• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,504 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2022 at 4:05 PM, F For Fake said:

Are they doing a reissue? Not sure if they're updating anything, but the original is a beautiful book, and I'd consider it an essential modern DC story. Cooke at his pinnacle. He signed mine several years ago, so it's part of the permanent library for sure. I enjoyed Multiversity, but in a head to head, I'd pick New Frontier every time.

They reprinted it a few years ago (2018?). It's something that I have in TPB format, but I feel like it would excel in Absolute. I think it would fit my collection better than Multiversity, especially since I have the 4 other JL books.

Heads up to any who aren't already aware: Target is once again running their Buy 2 Get 1 free sale on movies, books, and music. There are some pretty good deals to be found if you dig, although the selection isn't super deep this time around. Per usual, you'll find that the prices on books that are currently in stock are similar to Amazon, but the B2G1 makes them a good deal, usually beating IST by a few bucks after you add the discount. Pre-orders are at full MSRP, so there aren't many deals there.

I picked up a few more Transformers HC's that I need, and now I'm nearly done. These sales have helped me piece together most of that collection over the last couple of years, slowly but surely.

More dangerous for me are the movies and vinyl. The movies deal brings the price on Criterions down lower than even the bi-annual 50% off B&N bi-annual sale, and vinyl is rarely a part of these sales at all. So, lots to choose from on that front.

You may have to do some digging, and pull up IST and Amazon in another tab to do your price comparisons, but the deals are worth the small amount of work.

Edit: Worth pointing out that Amazon is also running their copycat sale, but their search function on the sale page is atrocious, and the selection of materials spotty. They do, however, have some random coupons attached to Criterions and other movies, which drive the price down a little, and I've found at least a couple of comic hardcovers that aren't included in the Target sale. Worth poking around, if you're so inclined.

Edited by F For Fake

On 6/13/2022 at 10:07 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They reprinted it a few years ago (2018?). It's something that I have in TPB format, but I feel like it would excel in Absolute. I think it would fit my collection better than Multiversity, especially since I have the 4 other JL books.

If you don't want Absolute, but a step up from tpb, they did do a Deluxe Edition a few years ago. It's pretty nice too. Obviously nothing compared to an Absolute, but still nothing to sniff at. 

On 6/14/2022 at 5:35 AM, F For Fake said:

Edit: Worth pointing out that Amazon is also running their copycat sale, but their search function on the sale page is atrocious, and the selection of materials spotty. 

I'll say. This time, they literally disabled the sort by price function, so you can't find neighboring equal prices in a price sort. No way their software developers can be that incompetent unless it was intentional. Their regular price sort is also atrocious.

On 6/14/2022 at 1:01 PM, bronze_rules said:

I'll say. This time, they literally disabled the sort by price function, so you can't find neighboring equal prices in a price sort. No way their software developers can be that incompetent unless it was intentional. Their regular price sort is also atrocious.

Yes, it's been this way the last couple of times they ran this copycat sale, so I have to think it is by design. They are offering "price matching" of a sort, but they're sure going to make you work for it!

There is a possibility that I went overboard on HC and TPB purchases. But the deals were just so good. 

Complete Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck was 1/2 off. Moon Knight and Kull Omnis, and Conan and Boba Fett were part of Target's Buy 2 Get 1 Free. I preordered the My Hero Academia box set and TMNT Last Ronin as part of that deal. Weird Science box set was a toy show find for $60! GI Joe Special Missions TPBs were cover price at $20 each at a LCS! 47 Ronin was 1/2 off. 

20220618_145503.thumb.jpg.8acbba14a52233c1b9ab5a3ecd687de7.jpg

If anyone's been keeping track, I've been reading all 13 volumes of IDW's TMNT Collection hardcovers. I'm now finished, with volume 14 out soon. I had a whale of a time, and would definitely recommend the run to anyone looking for something a bit different. It was surprisingly violent In parts for a series now owned by Nickelodeon. The first half was far superior to the second, but the second was still enjoyable. The first was smaller in scale, in respect to villains, conspiracies, etc. And they over-relied on the trick of having a bad guy stab someone important, it looks fatal, and gets worse, but help arrives. Second time around you're thinking 'we've been here'. Would have been fine as a monthly to space it out, but when read to closely together, it comes across a bit 'been there, seen that'. Recommended. 

