2022 at 2:47 PM, MisterX said:

Anybody thinking of picking up the O'Neil/Cowan Question Omnibus due next month?

Never read the series back in the day, but I hear it's good stuff.

I am ecstatic, one of my favorite runs. I can't believe this omni is finally happening, the trades have been out of print for years. An essential 80's DC run, from an era when DC was really knocking it out of the park all over. It may help if you are inclined towards the darker side of the DCU, but I'd say it's an essential title for the time.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:28 PM, bronze_rules said:

Recent catchups. I usually don't tread into moderns much, but the raving for these titles piqued my interest. I have to say I wasn't all that thrilled by the Aaron Bachalo Doctor Strange (it was very dense). But I really am looking forward to the FF and Thor moderns. If anyone needs the Rocketeer AE, there's a steal on IST right now (damaged 45, and IST damaged is like new 99% of my experience - I paid full on first day).

in.jpg

That's a terrific deal on the Rocketeer Artist Edition. And I agree completely, IST "damaged" is oftentimes nicer than "new" copies you get from the big boy online retailers. Maybe a lightly dinged corner or something, but often they are in very nice shape, and worth the risk.

I still have my first printing of the Rocketeer AE, which I think was the first Artist Edition IDW did? I wish I'd held onto the box. I used it to ship some original art, and regretted it once I realized how great they are for storing th ebooks. I learned my lesson and have held onto all of my other AE boxes.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:19 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Because it's a relatively cheap method of acquiring complete runs, plus they are easy to display and show off.

A little bit of a b***h to read, which is why I don't have too many omnibuses in particular, but I love collected editions.

Yup, that's it in a nutshell. They aren't as easy to read as a Deluxe Oversized HC with a normal trim size, or as well constructed as a Library Edition or a Marvel Masterwork. But if you want THE WHOLE DAMN THING in one place, Omnis are the way to go, and those big bricks look pretty cool on a bookshelf for sure! 

On 5/27/2022 at 5:39 AM, F For Fake said:

That's a terrific deal on the Rocketeer Artist Edition. And I agree completely, IST "damaged" is oftentimes nicer than "new" copies you get from the big boy online retailers. Maybe a lightly dinged corner or something, but often they are in very nice shape, and worth the risk.

I still have my first printing of the Rocketeer AE, which I think was the first Artist Edition IDW did? I wish I'd held onto the box. I used it to ship some original art, and regretted it once I realized how great they are for storing th ebooks. I learned my lesson and have held onto all of my other AE boxes.

Yep, 1st AE and another that cost way over cover for years (even with reprints). Jumped on reissue. Held on to all my boxes. Makes them feel complete to me.

On 5/28/2022 at 3:24 PM, Skunkboy said:

This beauty arrived today from IST.  Their shipment times have been outstanding lately - I ordered this on 5/20, and it arrived today.  

FFA04BCD-7741-4431-866F-8006F781F777.jpeg

Mine should arrive this week, and I agree, IST seems to have righted the ship since the big warehouse move. All of my orders over the last month or so have shipped and arrived within around a week.

That Xmen: the Fall of the Mutants is beautiful.  I'm planning on purchasing one myself.

Does anyone know or have access to a Daredevil Shadowland Omnibus by chance?  

On 4/15/2022 at 4:15 PM, piper said:

Anyone here read Astro City? I see they just released an Omnibus for it.

Yes! Astro City is one of my favorite series of all time. Though what was released was a standard sized TPB called the "Metro Book" which contains V1, half of V2, and the 1/2 issue - which I think might be my favorite single story of all time.

I believe Busiek said they plan to do an omnibus later on but wanted to get the Metrobook out first.

On 5/29/2022 at 1:51 PM, Erndog said:

That Xmen: the Fall of the Mutants is beautiful.  I'm planning on purchasing one myself.

I have one, if you have a question.

The new 2022 version of the Death and Return of Superman omnibus has finally shipped, looking forward to that turning up.

Next on my list for June is Absolute Doomsday Clock, I really enjoyed that and wish that DC had maintained some of that rebirth/button momentum. Felt like a lot of good stories were coming together until DC practically dropped it all.

Also considering Absolute Multiversity but never read it before. I do enjoy some Grant Morrison madness though. 

Then there’s another giant bad boy Taschen book coming, the Avengers library. Definitely getting this after the quality of the Spider-Man edition last year.

On 6/1/2022 at 6:58 AM, RickSp said:

The new 2022 version of the Death and Return of Superman omnibus has finally shipped, looking forward to that turning up.

I'm looking forward to that sweet fold out page!

Edited by bffnut

On 6/1/2022 at 6:58 AM, RickSp said:

Next on my list for June is Absolute Doomsday Clock, I really enjoyed that and wish that DC had maintained some of that rebirth/button momentum. Felt like a lot of good stories were coming together until DC practically dropped it all.

Also considering Absolute Multiversity but never read it before. I do enjoy some Grant Morrison madness though.

Hey, look, it's me. lol

On 5/29/2022 at 1:51 PM, Erndog said:

I read shadowland in singles,
its REALLY BAD..!

On 6/1/2022 at 8:18 AM, MagnusX said:

I read shadowland in singles,
its REALLY BAD..!

I've read it as well but as a DD collector it's one I still need on my shelf!

On 6/2/2022 at 6:33 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It appears that the "new" Death and Return of Superman Omnibus is the exact same one that I have, from 2020. Can anyone confirm this to be true?

All the reports I've seen indicate that it's a straight reprint of the 2019 edition, right down to the fact that on the back there's still a blurb about the "first time" the foldout was included, which was true in 2019, but is now the SECOND time it's been included. There are only a couple of videos up at this point, but between those, and Omar's 2021 review which mentions the upcoming reprint, and postings at the MMW boards, it looks like this is the same book.