• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

843 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2024 at 2:29 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

No I don't think $15,600 is high for a blue 3.5. A 4.5 recently sold for $20,400 and late last year a 2.0 sold for $12,600. I think an argument can be made this did sell a bit higher than one would expect, but considering the level of resto to the amount on the 4.5 that sold for $4,560, it's not a remotely close comparison. This 3.5 was somewhat close to an unrestored copy, the 4.5 may as well have been a .5 or 1.0 once unrestored. But I agree this sold solidly still.

15 to 18k for a blue 3.5 , sure that would be expected these days. "Upon closer inspection" here are the notes:

Grader Notes

chip out right bottom of front cover
readers crease
tear left bottom of front cover
large crease right top of front cover breaks color
small amount of color touch on full right & full left front cover
small amount of glue on bottom spine

So they are saying the entire left and right sides of the book have color touch? If so it seems like a large area to call it slight resto. And looking at the book it looks to me that most of the visible wear is on the left and right edges of the book , other than the corner chips. . A truly baffling mystery. 

On 5/6/2024 at 12:07 PM, Professor K said:

15 to 18k for a blue 3.5 , sure that would be expected these days. "Upon closer inspection" here are the notes:

Grader Notes

chip out right bottom of front cover
readers crease
tear left bottom of front cover
large crease right top of front cover breaks color
small amount of color touch on full right & full left front cover
small amount of glue on bottom spine

So they are saying the entire left and right sides of the book have color touch? If so it seems like a large area to call it slight resto. And looking at the book it looks to me that most of the visible wear is on the left and right edges of the book , other than the corner chips. . A truly baffling mystery. 

I mean as long as the resto falls within the guidelines according to CGC of what is deemed slight, then I guess so. I'd have to imagine the resto itself is maybe very small dots. So even though it takes up the full right and left side of the cover, it's still a very small overall amount in total. I'm just guessing of course though, no way to know without getting a good look at the book like CGC has.

On 5/13/2024 at 9:52 AM, Phill the Governor said:

Will be interesting to see how the 1.0 Universal copy ending in a week does after the restored sale.

:popcorn:

On 5/20/2024 at 11:39 AM, *paull* said:

Mask1 HA.jpg

Getting to by like a Suspense 3 even low grade brings the bids and bucks 

On 5/13/2024 at 6:14 PM, LadyDeath said:

Coming up soon. Should be a doozy.

m.jpg

We shall see still has to catch up on the #1

On 5/20/2024 at 1:13 PM, Phill the Governor said:

Really disappointed with the sale. Was offered 20% more via private sale, should have taken it but had higher expectations. Live and learn!

Sorry to hear that.  It did sell for more than a slightly brittle 1.8 with much better cover appeal in 2022 that sold for $4800.

On 5/20/2024 at 11:13 AM, Phill the Governor said:

Really disappointed with the sale. Was offered 20% more via private sale, should have taken it but had higher expectations. Live and learn!

Tough call.  Selling through Heritage you have to factor in the fees but on the other hand going the auction route may result in a wonderful sale.

On 5/20/2024 at 12:14 PM, comicjack said:

We shall see still has to catch up on the #1

#1 is more desired, right? Mask is new to me but maybe this being a 6.5 will boost it.

On 5/20/2024 at 4:21 PM, LadyDeath said:

#1 is more desired, right? Mask is new to me but maybe this being a 6.5 will boost it.

You bet has nice paper also 

On 5/20/2024 at 2:21 PM, LadyDeath said:

I suspect most collectors like Mask #1 better but I know of collectors that like #2 better.  I just checked the census and there are 81 #1s graded and 61 #2s graded so perhaps #2 is rarer.  In the higher grades the books are quite similar with 7 universal copies of #1 graded 6.5 or better and 8 copies of #2 in 6.5 or better.

On 5/20/2024 at 8:22 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

What voodoo is this?

IMG_0102.jpeg

Didn't LB Cole recreate/re-make a lot of his covers in the 1970s or so?  This may just be another one.  The ones I've seen were color, though.  Didn't know this existed.