I've now started on the Batman/TMNT crossovers. There's 3, I've got them all in hardcover, which was a bit difficult (in fact volume 2 won't be till 18th of July). James Tynion IV writing, and Freddie E Williams II on art duties. That I was dreading. I first encountered his art on JSA All-stars. It was horrid. Book-ruining horrid. Luckily, Thst man is no more, replaced by a more than competent, exciting, detailed, almost jaw-droppingly good artist. I cannot believe it's the same guy. The art is fantastic so far (jusht finished volume 1). Tynion really gets them as teenagers, back story is a bit ambiguous, leaving you to figure it out if you want to, otherwise just go along with it. It's one hell of a ride, showcasing both Batman and The TMNT at their best. Fantastic reading. Highly recommended. My only gripe: it could have used a few more issues, I felt. I can't wait to get volume 2, and volume 3 is sitting here waiting to go. I went with the Deluxe Edition of volume 1,but it was really unnecessary. Nothing felt essential, I didn't learn anything, and the only interesting thing was Tynion's original pitch to DC and IDW. 

Hope this helps someone on the fence! 

Edit: I've also got Last Ronin shopping to me this week, the hardcover. This book was HUGE last year, so I can't wait to see if it lives up to the hype. 

Edited by Cat

On 6/1/2022 at 1:18 PM, MagnusX said:

I read shadowland in singles,
its REALLY BAD..!

Daredevil's been consistently high quality for the last couple of decades, apart from Diggle's run. Likewise, not a fan.

On 6/9/2022 at 6:56 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm actually thinking about picking up The New Frontier in Absolute format this year, rather than Multiversity.

I have it.  Wonderful book.

As much as I like parallel universe stories, as an event series they do tend to be patchy, so I'd recommend the self-contained New Frontier over Multiversity.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Titan picked up the Conan license. I think this is good news, they do pretty solid work. I’m partial to their line of Alien novels and art/history books

https://www.ign.com/articles/conan-the-barbarian-comics-titan-marvel

This will begin May 2023. Hopefully they’ll bring the entire line back into print. Guess I’ll hold off on tracking down the OOP Marvel volumes.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:46 AM, F For Fake said:

My life's work is keeping...this...thread...on the main page!

IST must have discovered a couple of "lost" pallets after their warehouse move, as they suddenly have a bunch of long OOP Marvel Masterworks back into stock. A few volumes have sold out, but there's still lots of good stuff, including several books that sell for $100+. Most of them are listed at $37.50. Can't beat that with a bat. My first shipments arrived this week. I have a few more coming, and hopefully can score the rest from my Wishlist before they sell out again. If you've missed a MMW in the last few years, it's worth taking a look to see if they have it. 

I also picked up this hardcover reprint of the Superboy LoSH tabloid. This book is huge, and I may need the rest of these now! A lovely $40 book on clearance for $17, couldn't pass it up at that price.

IMG_7195.JPG

IMG_7196.JPG

IMG_7194.JPG

Yep on mmws. They even had the blood variant of Tomb of Dracula for 30 something. Didn't last long though. I picked up a bunch of mmws I've been staying away from. Best deal in long while.

I missed that LOSH though, darnit! Good catch.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 6/30/2022 at 7:31 PM, bronze_rules said:

Yep on mmws. They even had the blood variant of Tomb of Dracula for 30 something. Didn't last long though. I picked up a bunch of mmws I've been staying away from. Best deal in long while.

I missed that LOSH though, darnit! Good catch.

It really is a great deal, I’m surprised so many books are still available! I already had the ToD, but I know I missed some X-Men and Daredevil volumes that I would have liked to have had. Oh well, I can’t complain!

For those in the UK, Forbidden Planet have an omnibus sale on.

A few cool books in there, £35 for McFarlanes Spider-Man ain’t too bad! It may not be the best written story but the large format lends itself so well to that nostalgic art.

I also see they’ve got the Taschen Avengers library Vol 1 up for pre order now too.